Vegetarian Lunches

Options
What do the vegetarians out there eat for lunch? I really need some ideas. I have been eating a sandwich with a chickpea filling. It's good, but I am getting sick of it. I'd really like some good ideas for wraps/pitas/sandwiches..... or anything that is easy and fast to make!

Replies

• hsamaras
    hsamaras Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem! HELP!!! But this chickpea filled sandwich sounds good!
  • angelface12004
    Options
    i'm not a vegetarian but i love to make veggie pizzas, i use the yves veggie pepperoni and all the veggies that i like, also i use salsa as the sauce since it is way better then the sauce that is suppose to go on it. :)
  • Capucine7
    Capucine7 Posts: 40
    Options
    i'm not a vegetarian but i love to make veggie pizzas, i use the yves veggie pepperoni and all the veggies that i like, also i use salsa as the sauce since it is way better then the sauce that is suppose to go on it. :)

Good idea!!! I make a batch of vegetarian Chili and freeze in individual portions for lunches at work.
  • HEasom
    HEasom Posts: 16
    Options
    Hello,

I generally have soup but i work in a bistro so its a pretty easy option for me i usually pick a bean soup like cannelini bean, lentil, or chick pea soup with bread no butter. occasionally i make wraps for dinner tho tonight we are having falafel wraps with a salad of mung beans, leaves, radishes, grated carrot and apple, cherry tomatoes and a little lemon infused olive oil. if we have any in i would put houmous in too. maybe you could make up some bean salads to have for lunch with the above beans in them. or make some homemade soups (which freeze really well). salad with a piece of wholemeal bread would be a nice lunch? hope i have helped a bit my brain is a bit fried after the gym tonight so cant think of anything else, if i do i will let you know :) x
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like fat free refried beans on a multigrain tortilla with lettuce and fat free sour cream. You can add salsa, tomatoes, etc or really live on the edge and add avocado.
    can you post your chick pea recipe?
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like fat free refried beans on a multigrain tortilla with lettuce and fat free sour cream. You can add salsa, tomatoes, etc or really live on the edge and add avocado.
    can you post your chick pea recipe?
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but I like the Morning star Prime Grillers burgers with lettuce and tomatoes and I use the Orowheat sandwich thins as bread with 1 slice of weight watchers american singles cheese and mustard (mustard sometimes because the burgers are very flavorful without it)...

The prime grillers come 4 to a box and you can even microwave them... very yummy
  • DuBrise
    DuBrise Posts: 1
    Options
    Try Falafel and salad,
    Flat bread with roasted veg
    Veg Soups

Good luck
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Make a sandwich with hommus, sprouts, loads of veggies, tomato slices, and cucumbers.

Rice and beans with steamed broccoli.

Soup and salad is always a winner.

Veggie chili, multi grain chips and salsa.

Veggie burgers with a salad.

Tofu dogs with kraut and sweet potato fries.

Lentil stew.

Gazpacho, salad, and fruit on a hot day.

Bean burritos.

I could go on forever......
  • rszpscott
    Options
    Green Giant steamers are my top lunch pick. Easy and delish. Just make sure to incorporate some sort of protein though later. I usually have a Zone bar for dessert and it packs a little protein punch.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    I almost always have leftover dinner for lunch the next day :happy: - I am lazy and that makes it easier! Check out vegweb.com - they have alot of GREAT recipes - the traditional spanish lentils are really good - they freeze well and you can make the leftovers into lentil veggie burgers. Also the Chickpea and Spinach dish - i dont remember what it is called, something about fast and easy chickpeas and spinnach - but it is basically a deconstructed hummus - it is really good with a piece of flat bread and a spoonfull of yogurt! And this is one of my favorite salads in the whole wide world - http://www.thatsfit.ca/2008/09/25/holistic-recipe-of-the-week-warm-spinach-and-quinoa-salad - it takes a little prep - but it is well worth it! I have served this as a dinner to guests and it has never been anything but a hit!
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Here is the chickpea sandwich filling recipe from allrecipes.com.

Ingredients

* 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
    * 1 stalk celery, chopped
    * 1/2 onion, chopped
    * 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
    * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
    * 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
    * salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour chickpeas into a medium size mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Mix in celery, onion, mayonnaise (to taste), lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste.

Nutritional Information
    Vegetarian Chickpea Sandwich Filling

Servings Per Recipe: 3
    Calories: 259

* Total Fat: 5.8g
    * Cholesterol: 2mg
    * Sodium: 576mg
    * Total Carbs: 43.5g
    * Dietary Fiber: 8.5g
    * Protein: 9.3g
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    These are all really great ideas--- thanks so much! I am getting hungry reading all of these!
  • krissybohaczyk
    krissybohaczyk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Find a good low sodium BBQ sauce recipe and combine with Morning Star Farms Crumbles and make sloppy joes. My husband isn't a veggie :) like me but he LOVES it.
  • melissaptx
    Options
    I made this today:

Wheat pita
    2 wedges laughing cow cheese
    roasted red peppers
    red onion
    cucumbers
    sprouts
    banana peppers

170 calories
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I just created this and it was so yummy!

I made a sandwich out of:
    Sourdough bread
    Veganaise
    vegetarian dolma (grapeleaves with chick peas and rice)
    Hummous
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I know it sounds silly but just make a salad, I just add a legume, a few chopped veggies and some type of flavouring/sauce/dressing mon - friday, you can also chuck in some healthy fat, there are SO many variations you can do for this

legume - chickpea, kidney bean, lima bean, lentils, etc...

veggies, the million varities of lettuce/sprouts/alfalfa, cucumber (which you can cut 1 billion ways to make it interesting (cubes, slices, chunks, triangles), bell pepper (diff colours), tomato (cherry, large), celery, beets, sweet potato, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, banana chilli, mushrooms (various types) etc.

sauce, salsa, soy, veganaise, dressing, lemon juice, pepper, chilli etc.

you could also be a bit crazy and add stuff like nuts, fruit (grapes, apple, pear, sultanas), ediable flowers, anything that works for you really

the possiblities are endless its just stopped by what ingredients you have and your imagination :)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I like making this pizza: pita crust, variety of shredded cheeses, then topping it with mushrooms, olives, etc. I cook it in the oven, but it can be done in the microwave if you're short on time or at work!
  • healthycat31
    Options
    My favourite -

Couscous with roasted vegetables - I used sweet potato, peppers, mushrooms, and courgettes. You could throw in some black olives.too.

Sweet baked potato or baked potato topped with beans (baked beans or kidney beans), or loads of sweetcorn and chives

Falafels in a wholewheat pita with shredded lettuce, grated carrot, red cabbage, and houmous or tzatziki

Scrambled egg with red peppers, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms in a whole wheat pita bread

Quesedillas using whole wheat tortillas. I use cheese, spring onions, green, and red peppers for the filling

A green pesto, tomato, and basil grilled sandwich using seeded or whole wheat bread

Spinach leaves, wild rocket, cress, tomato, and cheddar cheese in a seeded roll

Grilled mushrooms and tomato sandwich using mutli grain or whole wheat bread

Cooked black beams or kidney beans with brown rice in a whole wheat wrap

A salad - spinach leaves, marinated 'Quorn' chicken style pieces & sliced red ball pepper. I use the Nando's marinade.

A vegetarian shepherd's pie - potatoes, some cheese, herbs, spices, veggie mince, carrot, leek, onion, mushrooms, courgette, & a little passata/tomato sauce
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm not one to go for processed foods and dont like to tell people to eat them....
    But....
    I love Fantastic's - Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
    Vegetarian Taco Mix

Packed with a ton of protein. Yummy Yummy.

I eat this on days that I dont feel well. It helps me meet all of my goals without eating alot.