Zumba, MFP estimations and Zumba Calculators?

Options
Hi guys,

My friend has bought to my attention that there are 'zumba calculators'. I typed in my stats (60 min workout, 168lbs, medium-high intensity) and it said I would burn 600-680 calories in that hour!! The calculator is here at http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

Using MFP, to calculate my zumba calories I use 'Dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist' and get a lot lower estimate of 368.

I know that the only true way (and even these are not accurate), is using a heart rate monitor. I do not have a heart rate monitor at the moment. So has anyone found these calculators at least in the slightest a bit useful compared to the MFP estimates? Like, used one of these, then used a heart rate monitor and found the calculations to be quite similar? Also, I am quite interested if someone can recommend me a decent heart rate monitor for me to buy. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    bump, anyone? :(
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no help. Interested to see if anyone will reply.... about both the zumba and heart rate monitor questions...
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Sorry I have no help. Interested to see if anyone will reply.... about both the zumba and heart rate monitor questions...

Thanks for your reply anyway! It's nice to know I'm not the only one asking the same question!
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I used www.zumbacalories.com before I got my HRM, and it was pretty close to what my HRM tells me. When I use my HRM, I burn about 750-830 calories per hour in a 60 minute class at the gym. I typically don't eat back all my exercise calories, but I haven't had any issues with losing weight and using the online zumba calculators for calorie estimates. I personally think that the MFP Dancing option is not the best to use for logging zumba as it seems to be pretty low when compared to my HRM. However, if you'd rather underestimate your burn, there's no problem logging zumba as dancing (modern, ballet, twist).

I have a Polar FT7, and I love it. You can find it for a decent price on Amazon. Hope that helps.
  • BonjourAmelia
    BonjourAmelia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Woo!
    That's reassuring. I was always iffy on whether or not I was actually burning that many cals in Zumba, (but trust me, I go ALL OUT hahaha)
    Good to know!
    Now i just have to buy a HRM
  • antigone23
    antigone23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM (I'm 5'5", 170lbs, 30 years old) and my average burn in a 1 hour class is about 500-550 cals. That allows me to stay within my target heart rate zone. I once burned 665 calories but my heart rate was in the red zone for a lot of the workout. I would say that zumbacalories.com is an overestimate for me. I feel that I work at medium to high intensity the whole time.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I used www.zumbacalories.com before I got my HRM, and it was pretty close to what my HRM tells me. When I use my HRM, I burn about 750-830 calories per hour in a 60 minute class at the gym. I typically don't eat back all my exercise calories, but I haven't had any issues with losing weight and using the online zumba calculators for calorie estimates. I personally think that the MFP Dancing option is not the best to use for logging zumba as it seems to be pretty low when compared to my HRM. However, if you'd rather underestimate your burn, there's no problem logging zumba as dancing (modern, ballet, twist).

I have a Polar FT7, and I love it. You can find it for a decent price on Amazon. Hope that helps.

I also have a Polar (FT40 w/ chest strap) and find zumbacalories.com pretty accurate as well. My cladsses are 55 minutes and I burn between 450-620 depending on what type of class and whose teaching...I burn less in a toning class. Usually my average is closer to 500-575 per 55 minute class and the deviations are for A) toning zumba or B) This one amazing instructor...Dancing function on MFP does give me signifcantly less. I'm 29 5'7'' and 142 lbs.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are really interesting! I shall look into this HRM. I will not adjust my calories until I have one, and will just estimate from now on using the calculator so I stop eating too little! Thank you so much guys, this is SO helpful. :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    My HRM (Polar F7) pretty much matches what MFP gives me for dancing when I log Zumba. For me, it's ~400cals/hour. Without an HRM, it's safer to follow the lesser number.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I can wholeheartedly recommend a HRM (I use the Polar PT4). I'm like you in that I go BONKERS in class - drenched in sweat, seeing through time, the works - and I burn 680 - 750 calories an hour on average.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Quick question if anyone sees this at this time of the morning - the FT7's are a little pricey, although I have my eye on a few that aren't too bad. Are Polar's FT2's an the likes just as good? Do you need all the chest straps or can you get away with just the watch? I'm guessing it's more accurate with everything else. I'm a bit new to this!
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    Thanks guys! :D I will definitely stick to MFP's estimates until I get my HRM. :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Quick question if anyone sees this at this time of the morning - the FT7's are a little pricey, although I have my eye on a few that aren't too bad. Are Polar's FT2's an the likes just as good? Do you need all the chest straps or can you get away with just the watch? I'm guessing it's more accurate with everything else. I'm a bit new to this!
    You definitely need the chest strap. Polar F4 is basically the same thing as the F7 just an older model and less expensive.
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    You definitely need the chest strap. Polar F4 is basically the same thing as the F7 just an older model and less expensive.

Ooh thanks. I thought I would need it, but I'm just thinking money. Silly me! Found a few sets on eBay where people bought them and never used them. The F4 seems to be just fitting and a nicer price.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I used the same Zumba calculator for months and I usually calculated my calories by finding what the calories were for medium intensity AND high intensity and split the difference. I bought the Polar FT4 recently and used it the other day while doing Zumba and my HRM had me just 4 calories higher than the Zumba calculator when calculated the way I do it by splitting the difference. So you may want to try that until you buy a HRM
  • kellehbeans
    Options
    I used the same Zumba calculator for months and I usually calculated my calories by finding what the calories were for medium intensity AND high intensity and split the difference. I bought the Polar FT4 recently and used it the other day while doing Zumba and my HRM had me just 4 calories higher than the Zumba calculator when calculated the way I do it by splitting the difference. So you may want to try that until you buy a HRM

Interesting! Thanks. :)