Measurements?!?

Options
Hello...I am new to this whole lifestyle change idea and I would really like to track my progress but I have no idea where to begin. I see people take before/during/after pics which I think I am going to do but I have also heard people talk about measurements. Where do I measure? How often should I re measure? Is it worth tracking? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Neck
    Chest (i go across the widest part, so over the nips)
    Natural waist. This is the smallest part of your waist where it starts to dip in. Or just above your belly button
    Hips, again the widest part
    Upper and lower arms, both of them
    both wrists
    R/L thighs and calves

Measure at the beginning and every 2-4 weeks

The inches do come off but it can be very slow, hence why so far apart.

Good Luck!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    There are various guides for how to measure online, I used wikihow. You take measuring tape (not the kind that can't bend lol) and wrap it around your chest for a number, same with waist (which is at your belly button) and hips (widest part of your hips). You can find out your bone structure by measuring your wrists at their widest point-mine are 6 inches exactly so i'm right between a small and medium build. I also measure my arms and neck for funsies.

I recently lost an inch off of my stomach, even though the number on the scale didn't change. I highly recommend measuring once a week to keep perspective.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Measurements are really good to do. I just did my beginning measurements, although I've already lost a bit before I did them. Sometimes, for me, the scale quits moving while my body catches up. And I'll lose a bunch of inches. I'm planning on remeasuring at the beginning of every month.

I just measured at all the places I want to see a loss. My measurements are labeled. 'Boobs' for the biggest part across my breasts, 'Underboob/back roll' for the largest part around my ribs, 'waist' the smallest point of my abdomen, 'big belly roll' biggest part of stomach, 'hips' biggest point, 'arms' I did left and right but my mom just did one, 'thighs' and 'calves'

So, when I get fit, I will know exactly in inches how much my hard work paid off.

I didn't track them with MFP, I just wrote them down in a notebook.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do

Upper arm (widest part around bicep with arm extended out, not flexed)
    Chest
    Waist (narrowest part of you waist)
    Abdomen (Right around the belly button)
    Hips (widest part)
    Thigh (biggest part)
    Calf (Widest part, not flexed)

I am planning to measure roughly every 5 pounds, or every 2-4 weeks if weight isn't changing.