Vegetarian Meals HELP

Options
So i have had an excellent week so far. :smile: The first time in a long time, But i am already getting bored with my meals.
Im good for breakfast and lunch but dinner is another thing. :sad:

Can anybody help me with a 400 calorie main meal - without meat, fish or chicken.

I need some variety. please help

Replies

• Whammers2902
    Options
    As a veggie I tend to have: mushroom stroganoff, mushroom risotto, stuffed and baked butternut squash, veggie stirfry with garlic and chilli and wheat noodles, roasted fennel and red onion with spicy couscous, veggie curry, chana masala, lentil dahl, quorn chilli, quorn spagbol, roasted tomatos (on a low heat for 2 hours in oven they go all caramlised) and I have goats cheese and basil with it, veggie casserole with a little dollop of mash. I admit you do need a good imagination as a vegetarian, it gets so boring! What sort of stuff do you have for breakkie and lunch because that is where I struggle! (I dont eat eggs)
  • flossy25
    Options
    I hate cooking so its really hard for me, i usually have cereal for breakfast, with a fruit for snack, lunch is either a wrap with humus/cottage cheese/ peanut butter/ avo.

Snacks are almonds or cashews but i must say i sometimes dont have the willpower to contain myself.

Then dinner is either some kind of soya product which is getting really boring with stirfry or pasta.

Im not a big fan of rice or beans so my choices are limited.

I have recently started eating eggs again. But once a week or every second week.
  • richmiller82
    Options
    get your self qourn fillets sausages burgers mice etc all meat free but very low in fat its been know to have as much protein as proper meat
  • mmecadon
    mmecadon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a vegetarian (for the most part) too. I don't know how you feel about soup, but I've been really into making lots of soups while I'm trying to lose. Also, for some "meaty" substance, maybe try some grilled eggplant or squash or a portobello mushroom cap. If you're not on Pintrest, check our pintrest.com for some great recipe ideas! Hope this helps!
  • mallorycutting
    Options
    WOuld this meal be eaten by anyone who is not a vegetarian?

I am a vegetarian, my husband is not. A lot of the time we eat the same meals (sometimes I cook up meat and just add it to his).

Some dinners that I make are:

-Basmati rice with a mixture of veggies and edamame on it
    -Pasta with veggies
    -Grilled veggies
    -Black bean burgers
    -Pizza with cheese, and tons of veggies

NOt sure if you like them but there are tons of meat free options out there! Sparkrecipes has a vegetarian seciton for recipes as do a lot of recipe sites. Grilled portabello mushrooms are great on a bun like a hamburger.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Check your seasonal produce for inspiration. Squash and apples are in season. I'd go for some kind of stuffes squash.

1/2 half acorn squash baked then stuffed with a combination of brown rice or quinoa (about 3/4 c), 1 tbs. rasins / or cranberries, sauteed apple and carrot (about 3/4c) and about 1 tb. of your favorite chopped nuts.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I just saw that you don't like rice. Try replacing it with bread. Use a little bit of vegi broth to moisten it, combine it with the other ingredients, and heat it. This will make stuffing.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I make a lasagna that I learned before I learned to cook properly - no need to cook the noodles before hand. It's flexible and adaptable and if you can layer in a pan and time an oven, you can make it.

Ingredients:
    uncooked Lasagna noodles (rice noodles, wheat noodles, whatever, they all work)
    Tomato Sauce (I use one ~28 oz can plus one ~14 oz can - you can use any type you want, but don't skimp, you need a lot, I use kinds that have no sugar added)
    Mozzarella, shredded (I use part skim, usually around 8oz or so)
    Ricotta, one 15 oz tub (smaller tub)
    Veggies* (you can leave this one out, but for me it's the whole point. Any veggies will do. I slice mushrooms, shred everything else. I've used zukes, carrots, basil, spinach, chard, mushrooms, green pepper (thinly sliced), whatever is cheap at the grocery store and in season if possible. One veg per layer, but that's flexible depending on your pan depth).

Assembly:

Layer in 9x13 pan in this order, until just before the top of the pan [always end on the cheese]:
    dry lasagna Noodles
    Sauce (cover the noodles, all the way, otherwise you'll have some crunchy parts, especially on the top layer)
    veg(gies) if using
    ricotta (drop by spoonfulls) and mozzarella cheeses (order doesn't matter).

(you want to divide the amounts into # of layers to get it even - if two layers, put half of the cheese in the first and half in the second. if three, put 1/3... it's easier to do than explain).

Top last layer of cheese with parmesan (1/3 c is typical) - I always forget this, and just add at the table.

Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes, or until the noodles are cooked. If the cheese browns early, cover with foil (use toothpicks to keep it off the cheese).

1/6 of this should be between 400-550 calories, depending on the amount of cheese, noodles, and type of sauce you use.

This was the first thing I ever learned to cook, and I've been making it about once a month for the past 15 years. The hardest part is either hand shredding everything or cleaning the food processor after :D
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    Ok, the second thing I learned to cook is vegan, so might work better, though it does use beans. My mom calls it Beans, Greens, and Grains.

In a skillet, heat oil (mediumish heat), saute minced garlic (couple cloves, to taste) and a chopped onion (or just heat oil and sprinkle in garlic and onion powder).

Add a drained and rinced can of beans (15 oz) and a box of frozen spinach (8oz) (or a bunch of fresh chard or bunch of other greens, chopped). Heat through.

Serve over cooked rice, quinoa, millet, amaranth, or other grain (or even potatoes or bread, any carb will do). You can spice it up with chili flakes or soy sauce and ginger or teriyaki sauce or salsa or curry powder or whatever. It's super flexible, super cheap, super fast, and super easy.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    tumblr_md04kmBJ8U1rvu2voo6_250.gif
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    second-hand-vegetarian.gif?w=300&h=237
  • phillips0911
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash tossed with bell pepper strips, add a little balsamic and feta cheese! SO low cal and nutritious

I also love any kind of veggie and egg white scramble.

I add sriracha to like everything. I love hot sauce.

Flat out wraps with a little cheese, spinach, mixed veggies

black bean and corn enchiladas with low carb tortillas
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pinterest. Pinterst all. the. way.

try searching meatless, vegetarian, veggie, etc. You will get massive amounts of results- some don't fit the bill calorie and nutrition wise, but I've found GREAT things on there.
  • PaulaPalooza
    PaulaPalooza Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh, and some times you have to click "boards" not "pins" to find the results. dunno why.
  • kissthestarss
    Options
    firm tofu... cut it into small pieces add any flavor. mix with veggies. then top with cheese and salsa. very good!
  • kissthestarss
    Options
    so it makes a tofu scramble version of scrambled eggs which I do not eat as well