A bit of a running problem re: pants falling down...

Options
I have lost just over 50lbs and I love to run now, however, my problem is that I have spent a small fortune on running pants, capris, shorts, Nike, UA, etc...and it seems my jiggly butt and gut manage to work the pants down about 3 minutes into my run. With every stride I take, the impact and jarring of my flab literally shakes my pants off. (Lovely visual I know)
Anyone out there recommend a good running pant that keeps all the jiggly bits sucked in while NOT cutting off circulation to my legs and knees? The best ones that work for me so far has been Walmart brand but they are made out of a cottony material that shows exactly where you are sweating and by the end of running it looks like Ive peed my pants ...another lovely visual. So Im looking for a wicking, high wasted, actual elastic waste band and none of these wide yoga type waste bands. Anyone?

Replies

• mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Honestly, courtesy of life-long body issues, I just wear men's gym shorts. They're long, light weight, and if they start sliding down you can just yank the drawstring tighter and tie them off.
  • Firephoenix013
    Options
    You could always saftey pin the pants to your top if you are wearing a long lengthy top and not a sports bra, could also safety pin to your underwear as well to stop them from falling. You could also try double sided sticky tape or even bra tape to try and keep the pants in place, just a suggestion to help keep them on.
  • melleyshelley
    melleyshelley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That is a predicament and I know only a little of what you are talking about. I have some fab cotton ones that do this and occassionally my spandexy ones do this a wee bit when I wear the kind that sit at my hips. My high waisted ones that sit at my actual waist and give me mega mom butt (I'm not a mom) are my favorite that stay up. Have you looked for a higher waist spandexy pair? Or how about finding something that has that string of rubber, like a strapless bra has (sorry, I failed to see if you were mail or female). Also, have you tried going pantiless? Sometimes just the additional fabric underneath will create a sort of slipperiness. One last suggestion....go to your local running store. They are experts about everything running and might have some terrific ideas.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try this first! Get one of those belly bands for prego mama's (they also have some that the market to prevent muffin top) and wear those over some of your pants that you already have. I need them with a couple pairs of my pants (thank you c-sections) and I have a couple pairs of Calvin Klein pants that work great without added help but you can see where I sweat in them to varying degrees. Good luck and hope this helps. :D
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    SPANDEX!!! i wear my spandex legging keeps everything from jiggling and in place
  • 141by2016
    Options
    I just invested in some old navy compression leggings, and for cheepies that you are going to under-grow I LOVE them! Good luck and keep it up!
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Out of all the (expensive) ones I've tried, Target capris are my favorite...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Skins. Sorry but anything the is skin tight has a way better chance of staying up. Try compression leggings.... they work great.
  • pode23
    Options
    This is totally reassuring to read- I have the same problem! I have one pair of go-to pants for running,the rest I have to wear a particular type of underwear to get through the run or I run into the same problems. It's so frustrating!
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tend to just go with any type of pants/shorts that have a drawstring, not only does that help keep my pants on when running but in general I can usually wear them longer as I lose more weight. Right now I have a few cotton shorts and a nylon pair, no long pants at the moment but I try and pick any type that breathes well.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ron Hill capris have a lovely wide waistband and stay put when I'm wobbling down the road :laugh:
  • Firefightergirl18
    Firefightergirl18 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i wear running capris and tie the string.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I dont know where you are, but Marks and Spencers sell some great ones that stay up and do not show the sweat - I have the same problem and these are the only ones I dont have to hold up and that dont take my knickers with them!! Not nice lol.
    Other than that Someone suggested Braces (if you are in the US I think they are called suspenders? Over the shoulder elastic holder uppers lol)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I love these compression leggings from Old Navy: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53935&vid=1&pid=329955012

Just ordered a second pair.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm pretty lean and my new pair of running tights tends to slide down, reminding me of when I was a kid and forced to wear tights under my dresses (I'm pretty sure putting tomboy girls in tights violates a UN child welfare treaty). Not much I can do about that, and they're spandex and nylon. So I just tug them up.

Re: spending a fortune, and sweating in cotton - if you're in the US, Marshall's is your friend. They have athletic sections for both men's and women's, full of spandex and nylon and polyester and other synthetics that wick and will not show sweat nearly as bad as cotton - for a fraction of the price (5-25$ as opposed to 50-150$). When you decide to replace your cotton, consider synthetics (wool will do it too and not stink to high heaven, but for 10x the price - I love wool but have to save up for it).

When "returning" to running (and shedding unwanted pounds), I relied on men's boxers as workout shorts. They look like cute little plaid shorts, they come in larger sizes, they won't ride up or down, and they come in packs of 3 for $6. As I started running longer distances again, I transitioned to synthetics but honestly still wear the men's boxers as shorts when I'm not working out. Nobody can tell they're boxers, they're comfy, and dirt cheap.
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I think Ill go see what they have to offer in the mens department as they seem to have elastic waistbands and not the fold over yoga type waist bands. Draw string jogging pants/shorts are a good idea too but I need something tight over my thighs to make sure no fires start there while I am running ( jiggly rubbing thighs).
    And yes, the c-secton pouch/flap causes many problems while running, I need something to hold it in. Cant pull the pants over top of it or you get camel toe, cant put it underneath or the pants fall down : )
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have a few different pairs of running tights with draw strings, if i dont have them tied up tightly I have the exact same problem. Hike them up a bit above where you would naturally wear them and tie the draw string as tight as you can this should help.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I think Ill go see what they have to offer in the mens department as they seem to have elastic waistbands and not the fold over yoga type waist bands. Draw string jogging pants/shorts are a good idea too but I need something tight over my thighs to make sure no fires start there while I am running ( jiggly rubbing thighs).
    And yes, the c-secton pouch/flap causes many problems while running, I need something to hold it in. Cant pull the pants over top of it or you get camel toe, cant put it underneath or the pants fall down : )

Have you tried a higher wasited pant?with a draw string?
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I got wicking kind from walmart!! They've got 2 kinds there and they're kinda mixed toether. I thought I was getting 2 pairs that were the same when I got home I got 2 different pairs. Target also has a large selection.

Also, If you're needing tops I went to target and got 6 tops for $50! They had tons of shorts on sale too.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Out of all the (expensive) ones I've tried, Target capris are my favorite...

Same here. I own five pairs now.