question for pet owners

Options
tanyaMax
tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
is there a cheaper flea treatment, other than advantage, that actually works? i am looking for a cheaper alternative.

what do you use? thanks in advance

Replies

• spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We used Revolution for years, which combines flea and worm treatment, but even that's pretty pricey from memory. Since we built our cats an outdoor enclosure to stop them roaming, we haven't had to use any flea treatment at all, just worming tabs every 3 months.
    I honestly don't think there IS a cheap and effective flea treatment out there though, except maybe flea collars, but they are yucky!
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can get genuine Advantage and Frontline, and probably all brand name de-flea meds, on ebay for much cheaper. That's the only way I buy it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    is there a cheaper flea treatment, other than advantage, that actually works? i am looking for a cheaper alternative.

what do you use? thanks in advance
    If you're looking for one that works, no. Hartz and Sargeants flea products sold in pet stores frequently cause seizures, skin burns, and the seizures can be deadly. Also, they don't work at all to kill or prevent fleas. Often when I am trying to place an IV catheter in a cat having a flea product related grand mal seizure, there are fleas jumping around everywhere.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to believe there is NO flea treatment that actually works. We have tried everything & apart from put the dogs in a freaking plastic bubble boy suit..... those damn fleas keep coming back.... or perhaps never leaving......

They are like damn cockroaches.
  • mollz007
    mollz007 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the special shampoos designed to get rid of fleas?
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My vet, who is totally awesome in every way, suggested this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/PetArmor-Flea-Tick-Protection-for-Dogs-45-88-lbs-3-month-Supply-Dogs/19714739

I'm not sure if it's available anywhere else but Wal-Mart. He told me to get it at Wal-Mart, so I did.

This stuff seems to work fine for my dog, plus the vet says it's okay to go on the cheap with flea stuff, just don't skimp on the heartworm meds. Those he said I need to buy name brand.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the special shampoos designed to get rid of fleas?
    Shampoos generally do not work and do nothing to keep the fleas off the pet after the bath.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Tea Tree Oil. Just mix a drop or two with normal doggie shampoo in your palm, and shampoo as normal, leaving it on for a minute or so before rinsing. It is a natural antiseptic, so if they've been scratching, it'll help keep away infection, will kill and repel fleas (lice too for that matter if you have kids), helps soothe itch, and smells good.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to believe there is NO flea treatment that actually works. We have tried everything & apart from put the dogs in a freaking plastic bubble boy suit..... those damn fleas keep coming back.... or perhaps never leaving......

They are like damn cockroaches.

Fleas build up resistances to anti-flea product (kind of how antibiotics only work on a virus so long before the virus mutates). The area where you live may have pretty flea-product resistant fleas.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    We use Revolution, but it's not cheap either. Try petmeds.com?
  • bikhi
    bikhi Posts: 175
    Options
    www.deadfleaz.com. you don't need a prescription for it in australia. i get 3 months of revolution for about fifty bucks after shipping. i get it for a 20 pound dog.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I have a long haired cockerspaniel and I've used advantage only because I've tried cheaper remedies but they didn't work as well. However, I do use skin so soft (avon sells it for about 6 bucks a bottle) on his coat and it's a natural flea repellent recommended by my vet. It really does work (plus smells nice and conditions the coat), I live in Florida where the humidity is almost always high and fleas run rampant and I haven't had to use the advantage program in almost a year.

Good luck!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    Where I live ticks and fleas are extremley prevelant, so I'd rather spend the money on an effective (albeit expensive) prevention med than have to deal with my dog getting Lyme's or Anaplasmosis that can have effects for the rest of her life.

We use K9 Advantix II and that works great; didn't find a single tick on Nani all summer and she was trouncing around in tall, swampy grass or in the woods every day.
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I looked into the "advantage for $20" thing, and it seemed okay. I might try that next summer. From what I read, you buy it in bulk (like for a very large dog) and then measure the correct dosage for your smaller pets yourself. With 6 small pets, it adds up!
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for your replies :0) greatly appreciate it
  • tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My toy dog is on Trifexis it's flea/tick preventative, heartworm and worming pill all in one. I spend $20 a month on it. But to me it's worth it. 1 pill that does it all :)
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I get a flea pill from my vet, called Comfortis, for my Welsh Corgi. They are dispensed according to weight, so Reggie gets the 20-40# dose...$18 per month. Works great for us! I crush it into powder and mix it into a bit of canned dog food...he sees it as a treat, as he normally eats kibble :wink: