Winter's Coming - Indoor Cardio Help

Options
Hi there,

So my main for of exercise is being out and about on my bike, on weekdays I usually burn about 300 cal. and then about 600 on Saturday. With winter on its way I'm worried out not being able to get this exercise what with the snow and all. The last few years winter has been pretty mild so I've been able to ride my bike most of the time but let's be honest, I live in Canada so there's going to be days when it just won't be feasible for me to be on the road.
I don't have a gym membership (nor can I afford one) and I don't own any workout equipment (nor do I know anyone who does) so my question is; what can I do at home to get my cardio burn on? Jumping jacks? Running on the spot?Dancing like a fool? I'm looking for stuff that will be equivalent to what I'm burning now.

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I bought an indoor bike trainer so that I can bike indoors in the mornings or on weekends when I would usually be biking to work or recreationally. (I was biking ~25K per day in the summer time, so giving up the bike was a big withdrawal for me too - i understand your pain... I also live in Canada lol).

I also started doing Jillian Michael's 30DS which gave me a bunch of cardio ideas for at home and indoors - jumping jacks, jump rope (don't actually need the rope to do this, just follow the motion), high knees, butt kicks... etc.

And finally, I've started treadmill running, which I thought I would hate, but that I am LOVING so far. =)

The key is to keep your heart rate up for an extended period of time like you do on your bike - so just challenge yourself and see what you can do!
  • jfontanna
    jfontanna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the "What will I do this winter?"
    I really enjoy getting out for walks and runs, more so than I ever thought I would. However, with the weight loss, and the temperatures dropping, walks and runs are getting harder and harder to do.

Here's a couple of things that I've been doing to get my cardio:
    1.) Wii - there's a bunch of good work-out games, and some of them are pretty fun to play. If you don't have a Wii, most console gaming systems (XBox360, PS3) have movement tracking appliances that aren't all that expensive, relative to a 3-6 month gym membership. The Dance games are pretty fun, but helps if you have rhythm. (Or as my dad says, "... can keep a beat in a basket")
    2.) If you have a smart phone, there's a ton of free apps for cardio and strength training. I personally like: Daily Ab Workout, Daily XXX Workout (where XXX = any body part... arms, butt, etc), Workout Trainer.
    3.) House cleaning... No one likes to do it, but it sure will make you sweat... especially if you do things by hand (scrubbing floors, showers, toilets, etc) Might be able to pick up some off-hours work cleaning friends places, if you're not too squeamish.

I'm sure that there's other stuff that you can do, but I'm kind of out of ideas at the moment.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy getting out for walks and runs, more so than I ever thought I would. However, with the weight loss, and the temperatures dropping, walks and runs are getting harder and harder to do.

Why? Put the right gear on and get out there. I have a friend who lives in Alaska. His "too cold to run" temperature is -25° F.
  • jfontanna
    jfontanna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Why? Put the right gear on and get out there. I have a friend who lives in Alaska. His "too cold to run" temperature is -25° F.

Mostly a lack of motivation and money to buy good gear. ... probably more the motivation.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Mostly a lack of motivation and money to buy good gear. ... probably more the motivation.

A hat, gloves and a baselayer shirt, like UA Cold Gear, should take you down into the mid 20s if you throw a long sleeve tech top over it. I wear shorts until it's in the low 20s. It's an investment in your overall health and it's not a huge one. :)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Good for him. I live in Minnesota, and my temp is 32 degrees. I don't like the extra clothes.

To each their own.
  • Clowasa
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas everyone!

jfontanna - I have a PS3 and it never occurred to me to check out the dance/workout games so that's definitely something I'll look into, especially with forth coming holiday sales. I know what you mean about the cleaning, I work in a clothing store and the biggest chunk of my job is cleaning the store. I get such a good arm workout I don't even bother with strength training.

junipearl - Ahhhh, my northern sister, you understand my pain. I've been hearing some mixed things about those Jillian dvds but I like that you're saying it gave you ideas of other workout stuff you can do. Maybe I'll pick one up and incorporate it into my own stuff. I'd love to get a bike trainer unfortunately at the moment I don't have space to set it up, hopefully I'll be moving in the next few months to somewhere with a little more room.
  • Do you have an iphone? If so, you can download the Nike Training Club app for free and a lot of the exercises don't require extra equipment (or you can be creative- I have been using my jar full of change in place of a medicine ball!)

http://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/womens-training/apps/nike-training-club
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Wow. Kudos to him.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Good for him. I live in Minnesota, and my temp is 32 degrees. I don't like the extra clothes.

How much extra would you need at 31°F?

In your competitive days, did you run in temperatures below 32°F? I mean, seriously. In the grand scheme, that's really not that cold.
  • Clowasa
    Options
    I don't have a smart phone but i can get it on itunes and have it on my computer or ipod. Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading it now.
  • RGv2
    Options

In your competitive days, did you run in temperatures below 32°F? I mean, seriously. In the grand scheme, that's really not that cold.

Nope, never. Dude, I know it's not cold. I have a pretty good idea what cold is living where I do.

I'm just not comfortable going out for a run when it starts to get cold.

I can play hockey in the cold and do other stuff..but don't like to run in it. I thrive for cold weather when it comes to sports, but can't stand running just to run in it. I can't even stand the fans on in the gym when I run.

My perogative.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Nope, never. Dude, I know it's not cold. I have a pretty good idea what cold is living where I do.

I can play hockey in the cold and do other stuff..but don't like to run in it. I thrive for cold weather when it comes to sports, but can't stand running just to run in it. I can't even stand the fans on in the gym when I run.

My perogative.

Interesting. Almost quirky...not that there is anything wrong with it. Like you said, your prerogative. Cheers.
  • RGv2
    Options

My perogative.

Interesting. Almost quirky...not that there is anything wrong with it. Like you said, your prerogative. Cheers.

I grew up in a river valley where I didn't have to deal with the wind much. I'm on the plains now and it's windy everyday. I think that has something to do with it too. I never ran races earlier than May either.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

My perogative.

I grew up in a river valley where I didn't have to deal with the wind much. I'm on the plains now and it's windy everyday. I think that has something to do with it too. I never ran races earlier than May either.

Wind does suck, I will grant you that...Grant.