Underarm odor since dieting

Options
Ok, ive never had a problem with odor! EVER! But since I have been eating healthy I have a smell...And it seems to smell worse in the shower. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Yes I shave, yes I shower daily, sometimes twice, yes I wear deoderant and I always exercise before showering because of sweating. They will still smell funny directly out of the shower even with deoderant on. I HATE this!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    probabay from all the shaving. shaving leads to lots of dead skin cells on the pit (is your skin getting darker there too?) and those dead skin cells can trap odors

some of my south east asian and arabic female friends introduced to me the idea of sugaring. it's like waxing only they use sugar, it's not hot and it's better for your skin. if you have any salons near you that do threading then they will sugar as well
  • Vogon42
    Options
    Hi, can you describe it?
  • swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your body getting used to the dieting? If you're eating new foods, and working out more, it might take some time for your body to adjust? (Don't really have any research to back this up, it's just a thought...)
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I remember a Weight Watcher leader telling the group about how bad he smelled when he lost weight if he didn't get in a lot of water. I notice that my breath is sort of funky when I am loosing weight.

Nicole
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    probabay from all the shaving. shaving leads to lots of dead skin cells on the pit (is your skin getting darker there too?) and those dead skin cells can trap odors

some of my south east asian and arabic female friends introduced to me the idea of sugaring. it's like waxing only they use sugar, it's not hot and it's better for your skin. if you have any salons near you that do threading then they will sugar as well

I roomed with a Saudi woman in college and she used sugaring, too. I can't remember the recipe. Can you share?
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I've noticed the opposite effect. I have way less pit smell as compared to before with the McDonalds etc...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any physiological reason for that...maybe something to see a doc about?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I roomed with a Saudi woman in college and she used sugaring, too. I can't remember the recipe. Can you share?
    there's a pretty good recipe here:
    http://www.thecrunchychicken.com/2008/08/sustainable-hair-removal.html

it's a bit messy but gets easier as you do it. for the cotton strips i just cut up an old tshirt i was going to throw out anyway
  • jsuemiranda
    jsuemiranda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I noticed that if I didn't get enough water that I had a problem with body odor/breath. Are you getting enough?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Dude, see a doctor or dermatologist.
  • helenta77
    helenta77 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe something your eating more of now, onions or something like that, maybe:-)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Are you paticularly low carb?
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem.. I found that using a good exfoliating scrub and then using antibacterial hand soap under my arms got rid of the odor. Like meshashesha said, it's bacteria and dead skin cells :)
  • phatgirl4
    Options
    well I know your urine can have a differnt odor from certin foods like asparagas for so maybe it some of the foods you are eating, maybe try soaking in a tube with a little bakeing soda in it. Ihope your arm problem will get better.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    it might be your water intake like previous posts said-i also do not drink anything close to what i am suppose to for water intake and i notice my underarms are like that too
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    That is an interesting situation you have there. Kinda odd that it happens while you are in the shower. I would suggest seeing a doc. Sometimes our bodies have weird ways of telling us that there is something wrong. The best thing to do is talk to a professional
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Low carbing can cause odor issues.

My son had problems and use apple cider vinegar on his underarms at night and his regular antiperspirant/deodorant in the morning after his shower for about 2 weeks and it has solved the problem.

This article might help you firgure out what is triggering your issue:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/103713-natural-remedies-underarm-odor/
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Are you taking ephedrine? My sweat had a noticeably different odour for the first few weeks when I started on that.
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Are you paticularly low carb?
    Seconded. Ketoacidosis?