does hommus have protein?

Options
I put in a mini tub of hommus I had today and it said "0" protein. I thought that seeing it is made from chickpeas (which are a legume), it would be high in protein??

Replies

• Fibbian
    Options
    a legume is only half a protein. a complete protein can be made using a legume and a grain, ex, lentils and rice. hummus is usually paired with pita or crackers as a grain. :) so eat it with grains and you'll get the protein you need.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A cup of chickpeas is about 14.5 g of protein.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    as far as I remember hummus has about 0.7 - 1 gm of protein per tbsp......sometimes you have to check what you select from the list, I often try to pick either the brand I actually use and check that the numbers match and/or check for items that have been confirmed by several members. Not every listing is 100 % accurate
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    IDK What kind of hummus you're buying my favorite is Tribe, it's all natural, with less oil then Sabra (the popular brand around here) and it has 3 grams of protein per 50 calorie serving which is two tablespoons, chickpeas have protein so it's weird whatever kind you're buying doesn't. I'd recommend tribe it's the best!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I experimented with adding different brands, one has zero, the next 3, and the last 12 for protein - for entire container. I'm not sure why they vary.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Whoever entered the item might not have put the nutrition facts in accurately. If it was a specific brand I would compare and then edit the nutritional information.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Yep - shows you cant trust things

look at --sabra humous-- full container - one entry has zero carbs and zero protein, the other does not
  • lynnette26
    Options
    when logging food look for entries that have confirmations, normally more accurate .