Eating when bored...

Options
So, sometimes when I'm home and bored, I eat when I am not really hungry....this is a really bad habit and it needs to stop now!! Anyone else have a problem with this? What's your solution?

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have encountered this problem. I chew gum!
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    chew gum and drink green tea or white tea!!
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    This is the reason I am overweight -- people tell me to do something with my hands so that I am not "bored" but I manage to find a way to still eat while knitting, typing, foldng clothes etc.....
    I dont know the answer but I do know you are not alone!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I try to find something to do that isn't eating! Hanging out on MFP and reading posts helps. If I'm at home (I'm never bored at home, too much work to do!) I'll go for a walk or do an exercise video. I guess I should say try to find something to do that's "healthy" so you are motivated to not put food in your mouth. If I'm at work, and in the winter I get bored a lot!, I come here or research something health related on the internet. That's about all I got - hope something helps :flowerforyou:
  • jowans2004
    jowans2004 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Tea helps me
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    That was a HUGE problem for me. I think my mindset changed and that's when that habit changed. I dont know why, but I just dont do it anymore. I come online, check out posts here. I'll look up exercise routines. I'll exercise. I'll talk to my nieces or play with my nephew. I've also rid myself of the habit of eating mindlessly when I watch TV.

At work, I used to eat all day long. The solution....I dont bring/buy food in excess of my lunch and snacks.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    * drink a glass of water
    * chew gum
    * do something to occupy yourself and your mind
    ( have a TO DO list of things that need to get done around the house for example - laundry and the basic chores, or maybe re organizing your closet, sorting and organizing your cabinets, storage room, attic, basement, etc. anything that you have been putting off doing and needs to get done when u have the extra time)
    *go for a walk
    * read a book
    * call a friend or relative to have a little chat n distract yourself

anything to keep your mind busy
  • atouchet
    atouchet Posts: 24
    Options
    *drink water until you can't fit anymore water in your body
    *daydream about being in shape one day
    *go on the motivation & success stories boards on MFP. That's how I got through the first two weeks

Everything that we've accomplished on this board has come from being patient, being persistant and taking it one step at a time.

Example:

Focus on not snacking for 30 minutes
    Then focus on not snacking for the afternoon
    ....on not snacking for the day
    .....on not snacking for another day
    .....on not snacking for the week

If you can do something for three days straight, you've developed a habit, then it's just about sticking to the habit.
  • semperfiwife
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day, so this was a major problem for me. This may sound really crazy, but I started keeping chapstick with me all the time. When I wanted to munch, knowing I wasn't hungry, I just put on chap stick. I can't stand to eat anything when I have chap stick on. Anytime it wore off, I'd just put on more, so between that, gum and lots of water, it helped me not to munch as much.