Hypothyroidism

Options
Hey guys! So I've been diagnosticated two weeks ago. Two different doctors told me I have hypothyroid.
I have lot of energy and don't gain weight, etc tho.
I would like to know if there are natural ways to stabilize my thyroid? I heard Omega-3 (chia seeds) helps.... ??

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    This is one rare occasion where I will recommend discussing it with your Doctor.

I will also recommend not worrying about it if your weight is stable and you feel perfectly fine :)
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    This is one rare occasion where I will recommend discussing it with your Doctor.

I will also recommend not worrying about it if your weight is stable and you feel perfectly fine :)

I try not to worry to much but I would like to know about that more... I don't like taking med... :/
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Do you have Hyperthyroidism (Overactive Thyroid) or Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid)? I ask because you said Hypothyroidism but you then stated that you have a lot of energy and don't gain weight, which is a contradiction to the diagnosis of Hypothyroidism.

I will say this, I have hypothyroidism and you really don't want to mess around with "Natural" remidies without discussing it with your doctor. If you do not treat hypothyroidism you can develop other ailments from it, including breaking fingernails, non healthy hair, joint pain, infertility, heart disease, and potential for cancer of the thyroid itself which would cause it to have to be removed later.

Do not go to google, do not go to an internet forum please see a doctor, if you don't like their diagnosis go to another but you may just have to resign yourself to taking a tiny pill, every day, 30 minutes before you eat. It's that or the possibility of being sick forever, honestly I prefer taking the pill. It's like taking a daily vitamin.
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    Do you have Hyperthyroidism (Overactive Thyroid) or Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid)? I ask because you said Hypothyroidism but you then stated that you have a lot of energy and don't gain weight, which is a contradiction to the diagnosis of Hypothyroidism.

I will say this, I have hypothyroidism and you really don't want to mess around with "Natural" remidies without discussing it with your doctor. If you do not treat hypothyroidism you can develop other ailments from it, including breaking fingernails, non healthy hair, joint pain, infertility, heart disease, and potential for cancer of the thyroid itself which would cause it to have to be removed later.

Do not go to google, do not go to an internet forum please see a doctor, if you don't like their diagnosis go to another but you may just have to resign yourself to taking a tiny pill, every day, 30 minutes before you eat. It's that or the possibility of being sick forever, honestly I prefer taking the pill. It's like taking a daily vitamin.

Well I have hypo but hyper symptoms .... I don't really understand. Thanks for the answer! <3
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    Anyone??
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Take your pills, I don't know how you have symptoms of one and are diagnosed with another, unless you are saying that you don't feel like you have hypothyroidism. If that is the case, yes, yes you do, just because you don't "Feel" the effects doesn't mean you don't have it, you may have just gotten used to how you feel all the time.

What prompted you to go to the doctor that got you tested for Hypothyroidism?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about medication. There are natural meds out there that you can take. Armour for one which gives you both the T3 and T4 that is needed to regulate the thyroid.

With regards to no symptoms, I got my blood tested a few months ago and it points to a sluggish thyroid however I don't have any symptoms either aside from always being cold. I haven't seen a doctor about it yet though because right now I've been taking my basal temperature in the mornings and I plan on taking the results of that as well as the blood test results to a doctor when I do go see one.
  • Huppmanj
    Huppmanj Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you have hyperthyoidism, not hypothyroidism.
  • Lani1976
    Options

Well I have hypo but hyper symptoms .... I don't really understand. Thanks for the answer! <3

Hey sounds like Hashimotos to me (thats what I have) hyper/hypo swings until the thyroid stops working altogether then you get to be hypo... nice aye! And while it's a pill everyday theres a lot you don't find out til you are living it so i would ask for the antibody test perhaps and go from there. There are natural ways to 'help' when you have Hashis and some say they have cured themselves but i'm not an expert and haven't researched too much on that. Cheers! :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Did the doctor say "you have hypothyroidism" or "your thyroid is low"? If s/he said "your thyroid is low" s/he might have meant your T3/T4 is low, which means you have hyperthyroidism. I'm not a doctor, so I would try to clarify with him/her.
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    Did the doctor say "you have hypothyroidism" or "your thyroid is low"? If s/he said "your thyroid is low" s/he might have meant your T3/T4 is low, which means you have hyperthyroidism. I'm not a doctor, so I would try to clarify with him/her.

I saw two doctors. Both said my thyroid is low.
    So I might experience both?
  • JustJennie1
    Options

Low thyroid is HypOthyroidism.
  • JustJennie1
    Options

I saw two doctors. Both said my thyroid is low.
    So I might experience both?

No. You're either one or the other. Hashimoto's (as someone here mentioned) is something different but you need a blood test to see if you have that. vSeriously, talk to both your doctors, get your results and clarify what they are talking about and what you should do about it.