using MFP after you've reached your goal?

Options
For those of you who have reached your goal weight, or are close to reaching your goal, I was just wondering how many of you are still going to be tracking your food and exercise once you're no longer trying to lose weight?

I'm only 10 pounds away from my goal (my goal was 23 pounds, I've lost 13 so far) and once I lose those I still think I should keep tracking my food, just so that I know I'm maintaining the right amount of calories so that I don't start to backslide into bad habits again. That's not to say that I don't expect to relax my diet restrictions a bit, and have "bad days" now and then, but I just want to know that overall I'm maintaining an average calorie intake that's just right. I also plan to keep up with exercise and going to the gym just as much as I am now (3-5 days a week, depending on my work schedule) since exercise is important for anyone to stay healthy and fit, not just about losing a few extra pounds when you need to.

Just wondering what others in similar situations are doing, if you have any opinions or advice?

Replies

• trollydollymolly
    trollydollymolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Morning,

I have lost 80lbs since January 2012 and have 4lbs to go to reach my goal weight and then I will re-assess.

For me, logging everything has become a way of life and I will continue to do so to ensure I keep on the straight and narrow. It is all too easy to 'forget' something that we have stuffed in our mouth.

Sue
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a way to go yet but am planning on doing that because I get anaemic easily and it helps me see what I am/am not eating to help with that.
  • fatboyruss
    fatboyruss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is a useful tool to track your intake vs outgoings. When you have achieved your target weught, why not use it to keep yourself there at least until healthy eating habits are a natural part of your life?
  • Ro0kin
    Ro0kin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal in August and I no longer need to lose any more weight. When I was losing weight I logged everything but now I have reached my goal I no longer log my food but I still use MFP but only really to record my weight. It is my way of keeping a tab on things. I have gained a few pounds of weight since I stopped logging eveything but nothing that makes me think my weight gain is out of control. If I start to put on another 3 lbs then I will think about logging my food again until I am back to my target weight.
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    Options
    Ive meet my goal in Nov. of last year it was 145. I still logged and lost 15 more pounds by keeping on track.. I started at 175-132 . I meet that goal in April and havent logged my food since then to see if I could do it by myself and I CAN!!! I stayed on here cause of my friends that Ive meet and also I log my exercising which helps me stay on track. So it really depends on how you feel about it.. You can do what I did and try to out and not log to see if you can maintain by yourself.. Good luck to you..

Susie
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I've been here nearly two years, and I reached my goal weight in the first six months.

I don't always log my food... sometimes I take a break from it. Still eating healthy most of the time, but with all the work I've done and continue to do, my TDEE is so high now that it's not hard to maintain. And I'm continuing to set new goals - fitness goals - and push myself further. I didn't reach my goal weight and say, "Ok, I'm done. I can stop now."
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I've been going on and off for logging food.

It's not as important to me as it once was. If I need to drop weight in a hurry, then I'll log. For instance I went back up to 180 over the summer (too much going on to really worry about what I was eating), wanted to run a half marathon again in november, but be under 170 at the start of the race so started logging and dropped 15lbs in a month and a half to be 166 for Sundays race.

I log in because I like it here....not so much the logging anymore
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I hit my initial goal weight in February 2012. Then, I reassessed and decided to lose another 15 pounds. I hit that goal in June. I've continued to use MFP to help manage my maintenance. I find I do much better if I continue tracking. Maybe someday I won't need it anymore, but for the time being, I'll continue to use this tool.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am still in the process of losing, but my husband wanted to lose about 30 pounds and did so using MFP. He lost it quite some time ago, but he still logs all his food and exercise. He says it "keeps him honest." I have to agree with him and can't imagine not logging what I'm eating somewhere to make sure that I'm not relaxing too much to the point of starting to gain again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!