is 1000+ kcal burn in a gym too much?

Options
hi everyone. i re-joined my gym 10 days ago after 1 year absence. usually i do at least 800 kcal burning workout, somedays up to 1500 . i am talking about cardio, at average intensity, i am 35 y/o, so my HR is about 160 while exercising.
i dont eat much , not more than before i joined the gym. and it seems my waist line is getting larger and i am heavier!!!!
i simply cant believe the scales.
may be i drink too much squash? it helps me to drink water when it`s flavoured. i drink up to 3 l per day.
please, any comments will be appreciated

Replies

• Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am an athletic trainer and nutrition counsellor... what is your diet like?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Those are some large burn numbers. Are you sure it's that high? And did you say you've only been back working out for 10 days? How do you know your waist is getting bigger in just 10 days?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food? How much are you eating. Those burns do look high.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't think any level of burn is too much as long as you give your body adequate recovery before the next workout.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    What you are describing does not make sense. If this lasts longer than a few days or gets worse, go see your doctor, it may be a sign that something is not right.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My typical workout burns over 3000 calories. And I'm still losing at a pretty good clip. Typically 2.5 - 3 lbs a wk. so I don't believe exercise stalled your weightloss. I work out 4+ hours a day, 6 days a week. It's what works for me. I hope you find what works for you. But don't give up on fitness too soon. Even in Sept when my weightloss was at it's slowest I still lost 19 inches from all over my body. In one month! So I know all my hard work is paying off.
  • pd7707
    Options
    i usually eat about 1200 kcal a day, mainly proteins and fat. i do like atkins, but currently dont follow any strict diet.
    it`s my tummy really that is getting bigger!!!! and last night it felt as if i have a huge ball inside. it could be water retention, god knows.
    i wonder is it better to have 1 day rest between two workouts or it`s better to do it everyday. i have to lose about 5 kilos. and i believe it is realistic to do it in 5 weeks if i burn more than 1000 kcal a day excersing. it`s about 500+1 hour on the treadmill, incline 15%, at 5.5 km sped, cross trainer, interval -hill, rower, 10 level. i can easily spend 2+ hours in the gym daily.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My typical workout burns over 3000 calories. And I'm still losing at a pretty good clip. Typically 2.5 - 3 lbs a wk. so I don't believe exercise stalled your weightloss. I work out 4+ hours a day, 6 days a week.

Not to hijack the original thread, but WOW!!! How on earth can you maintain a schedule of exercising 24+ hours/week, esp. at the approximate rate of 750 cals./hour???
  • GodzillaR35
    GodzillaR35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My typical workout burns over 3000 calories. And I'm still losing at a pretty good clip. Typically 2.5 - 3 lbs a wk. so I don't believe exercise stalled your weightloss. I work out 4+ hours a day, 6 days a week.

Not to hijack the original thread, but WOW!!! How on earth can you maintain a schedule of exercising 24+ hours/week, esp. at the approximate rate of 750 cals./hour???

+1 3K a day?
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

yep, my numbers are right, I promise. First off, I don't have a job right now so I consider working out my job. I'm at the Y where I work out about 6 hours a day but only 4-5 hrs is actual time exercised. (the rest is breaks or showering/changing in the locker room, etc. I take my lunch with me too.) I take usually 2 classes a day. It's hard, I'm not gonna lie. I feel like I'm gonna die when I do my c25k on the track. There is a stair machine that I have built up to doing 15 mins on it and its so freakin hard. I used to only be able to do 5 mins on it. When I get home I can barely move somedays. I wake up in the morning so sore and stiff it isn't funny. The things I do are elliptical, cycling, jogging, water aerobics, yoga, stair climber machine, H.E.A.T. class which is circuits and running laps (its like crossfit), Ripped class which is quick paced cardio with weights and calistenics, and I'm also in a strength training program. At my weight (285 lbs) some of these activities burn over 1,000 calories in an hour (ripped, HEAT, and elliptical.) When I first started working out I couldn't do a whole hour and now I have at least one day a week that I exercise for 5 straight hours. My typical day is 4 hrs though. Sundays and Tuesdays are the hardest usually. On those days I can burn over 4000 cals. I'm involved in a challenge at the y where we are on teams and they keep track of how many mins of exercise we do. My team is winning and another team leader asked our coach if she thought I was really doing those workouts or fudging the numbers a bit. She vouched for me because she knows I am. She teaches HEAT,Ripped, and yoga so she knows how hard I work.