Hello!

Options
My name is Angelina and I am looking for other folks to share in this weight loss journey and path to better health and fitness!

I started this journey over a year ago but sadly fell off the wagon. I was a new mom and so tired/sleep deprived that I wasn't completely committed. Now that my son is 19 months old and is sleeping through the night I kept saying to myself, I need to get this extra weight off to be healthy and to be able to keep up with my son. I didn't want to be the fat mom. I wanted to be the fun mom that leads a good example with healthy eating and fun exercise. I kept procrastinating and it came time for my yearly check up at the doc's office.

On a hunch, I had my doc pull complete blood work on me and talked to her about weightloss. She put me on the diabetic diet plan (even though I am not diabetic, she said it was a healthy plan to follow). My test results came in and my bad cholesterol was 300 (it should be below 150) and my blood sugar was low. She said this indicated I was prediabetic.

She told me I needed to get 75 pounds off, I needed to follow a healthy clean eating plan and to shop the outer isles of the grocery store (produce, meat, diary) and to stay clear of the inner isles. She recommended a diabetic diet meal plan and also instructed me to keep my calories under 1200 a day and to stop drinking pop and to drink as much water as possible.

She told me to come into her office once a month for her to monitor my progress. She told me she will review my diet with me so I need to keep a journal (my fitness pal) and continue running blood work on me monthly until we get this in check. The goal is to not end up on medication so I am optimistic and determined I can do this!

I had a 6 can a day diet pepsi habbit. I thought since it was 0 calories it wasn't a big deal. She went on to tell me that all that soda can cause osteoperosis from the carbonation. She also explained that the artificial sweetners make it to where your thirst is never satisfyed so you drink more and more pop, She said their have also been studies on folks that use artificial sweetners and how it is harder for them to loose weight. Really eye opening...

So, I decided to try ViSalus drinks twice a day and follow the diabetic diet plan until I get to my goal weight then just continue with the diabetic meal plan after that to maintain. I am on my 2nd week and have logged into my fitness pal everyday :) I am down roughly 10 pounds since I started and I am feeling great!

I know I have a ways to go on this journey. I am learning a lot about myself and nutrition. I need to learn more about exercise too but I am tackling one obstacle at a time. Right now I am thankful I have been pop free for 2 weeks!

I love seeing sucess stories on here and would love to hear from you if you need someone to be your cheerleader and offer encouragement :)

Angelina

Replies

• ajsquale
    ajsquale Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Angelina,

It sounds like you are doing awesome!! I love how you're keeping positive and not getting down on yourself for anything. It's a hard journey! I've been hearing a lot lately how bad pop (even diet) is for you. It took me a while to give up diet pepsi because I was used to drinking at least one bottle or 2 cans a day, and I didn't like having headaches for a couple of days after no caffeine, but I got through it, and I'm so glad I did. I still like having a can of pop once in a while as a "treat" but water is my new best friend!

I wish I had a success story to share, but I'm basically just starting my journey now!
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are on the right path now! 10lbs lost!! Wow! WTG! Good luck! You can add me if you like!
  • Hoshkosch86
    Options
    Hi Angelina,

I'm Heather. I've done the same about trying to lose weight. I slowly gained 13 pounds over the last year and I want to lose it. I would suggest slowly changing your diet. I've tried multiple times to lose weight and end up giving up after week 4. I either lose the motivation and don't have anyone to tell me to try harder. My first week, I cut out soda. This week, I'm continuing that and adding veggies to my lunch. I only had a soda a day, but I figured no soda was better.

Another reason I want to eat better, not only to lose those 13 pounds, is that my eczema has gotten worse. So I want to eat better, that my body may be able to fight this better and to be better hydrated through water and fruits and veggies.

I do workout, and have worked out for years, but not at a crazy, you can tell I work out type pace. I was sick last week and didn't work out. What I can tell you is to start small. If you've never worked out, walk a mile 3-5 times a day for a week. If that's too easy, step it up a bit. I hope you are able to reach your goals and I hope I can reach mine.

Heather
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    hello