HELP!!

Options
I work full time, have 2 school aged boys, had a hip replacement over a year ago and need some motivation to get started exercising again. I've always been active, but totally lost all desire. PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• girly13662
    Options
    If you have the Wii, try to get one of the fitness 'games' they have. They are fun and motivators! If you don't have this, perhaps you can save on the side for it or ask for it as a holiday gift. :wink:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Walk; that's a good start.
    A dog is a great motivator for walks!
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Not being fat is pretty much all the motivation I need.

Oh, and I want to look good naked.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Walk; that's a good start.
    A dog is a great motivator for walks!

My puppy decided last night I needed a run... bolted out the door behind me when I went to the garage for something and had me chasing his butt around the block 3 times before giving in and just meandering up the the Teen Queen when she got home from school. I was so upset with him and he was all looking like I should thank him. LOL Love my mutts!
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    *pokes*

Get on it! Also
    Not being fat is pretty much all the motivation I need.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, walking is fantastic! You can also do plenty of things at home. There are tons of DVDs out there to choose from - most are only about $10 at WalMart or Target. Or you can do tons of stuff for free - push-ups, sit-ups, use gallon jugs filled (partially or totally) with water for weights. Google at home workouts for more ideas.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You're getting a lot of ideas for what to do. But the motivation to do it? That's gotta come from you.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mah1sj8lXD1rbsg6jo1_500.gif
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You're getting a lot of ideas for what to do. But the motivation to do it? That's gotta come from you.

dayum dayyyumm daayyuuuuuummm aint that the truth!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I hear you! I fractured my foot a couple years ago and have bad knees. The idea of exercise is PAINFUL sometimes. So...my choice is Curves. It's a gentle, strengthening workout in the company of friendly, encouraging women.

If the cost of that is prohibitive, my go to choice is Joyce Vedral videos. Love Joyce! You can get set up with a few dumbbells at your local used sports equipment store [3, 5, and 8 pounds to start] and a used bench. That's all you need. Joyce's videos can be found on eBay uber cheap.

Good luck!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've had hip replacements as well. I had my left hip replaced at age 40 and my right hip replaced the next year. When I first starting having issues I was pregnant with my son in 1984, the only options I had at that time was either to deal with the pain or have my hips FUSED which would have made me 100% debilitated for the rest of my life. At that time because of my age, I was not a hip replacement candidate because they only lasted for less than 5 years or less for inactive seniors. So I chose the pain which is the first time I really became obese.

I belong to a gym that has aqua-fitness classes, I find that those are good work outs, I just have to modify some of the movements. Same with chair yoga. I walk up to 10 miles a day, but I make sure I do at least an hour of 15 minute miles. Make sure you have GOOD shoes, I have found that Brooks shoes have very good stabilizers and arch supports, but I also have custom orthotics made from 'Run Dog' once a year or so.

The big thing with any prosthetic is to pay attention to your body. If you feel a certain muscle is getting fatigued (last weekend I couldn't bend my left leg for 3 hours because my hamstring kept cramping up) slow it down.