no carbs...

Options
im loosing weight fast with a no carb diet.. is it healthy to loose weight this fast.. 12 pounds in two weeks

Replies

• MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Kinda fast.....
  • couponaddic
    Options
    I wouldn't say its too fast. If you don't eat a lot of carbs then you will loose weight fast.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No carbs at all? Or maybe you mean low-carb? I hope you are getting in a multi-vitamin and I would think you would need a calcium supplement. Are you doing a supplement for fiber too? Are you eating a lot of nuts?

If the twelve pounds was your first week, that's normal. But you don't want to stay at that pace. And I would allow yourself at least *some* carbs because you really need to eat fruits and veggies.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Just be careful because I am a diabetic and my doctor said it can be dangerous to not eat carbs as your body needs some carbs to run. Please consult a physician about a minimum carb amount.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "no carb"?

I eat a very low carb diet, but I do not think it's healthy to eat NO carbs because that would mean that you aren't eating any vegetables. Even an egg has a couple grams of carbs.

I hope that your focus is on healthy, unprocessed low carb food.

Depending on your starting weight, 12 pounds is too fast, but it likely is mostly water weight. I hope you are drinking lots of water too.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    To lose a pound requires a caloric deficiet of 3500. Losing 12 pounds in two weeks means a deficiet of 300 calories a day which unless you exercise one heck of a lot is likely not happening. What is probably happening is you are losing water and some fat, not just fat. Carbs allow you to maintain hydration (hence carbohydrate) and when you do not have carbs you start losing water weight
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight you are losing.
  • HeatherMarieBe
    HeatherMarieBe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    low carb diet is a great way to lose weight! but you should be eating lots of protein too!
  • angellebenitez
    angellebenitez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help.. yes it has to be low carb.. i am deff.. still eating fruits.. i am now down.. fifteen pounds.. from my highest weight.. thanks yall
  • angellebenitez
    angellebenitez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help.. yes it has to be low carb.. i am deff.. still eating fruits.. i am now down.. fifteen pounds.. from my highest weight.. thanks yall
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yea, with a low carb diet it is not that unusual to have a large drop at the beginning. It is simply water weight. Your body uses carbs to make glycogen which is stored in your body (our body uses these store for energy - ever hear of a runner "hitting the wall". That's because thu depleted their glycogen stores). Glycogen requires water to be stored. So when your store of glycogen goes down, so does you weight.
    Keep in mind that the firs time you eat higher than normal carbs you will likely see a spike in your weight for the same reason.

Note - to all those who inevitably say "so my 50-100-whatever" pounds of weight loss was only water - no. You will continue to lose weight if in a deficit, however, that initial quick drop is mostly water.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water weight you are losing.
    This. If you cut out the carbs, probably 10LBS of that is water.
  • Sonya139
    Sonya139 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That's hard to sustain.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yep, no carb will make you dehydrated, water weight will go, and fatigued , 12 pounds in 2 weeks, is really fast
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Probably not a good idea judging from your photo.
    Slowly reintroduce carbs into your life and read up on physiology.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Yea, with a low carb diet it is not that unusual to have a large drop at the beginning. It is simply water weight. Your body uses carbs to make glycogen which is stored in your body (our body uses these store for energy - ever hear of a runner "hitting the wall". That's because thu depleted their glycogen stores). Glycogen requires water to be stored. So when your store of glycogen goes down, so does you weight.
    Keep in mind that the firs time you eat higher than normal carbs you will likely see a spike in your weight for the same reason.

Note - to all those who inevitably say "so my 50-100-whatever" pounds of weight loss was only water - no. You will continue to lose weight if in a deficit, however, that initial quick drop is mostly water.

This. Drink water, eat veggies, and maybe bump up your calories? How much do you feel you need to lose?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    im loosing weight fast with a no carb diet.. is it healthy to loose weight this fast.. 12 pounds in two weeks

This is common with a very low-carb diet, it isn't unhealthy, and you won't keep on losing at that pace. Some of that is water weight; as your body uses up stored glycogen, it also releases the water that was stored with the glycogen. Drink lots of water, eat until you're satisfied but not stuffed, make sure you eat plenty of veggies (leafy green especially) and fat. You'll naturally settle into a reduced calorie intake without having to strictly count and limit calories.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am low carb, low cal, high protein. GREAT way to lose weight BUT you ahve to be understand the ins and outs of this LIFESTYLE. The lower the carbs, more constipation be sure you are getting enough Fiber. I add Chia seeds to my yogurt (which you may not be choosing dairy yet but you should begni to add small amounts back in at this time if you haven't already. Cheese, yogurt and skim milk in moderation. Women NEED calcium. Add nuts back slowly as well. Almonds are another great source of calcium as well as other vital nutrients. They are also a good way to boost calories if you are experiencing too much of a deficit.

Ultimately your goal with this lifestyle change to be complete and long term, you have to introduce things SLOW and remember to always monitor. Don't plan on going back to similar eating habits once you hit your goal. Low carb loss returning to prior diet after loss, even doing so slowly, will bring you right back here. I speak from experience. Do it right. Accept the changes and keep them permanently. YES every once in a while you will slip, indulge, fall off the wagon, whatever. Let it be ONE MEAL, not one DAY or one WEEK. Indulging once in a while is fine,e ven the doc says to do this. But be prepared to make changes you can live with for your life.

For me the ultimate long term change is cutting processed carbs and sugars and watching portions. I do all of this very well now and I am still losing. My fear is balancing once I get to maintanence.... Stopping the losing without gaining...
  • athensguy
    Options
    It could also depend on when you weighed yourself and what you ate beforehand. I fluctuate more than 5 lbs in one day pretty often just from hydration and food in my digestive tract.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Urgh, the only thing I remember from doing low carb was not going for a pooh the entire time. It was weird that I was losing the weight, but not in the way...

Never want to be that constipated again.