Do you tell people you're losing weight?

Options

Replies

• LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person. If I know it's someone who's going to be supportive of me (i.e., my besties, siblings, parents, gym buddies), I don't mind sharing. It's helpful at times. There have been a few times that I've been out with friends or family and I've nearly made a poor food choice but they reminded me that I was doing well and to be careful. I mean, it's nothing that you don't know, but it's nice to know that they're trying to encourage you to meet your goals. Now, my work colleagues aren't always as helpful, so I don't always waste my time sharing my goals with them. My boss is the worst of all. I think she's jealous that she's not more disciplined, so she does things "passive aggressively". For instance, at someone's going away party I refused the chocolate cake they were offering and left early. My boss was "nice" enough to bring me a piece of cake that was longer than my arm from my elbow to my wrist (no, I'm not exaggerating, I measured it) with extra globs of icing on the side!

I say all that to say this: feel out the situation. If you feel comfortable, go for it! If not, keep it to yourself. Everyone does not have your best interest in mind!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I never mention it for two reasons. I don't want to sound like I'm fishing for attention, and whenever people find out I'm trying to lose they look at me like I'm crazy. They like "you don't need to loose weight" "why would a young healthy girl like you have to watch her weight"....its really annoying so I just don't say anything.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone anymore because I have lost a lot and people are bored of it, lol. I just do my thing. I used to tell people and I would get unwanted advice, unwanted attention and unwanted criticism. It's none of anyones business anyway. I don't need a reason to say no to a damn doughnut!
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to- but that can really bite us in the but when we gain- are we going to tell them that too? Other than just surrounding myself with supportive people, and supporting others, I try not to push my journey on them- unless they ask of course
  • monteymole
    Options
    Not this time I won't be saying, just because I've been saying I'm going on a diet for the past ten years ! This time i want to prove to myself and to everyone I can do it :)
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I told my dad, my sister, my 2 best friends and 2 coworkers. I told them for accountability and support. I made them promise to ask me monthly how it's going, etc. and I promised I would update them honestly on pounds and inches. I need this to be more than just myself monitoring it to really stick with it, at least until I have made more noticeable progress.

I haven't told anyone else because:
    1) I don't want to be publicly humiliated if I fail (although I don't think will)
    2) I want to see when it becomes noticeable to everyone else
    3) I want to show up at my family reunion next year and shock everyone!
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I DID at first. I couldn't keep my mouth shut because I was so proud.. then I became discouraged when I assumed people didn't notice. So...I stopped talking about it and different people approach me with praises of my bad chick status :laugh:

In other news I..don't seem to like when people notice anymore. Can't explain it...
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When I first did this, I didn't tell anyone other than my hubby, two close friends and a few people in my fitness group (who could have figured it out by reason of my being there anyway). But, since I lost before, than gained and am now losing again, the cat is out of the bag. Most people know that I'm working on it just because I'm about 50 pounds down from my highest weight. Once someone notices and comments on it, I'm honest about what I'm doing.

Sometimes it comes up in conversation with someone who didn't know me before and if it feels right, I'll mention that I used to be fatter, but only if the topic comes up.
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I prefer to tell people so that I feel like they're negatively judging me when I don't stick to what I say I'm doing. It's silly but it works for me - everyone's different!
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to, just because I was so excited. But then I think I talked about it too much, and I don't want to annoy people. I also got tired of people lying to me saying that I didn't need to lose weight. I know they have good intentions, or maybe they just don't want to be mean. But I know that I need to and I want to be healthy. Sometimes I wish people would be a little more supportive.
  • cadams429
    Options
    I don't. But here is why: I was once in great shape! And it's embarassing letting people know that I KNOW I've gotten fat. So I just keep it to myself and hope that one day I'll wake up a size 4!
  • MissDevin
    MissDevin Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Only after my once-a-month weigh-ins.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Only if people ask, but with my eating habits and exercise, I get questions a lot. It kind of makes me happy when people say, "what are you doing? you look AMAZING!" because I feel like I become a walking, talking, billboard for people who have a lifelong battle with obesity. It's also therapeutic for me to be able to tell people about the last 8 years of my life and the lifestyle changes I've made to lose 200+lbs. It's a good forum for opening discussion about an otherwise touchy subject!
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't say so, but if my family notices that I don't go for the 4th slice of pie at Thanksgiving dinner like previous years, they always ask. i don't say I'm losing weight, but more of a "change in lifestyle."
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Not really unless it is brought up. My mum, boyfriend and a few friends know but that is it.
    I usually yo yo diet therefore I tend to keep it to myself, or I get the 'uch you don't need to lose weight!' which is annoying. If they saw me naked they would know hahah.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I told work as that is where all the junk food is. I have 3 people cheering me on, 2 of which have since joined mfp tooobe who ua obese so thats exciting.. I havent told socially as it wont make a difference what i eat there. Im hoping family will notice at christmas without me telling.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I told people when I set out to lose 40 lbs. I figured it would be harder to quit if people were expecting it. If they didn't think I was capable, I managed to surprise them. Some people are more observant, or reluctant to say something, than others. I've received many comments, including, "I almost didn't recognize you." Even one of my children, who didn't see me until I lost the first 30 lbs., said, "When I first saw you, I wasn't sure it was you." I even made a deal with my husband before I started losing. If I lost the weight, he would quit smoking. He only managed to quit for a week, but I'm still good. :wink:
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Only if people ask, but with my eating habits and exercise, I get questions a lot. It kind of makes me happy when people say, "what are you doing? you look AMAZING!" because I feel like I become a walking, talking, billboard for people who have a lifelong battle with obesity. It's also therapeutic for me to be able to tell people about the last 8 years of my life and the lifestyle changes I've made to lose 200+lbs. It's a good forum for opening discussion about an otherwise touchy subject!

You're a fitness ambassador! That's great! I've had several people tell me I've inspired them to lose weight. Love when that happens! Very proud of you for changing your lifestyle and for sharing your story with others!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

You're a fitness ambassador! That's great! I've had several people tell me I've inspired them to lose weight. Love when that happens! Very proud of you for changing your lifestyle and for sharing your story with others!

Thank you! It feels good. I've never been "thin" nor an athlete, neither of which I am now, but I'm working toward health in both departments, so I know people around me have watched and hopefully know that if I can do this, they can do it too! Definitely great to be a motivator!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At first, I only told my husband. After I lost some weight and realized how easy it was, I started telling everyone and make weekly updates on my Facebook page.