Which do i do first...

Options
Should i exercise then eat or the other way round....???

Or...should i make sure my exercise is either at least a few hours before or after i exercise....????

Does any of this matter ???

Replies

• sweetpeas2000
    sweetpeas2000 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Actually, the best answer is to eat before and after. About an hour prior to exercise a small meal or snack consisting of some carbs help to fuel your workout and eating some protein after your workout helps to repair and build muscle. You may also be able to find a lot more information on this if you google eating and exercise.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It doesn't matter but post workout protein has shown to improve recovery of your muscles (usually best within an hour of working out)
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    generally its reccommended that you have some protein and slow digesting carbs 1-3hours before training (keep it under 30g carbs) .. and within an hour after workout have fast absorbing carbs (30+ carbs with 30+g protein) will ensure glycogen is replenished and aids in muscle recovery
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    generally its reccommended that you have some protein and slow digesting carbs 1-3hours before training (keep it under 30g carbs) .. and within an hour after workout have fast absorbing carbs (30+ carbs with 30+g protein) will ensure glycogen is replenished and aids in muscle recovery

By who?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    It doesn't matter but post workout protein has shown to improve recovery of your muscles (usually best within an hour of working out)

Has it? I'd like to see somewhere with good evidence of this, but I'm yet to be convinced.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Or...should i make sure my exercise is either at least a few hours before or after i exercise....????

Since you've not mentioned what sort of exercise, specified any goals or provided any information on diet, I'm going to go with no it doesn't matter.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Has it? I'd like to see somewhere with good evidence of this, but I'm yet to be convinced.

Yes, it has. But you can do both pre and post supplements if it's resistance training we are talking about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17095924
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Too many variables to say whether or not it matters and more importantly, how much it matters.

I would start by choosing whichever method gives you the best adherence and performance. If eating first allows you to workout with more intensity, do that. If training fasted allows you to workout with more intensity, do that.

Above all else, make sure your total daily intake is appropriate.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I feel better eating after and I usually eat less. but I think it doesn't matter.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16286871

another good study suggestion whey and casein protein prior to workout ;)
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter when you eat; its all personal preference. :) personally id rather work out on an empty stomach but some people hate this
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Yes, it has. But you can do both pre and post supplements if it's resistance training we are talking about.

^ March 2012 issue of AARR will go into the above study in detail for those of you who are members.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    i also generally train fasted then eat majority of my daily calories after a workout (works for me)
    TRIAL AND ERROR
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. I work out at 6:45 am so too early for me to eat. I think it is a personal choice and whatever works for one person will be different for an other.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

^ March 2012 issue of AARR will go into the above study in detail for those of you who are members.

I found more details here http://vuir.vu.edu.au/1436/1/MSSE2006_(3).pdf
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    If I'm hungry before a workout...I eat.
    If I'm not hungry before a workout...I don't eat.
    I ALWAYS eat something after.
  • mexiconona
    mexiconona Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I eat jillian Michaels muffin that I make or have some dried cranberries to start my metabolism and have a cup of coffee with caffein always to get the metabolism up. I always do this before my exercises to make sure I am burning the most calories possible in my body.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I eat jillian Michaels muffin that I make or have some dried cranberries to start my metabolism and have a cup of coffee with caffein always to get the metabolism up. I always do this before my exercises to make sure I am burning the most calories possible in my body.

Food doesn't jump start your metabolism.. it's always working. Timing of food has no effect on weight loss.. but it could affect recovery of muscles.
  • emersonkelly
    Options
    I feel comfortable doing exercise early in the morning!!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    It depends. I'm a runner. I do 8 miles in the morning before work and about 20 miles on the weekend. So, I love to run. For me, if I'm hungry before a work out, I do not produce optimal results. Likewise, if I'm too full, I develop a nauseating effect if I push to finish the run. Hence, I would advice to not run during extreme hunger.