low-calorie cocktails?

Options
I have several corporate happy hour events this week (my first week of calorie counting!), and I'm looking for low-calorie cocktail suggestions.

What is your go-to low-cal cocktail?

Replies

• LadyBuell
    Options
    Well I don't know about going to happy hours but I have switched from Coors Light to a Margarita recipe I got from here. It is around 75 calories depending on how many calories the tequila has (which is hard to find out for sure) but I figure I can drink 8 of those to 6 Coors Lights and in the same time it would take me to drink those 8, which is pretty much all night, I know I would have had way more than 6 beers. They are in no way exactly like a margarita but they taste pretty good. So good in fact, that my father-in-law has started drinking them too.

1 shot tequila 65 ish calories
    squirt of reallime lime juice 0 calories
    1 packet Crystal Light Lemonade 10 calories
    8 oz Sprite Zero.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Best (liquor mixed with no cal): Vodka and soda. Scotch on the rocks (extra cool points). Rum and diet.
    Good (liquor mixed with juice only, no simple syrup, grenadine, etc.): Vodka and cranberry. Vodka and grapefruit.
  • michelle0989
    michelle0989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know about going to happy hours but I have switched from Coors Light to a Margarita recipe I got from here. It is around 75 calories depending on how many calories the tequila has (which is hard to find out for sure) but I figure I can drink 8 of those to 6 Coors Lights and in the same time it would take me to drink those 8, which is pretty much all night, I know I would have had way more than 6 beers. They are in no way exactly like a margarita but they taste pretty good. So good in fact, that my father-in-law has started drinking them too.

1 shot tequila 65 ish calories
    squirt of reallime lime juice 0 calories
    1 packet Crystal Light Lemonade 10 calories
    8 oz Sprite Zero.

that recipe sounds amazing! i am definitely going to have to try :) thanks!
  • Sooze_1975
    Sooze_1975 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always go for flavored vodka, usually blueberry by Sminoff or Stoli, and water. 69 calories. Tip: Pinnacle vodka is 104 calories per oz!
  • Clowasa
    Options
    I actually just got a Hungry Girl cookbook yesterday and it's got a bunch of cocktails that are between 100-179 calories.

Low-Calorie Margarita (115)
    Strawberry Margarita (125)
    Strawberry Daiquiri (121)
    Pina Colada (156)
    Chocolate Mudslide (156)
    Mai Tai (133)
    Pineapple Frojitos (179)
    Mojito Madness (104)
    Lemon Drop (122)
    Cranberry Cosmo (100)
    Apple Cinnamon Cosmo (145)
    Night & Day Nog-Tinis (145)
    Cocomint Martinis (145)

If you, or anyone, is interested in any of these let me know and I'll post them.
  • BoppyBean
    Options
    I like the SkinnyGirl drinks.

http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com/

Some bars are carrying them.
  • LadyBuell
    Options
    that recipe sounds amazing! i am definitely going to have to try :) thanks!

I use a solo cup (just happens to be red at the moment) fill with ice, put in my tequila, squirt the lime juice, fill with Sprite Zero and add in the drink packet and stir. Oh and just a note: the type of tequila and lime juice you use does make a difference. You may have to experiment to find the ones that give you the best taste.

I used an inexpensive brand of tequila, Texas Spirit I think, and the Hill Country Fare (HEB brand) lime juice for the best results. I ran out of the HEB lime juice the other night and had gotten a bottle of RealLime brand and it made it too tart. Neither FIL or I could drink it. And I ran out of the tequila and used some Jose Cuervo we had on hand and it had a dusty taste.
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    I actually just got a Hungry Girl cookbook yesterday and it's got a bunch of cocktails that are between 100-179 calories.

Low-Calorie Margarita (115)
    Strawberry Margarita (125)
    Strawberry Daiquiri (121)
    Pina Colada (156)
    Chocolate Mudslide (156)
    Mai Tai (133)
    Pineapple Frojitos (179)
    Mojito Madness (104)
    Lemon Drop (122)
    Cranberry Cosmo (100)
    Apple Cinnamon Cosmo (145)
    Night & Day Nog-Tinis (145)
    Cocomint Martinis (145)

If you, or anyone, is interested in any of these let me know and I'll post them.

I would LOVE the Cosmo recipes!
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I'm going to go vodka + soda + lime.

PS - I LOVE this site. What a great, supportive place!! :happy:
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My guess is you will be at a bar? Not mixing your own cocktails?

If that is the case, my advice is pretty much any type of liquor mixed with a diet soda or tonic or on the rocks. Rum and diet, jack and diet, gin and diet tonic or club soda. Try and stay away from things with liqueurs in them as they tend to have more sugar and calories in them. Also stay away from drinks with juice in them or simple syrup.

also, white wine spritzers

alternate a glass of water between each drink to limit the amount of alcohol you drink. Get a club soda with a twist of lime if you are self conscious about not drinking.

" Keep in mind that an average 12-ounce domestic beer contains about 150 calories, the same as a 3.5 ounce glass of sweet wine. 1.5 ounces of 90-proof alcohol contains about 110 calories, and when you add carbonated sugar-filled sodas and juices, you also add on the calories. Alcohol adds empty calories and is converted to acetate that hampers your ability to burn fat. Think of it this way: a hefty cocktail will double-cross you by cancelling out that heart pounding, fat-burning workout you enjoyed earlier in the day.

My advice? Be aware of what you are drinking and go for the low-calorie fun. Drink plenty of water between your cocktails, and plan your weak spots in advance.

You can either drink anything and as much as you want, OR you can keep your waistline. You just can’t do both."

The last little bit of advice I borrowed from: http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/Blogs/Dr-San-Diego/January-2010/10-Low-Calorie-Co
    cktails-To-Order-When-You-039re-Out/
  • caroldot
    caroldot Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    the skinny girl cocktails are really good! :drinker:
  • Clowasa
    Options
    Kickin' Cranberry Cosmo (1 serving)

1 cup crushed ice or 5-8 ice cubes
    5 oz diet cranberry juice
    1.5 oz vodka
    1 tsp lime juice

In a shaker filled with ice, combine juice, vodka, and lime juice. Shake it up and strain into a large martini glass.

Apple Cinnamon Cosmo (1 serving)

1 cup crushed ice or 5-8 ice cubes
    2 oz diet cranberry juice
    1.5 oz vodka
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    2 oz sparkling apple cider

In a shaker filled with ice, combine juice, vodka, and cinnamon. Shake it up and strain into a large martini glass. Top with cider.

Haven't tried these yet myself but they both sound really good, especially the apple one, it seems like a good holiday season drink. Enjoy!
  • HerbT51
    Options
    My guess is you will be at a bar? Not mixing your own cocktails?

alternate a glass of water between each drink to limit the amount of alcohol you drink. Get a club soda with a twist of lime if you are self conscious about not drinking.

This is good advice. Also, we may mindlessly nibble tasty treats when drinking at a social gathering. Beware of prezels, nuts, and various other minchies. It is easy to eat fall more than you realize... until later.
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options

This is good advice. Also, we may mindlessly nibble tasty treats when drinking at a social gathering. Beware of prezels, nuts, and various other munchies. It is easy to eat fall more than you realize... until later.

Ahh yes the bar munchies. My biggest problem when out drinking is the inevitable late night jumbo slice of pizza or stop at the late night taco joint.