Thoughts on Gravy

Options

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    What the heck is a biscuit in the US??

(In the UK a biscuit is any sort of cookie... And a 'cookie' ony refers to the chocolate chip kind!)
    It's a super yummy buttery sort of bread roll.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Amidst all the gravy love... no I do NOT like gravy. Never have.

I've learnt to stomach it though. I spent a year in the UK a few years back, kept going with family to pubs for roast dinner. 50% of the time I forgot to tell them "hold the gravy" and nearly ended up crying every time my delicious roast came to me basically ruined (you can get most of it off the meat true, but not off the potatoes.) I really think gravy is one of those things people shouldn't pre-pour for you. Shouldn't they put it in a gravy boat so you can serve yourself? Most upsetting.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That said - US style biscuits, surprisingly delicious. I first tried them 6 months ago, and thought "chicken doesn't go with scones, you fools", but turns out... it kinda does. Who'd have thunk it.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    img_5241.jpg

GRAVY-- Sausage Gravy over Biscuits-- YUM
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    i think it's amazing but i'm not that into brown gravy. love turkey, country, and sausage gravy. rarely eat it but loooooove it.
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love Gravy!! Or as my hubby calls it, "Liquid Meat".
  • toottoots
    toottoots Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Meh i have to be in a gravy mood Lol

AND i need a separate little pot of gravy to dip stuff in, if my plate is swimming i cant eat it Lol :)
  • toottoots
    toottoots Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Scone!!!
    Ive only ever had scones with jam and cream... theyre more sweet than savory in the uk..

but that photo looks verrrry nice Lol
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on type, use, and how it's made? If you're getting pre-made or packet stuff, it's probably gonna suck.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Gravy is okay....but Ranch is better :love:
  • quelograms88
    Options
    onion gravy on bangers and mash :) nom nom nom!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I went to Arkansas recently and tried chocolate gravy for the first time. I took one bite and grabbed the bowl back and poured that *kitten* all over my biscuits. Mmmmmmmmmm

When I was little, my mom used to make chocolate gravy and we would put over the left over biscuits (homemade) from the day. Our night time treat.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm in Ireland and a biscuit is a cookie. Why, what is it over in the US???
    biscuits.jpgcountry-biscuits.jpgexps5_TH1306C25A.jpgimg_94712.jpg
  • Schnuddelbuddel
    Schnuddelbuddel Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    OMG they're scones!!! But... scones go with cream and strawberry jam!!!!! LOL... I'd hesitate very much to pour gravy over a scone. How odd tastes are!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Never had that biscuits and gravy, you know, with the white gravy? What does it taste like?

Is it the same stuff that goes into chicken fried steak (which I haven't had either)?

The biscuits and gravy kinda looks nasty, but I'd kill a guy to try an authentic chicken fried steak in Texas or whatnot.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    OMG they're scones!!! But... scones go with cream and strawberry jam!!!!! LOL... I'd hesitate very much to pour gravy over a scone. How odd tastes are!
    I don't know who you're talking to, but the pictures I posted are not scones. Scones are typically sweet, and have berries and fruit in them. Biscuits, unless they are raisin or pumpkin or something, are generally salty or bland, like bread. The last picture I posted is a cheddar bay biscuit which is made with cheese, parsley, cayenne pepper, and garlic. A regular biscuit would be fine with jam or gravy because it doesn't have much of it's own flavor, but a cheddar biscuit would be pretty gross with jam or cream.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    It's like liquid bacon.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I went to Arkansas recently and tried chocolate gravy for the first time. I took one bite and grabbed the bowl back and poured that *kitten* all over my biscuits. Mmmmmmmmmm

My great-grandmother would make this all the time.
    I make it now.
    Gravy is proof there is a God!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    maybe i just haven't had good gravy, but i'm not a fan. would rather taste my food than the goo on top of it. OMG GOOD GRAVY!
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I do as long as it's not lumpy. Last night had some delicious roast beef and roast potatoes smothered, and I enjoyed every bite (homemade by my dad, a great cook). I also love the mushroom gravy that comes in a package....don't know why, but it's sooo good over meatloaf!