Do you tell people you're losing weight?

Options

Replies

• lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    NO because I wan't them to notice when I hit my final goal wearing that G-string bikini in Hawaii....

Dude! What IS that in your hand???? :noway:
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I started, it was obvious because I was doing it with a group of people. The reactions were so horrible that I stopped talking about it so I think most people figured I wasn't trying anymore. It was sooooo much nicer not having all kinds of unwanted opinions on how I should be eating or exercising to lose weight. Once I hit the 25lb mark, I started being more vocal about it because by that point, it was apparent to others that I was doing something right. Now, I get asked advice on weight loss and just generally how to be more healthy.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do tell people - mainly because its now quite obvious and as I'm a physician and work in a medical school, the students all want to know what I'm doing and how its going, so I see it as a teaching opportunity for them. It has actually been great, I didnt say a lot to start with but now have my very own cheer squad (and police squad) - I wouldnt dare fall off the wagon now, I'm accounatble to my friends& family AND 86 medical students!! For me this all started when I was diagnosed with diabetes in June... in a way I'm lucky as its much easier to say "sorry I cant eat that, I'm diabetic" than to say "sorry I cant eat that Im trying to lose weight" and deal with whatever reaction comes your way. But I see this as a complete lifestyle change, not a diet so I won't fail.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I am proud of the 25 I've lost so far and don't hesitate to tell people I have more to go. I posted a 23 pound comparison in the same dress on FB and nearly 100 people liked or commented-- the support is amazing.

Because of it I've had friends come to me and ask what I am doing and if I can help them.

I am a blabber mouth by nature and this is no different.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Only my good friend at work and my family. I won't tell any one else at work because I don't care for them to know. They suck anyways.
  • akmlebre
    akmlebre Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I dont bring it up I wait for someone to say something about the way my body changed it makes me feel really proud of myself when I know someone genuinely noticed and isnt just trying to be nice
  • enigmachik
    Options
    I don't talk about it at all. A few people have asked and when they do I answer them, but tend to downplay it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Another thread got me thinking about this.

Since you started eating better, working out, etc. have you told people? Or are you keeping it to yourself?

As for me, I haven't really told anyone. I've lost around 30 pounds so far, and only a couple of people have commented.
    The few people who know that I'm losing weight, how much I've lost, etc. tell me that I look thinner every time they see me.
    I think it's interesting and it makes me wonder if those people actually see a difference, or if they're just saying that to be encouraging/nice.

I think I prefer people not knowing though...

What about you?

I don't talk about it much, or didn't when I was losing. I'd rather just do it compared to saying I'm going to do it. At some point everyone notices and ask hey how did you do it? I want to learn?? Then it's fun. No sabotaging.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone outside of my mom and husband, but when you lose enough weight to consitute a full grown human, the cat's kind of out of the bag.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i tell EVERYONE. why?? that why i'm embarassed to fail. i try harder.
  • spangey13
    Options
    I'm in the "not that heavy anyway" camp and the amount of people at work who offer me sweets is crazy. 2 hours ago, a carrot cake arrived on my desk. I told them that "I need to fit my wedding undies, so thanks but no thanks".

I think there have been three cakes this week and chocolate brownies at work. As well as the usual junk in the biscuit tin.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I was open about it, but the people who knew are close to me anyways. I wasn't talking to alot of people I didn't know closely (haha did that make sense?)

But when I started dating last year/early this year, I had a ways to go so I was always open and honest about it. My now ex saw me lose over 30 lbs - this was my last 30 lbs and it was what made the biggest difference on my body. I changed ALOT when we were together, he kinda had to know what I was working towards.

Now that Iam near my goal and don't plan to lose much more I am kinda stuck - do I tell them just so they know what I have accomplished? do I tell them so they aren't all creeped out by how I watch, mainly, everything I put in my mouth and I exercise alot and I am a little physco about it, or do I just let it go like this was always me.

I'm stumped with that.
  • pears734
    pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    When I talk to people, I tell them that I am trying to be healthy, rather than trying to lose weight. When I say that I am trying to lose weight, everyone quick pipes up and tells me that I don't need to, which is not true. However, when I tell them that I am trying to be healthy, they support me. They won't offer to go out for dessert, and I have even gotten a few workout partners by saying it. There is less stigma attached to saying that you are trying to be healthy too. Not everyone has to know, but it is nice to get support from the people who you spend the most time with.

Also, your friends who you've told are probably saying that you look thinner everyday because they are looking everyday. You have lost 30 lbs!! Obviously, they are not lying. I read somewhere that when you are losing weight, it takes four weeks for yourself to notice a difference, 8 weeks for your close friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the world to notice. Your close friends are noticing sooner, because they know to look.
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I didn't talk about what I ate BEFORE I started changing my habits, so I don't feel the need to talk about it now. I'm watching to see how much weight I'll have to lose before someone mentions it.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    If they ask me or comment on how I look thinner, then yes I tell them otherwise I feel no need to tell them.
  • Joneisha07
    Options
    Or do you get...
    "you dont need to lose anymore weight"!

I get so tired of hearing that one.
  • As_Sweet_As_Pea
    As_Sweet_As_Pea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have told my my mom and aunt, because we live together, and one friend. I have lost 43 pounds this year and I suspect that when I hit the 100 pound loss more people will notice. Hell I don't even notice until I put on certain clothes lol!!
  • kelseylou
    kelseylou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My mom, sister, and husband are the only ones who I have told. I know I will not fail because I refuse to and I am in it for the long haul, but I think it is more because I want to surprise the heck out of everyone I know. Even my mom and sister live 2 hours away so they don't see me very much, which makes it easier to keep things quiet. :)
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    I dont talk about it. My family thinks im a failure and if i dont succeed at losing the weight and have already told them im trying, its just going to be another thing for them to poke fun at me about
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    70 pounds...that is a shame that nobody said anything. :( You go girl!