Timex HRM - calories burned generous?

Options
So I bought an SX duo HRM the other day, and the chest strap just wasn't working. I took it back, and got a Timex Road Trainer HRM - a little more pricey but the chest strap works well! Seems like a decent watch all in all. My reason for getting a chest strap one is I like the no-touch instant readout of current heart rate, and I'm interested in my heart rate when drumming - I can't exactly stop and press on watch in the middle of a song :)

Anyways, I tried it out tonight at the gym, I did 40 minutes cardio (recumbent bike, weight loss program, more than moderate), and then 30 minutes weight training on various free weights, and machines.

I've programmed the watch with my measurements, 5'9, 208 lbs (male) and after the workout, it reported 1 HR 13 mins, AVG HR 126, PEAK HR 154, min 79. Total Calories 1057.

The heart rate reading always seems to be correct, but this cal burn, seems to me, to be extremely high, almost double? MFP reports it at 580 calories, the bike reported only 280 calories (doesn't include strength training)

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I've heard people say that Timex estimates are high but usually it's women. It does sound high for the HR's you're reporting.
  • sjbcobb
    sjbcobb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That number does sound high. I have a Polar watch and chest strap. There's more information on the input side - like max hr, sitting hr, VO2 max, etc. The higher your heart rate, the more calories burned. With your average bpm hr 129, I doubt that you would have burned over 1000 calories in 70 minutes. And regarding weight training - unless you're lifting heavy you're not burning that many calories (or making yourself stronger). For maximum results you may want to step into a metabolic conditioning type of workout (sometimes known as metcon or hiit) where your hr is at many diffferent levels thoughout. Cross-fit is an example of this. More results, less time. I stopped doing long cardio sessions and saw dramatic results - and my knees don't hurt as much!
  • jimmabass
    jimmabass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, The long cardio, for me, is working well - if I'm sweating, I'm losing weight, which is my ultimate goal. Adding the weights in as strength training. I'm currently doing a 4x8 (4 sets, 8 reps) - lifting heavy enough that I've about reached the failure point. It really is a supplemental to my cardio - give me another reason to be in the gym and it's working :) Just really wanted a better measure of efficiency on the weight training as after I'm done a set, my heart is usually pounding! I don't think I'm in any shape just yet to start working on crossfit / different exercises, not yet at least :)

Also I kinda wish I had've got a watch I could download to my computer - but the reality is I probably never would. I like looking over and instantly seeing the heart rate - + I can use it for drumming, and I needed an actual "watch" anyways.