Does coffee count towards my water intake?

Options
Does coffee count towards my water intake? I drink about 12 oz a day.
And at least 1-2 cups of water with breakfast.

I'd lean towards yes, since the brewing is water based.

Let me know what you all think!

Replies

• Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    UMMMMM NO
  • bragaswag
    Options
    Isnt coffee a dehydrator ? I guess its considered water but when it goes inside you, it defeats the purpose of water lol. I still drink my coffee though.
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Found this on mayoclinic.com:

Question
    Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available.
  • jacqui250
    Options
    Personally I only count pure water its a good detox, coffee dehydrates you :smile:
  • deathisvictory
    deathisvictory Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I wonder if drinking my water and coffee is canceling each other out and my water intake is compromised?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I wonder if drinking my water and coffee is canceling each other out and my water intake is compromised?
    Didn't the above two posters read the post above theirs?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.