Taco Bell
KFC
Culvers
The Outback

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    None are really great choices... you can healthier choices at each, except maybe Chinese. Mexican, the refried beans will be okay, stay away from the rice. Try to eat chicken. For McDonald's, a chicken salad (but watch the dressing - get a low fat or don't use one at all). Taco Bell... eat off the fresco menu (and make sure to look up the calories for each before you go, so you don't blow your day)... KFC, it would be best to go with the grilled chicken and stay away from the starchy or sugary sides. Get cole slaw or green beans. Culvers...I'm not sure what they have exactly, but you could get a burger but eat only half of it (I think their burgers are pretty big). Outback...steak is great for you and not too many calories, same thing with the sides @ KFC... get a sweet potato or something green.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    I eat out all the time (due to time constraints & convenience - single mom of three kids). Taco bell has their Fresco Style options that are good. Grilled chicken sandwiches are good from BK or McD's but make sure and get them plain, but what the sodium. Culver's? No idea on that one. Chinese - steamed veggies and a cup of white rice. KFC - they have a good honey bbq sammy - but haven't checked the cal/sodium content on it. Hope this helps some.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    How about going somewhere else?

Even when I was a kid and running around to different towns playing sports, my parents never took us for fast food. Your best bet if you eat out is to go to a non-fast food chain (because they usually have nutrition info) and get a sandwich or a salad. Panera is really really good about this and you can "build" your nutrition info on their website. Take away the bacon and the cheese, add the dressing, etc... that's where I choose to go.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I eat out very little, there is just so much crap added to everything. When I do I lean toward Subway, I can leave off the mayo and cheese and still have a filling sandwich. I see coleslaw and potato salad were suggested but honestly they are generally loaded with a ton of mayo and when I did Atkins I learned most restaurant refriend bean have lard added to them, so I never order them out. I always try to look up what I want before we eat out, yes it is a giant chore, but I have a better idea what the best choices are when I get there.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Try this site for nutritional information on many chain restaurants. Try to chose options with more fresh fruits and vege, grilled food vs fried, and stay within your calorie range. Good luck.

http://www.dwlz.com/restaurants.html
  • haberdasher1980
    Options
    Cluver's is suprisingly bad for you. But they have nutrition guides at the locations so you can at least pic and choose what you want based on your needs.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat the beans at mexican restaurants they are made with LARD!
    Go to the chain restaurant websites and check the nutrional values online. Taco Bell has a Fresco line that is awesome!
    KFC has grilled chicken now, but I still think restaurant food is loaded with sodium and preservatives no matter how healthy you try to eat.
  • kelfeene
    kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I stick with Subway, or eat at home! However, in instances where I have to eat out here are my choices....

Mexican - Chicken Fajitas (grilled), pico de gallo, no rice and beans, usually with 1 Tortilla (generally corn)... NO TORTILLA CHIPS

Chinese - Chicken and veggies

Mongolian - one of my favorites - TURKEY :) tons of veggies and garlic, grilled right in front of you...

Jasons Deli - soup (several varieties) and a small salad

Culvers, Taco Bell, KFC, .. are all WAY too tempting for me! I can eat the heck out of some Taco Bell... but I will agree their Fresco menu is practical

I like Mission Burrito, grilled chicken, veggies, no rice, and in a bowl... it is YUMMY!

Applebee's has done better at adding Calorie / Weight Watchers points to the menu! I havent been to Chili's in a while, not sure about them...

I just watch the menu and try to analyze it as if I were making it at home.. and ask the waiter lots of questions, even ask the cook or manager lots of questions... it takes more time, BUT, in the long run.. it is worth it..
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    I need to find what are the best choices when eating out:

Chinese
    Mexican
    McDonalds
    Taco Bell
    KFC
    Culvers
    The Outback

coincidence! i was actually at the outback site playing with their interactive nutritional menu (i love when places are really up front). Basically if you get the outback special steak and stick to 'sane' sides like steamed vegetables, it really isn't a cheat meal at all....sure, maybe a bit more fat than chicken...but that's always the case in the great beef vs chicken debate.
  • ashley_munoz
    Options
    If you know you are occasionally going to eat fast food visit their website and view the nutrition facts. Pick out ones that best suites you and stick to them. If at all possible avoid chinese. Even "healthy" choices aren't all that healthy. Think whole grains, not white rice. Also, not all mexican places use LARD! Just ask them if they use it in the refried beans or to be safe order ranchero beans. Their always a yummy side. You gotta get the fajitas. Stay away from cheeses and sauces. I'm sure you already know this. No matter where your ordering a steak ask for no butter on your steak and veggies. That's one most people forget to request. Like I said earlier, just do your research and stick to the best options for you!