stay at home moms

Options
In the goals what did you select for your activity?

Replies

• Fittabulous
    Fittabulous Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    im not a sahm, but wish i was. when i was at home on maternity leave earlier this year, i made a point to do certain things on certain days, but about a month before i went back to work, i started working out at home doing insanity, so as soon as i got the older kids off to school, i'd get the baby fixed up and workout to get my day started, then everything else just depended on the day.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I chose lightly active as although I do sit around (on the floor playing farms/ Peppa Pig/ In The Night Garden) a lot I also do school runs, shopping, cleaning etc so am not sat around all day.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I went for lightly active too as it gives me some leeway. I log any walking that's not at toddler speed though.
  • kirstina_23
    kirstina_23 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    thanks i had the first one then i realized that im hardly sitting at all LOL
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I chose sedentary. The only times I usually get to sit down are for eating (which I'm doing right now :smile:) and an hour of TV at night, but I wasn't sure if that really counts as lightly active. When in doubt, I take the 'better safe than sorry' route.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am a SAHM & a homeschooling mama (kids 8 & 12). I sit at the computer or on the couch grading stuff and knitting while the kids are doing their school work... so my activity level isn't too high for my day to day activities. I don't spend a whole lot of time cleaning the house or on yard work, even though my husband would love it if I did... so I put my activity level usually at "sedentary."

However, now that I'm exercising 6 days a week, I am finding that my activity level is almost to the "moderate" level. Since I don't eat back calories, I base my calorie intake on the midpoint between lightly active and moderately active for now (minus -30% so I'll actually lose weight instead of maintain).

I like doing it this way, because if I have a bad day and emotionally eat I can chose to either say "screw it" and eat at "maintenance" for a day, or do extra exercise above what I would normally do for the extra treat.
  • kirstina_23
    Options
    I chose sedentary. The only times I usually get to sit down are for eating (which I'm doing right now :smile:) and an hour of TV at night, but I wasn't sure if that really counts as lightly active. When in doubt, I take the 'better safe than sorry' route.

I know what you mean. I had it to but theres alot of calories burned doing housework and taking care of children. One big problem i have is i dont eat my calories and if i have it to low and im missing i wont loose any weight. At the end of the day i always leave couple hundred for things i put in my mouth that i didnt count.
  • kirstina_23
    Options
    I always leave couple hundred calories at the end of the day for things i put in mouth i dont count and or for those bad days
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay-at-home Dad and I chose sedentary...not sure what I do all day qualifies for active.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I stay at home too. I have mine marked as lightly active. I go to a trainer 3 days a week and that's it. But I've talked to other SAHM or dads and what they don't realize is how active they really are. At least most of them. I'm sure several do just sit around all day but as for most including me, (I have a 3 yr old) I am either cleaning or we are outside playing and we spend alot of time just out running errands, grocery shopping, the park going to a friends, and on and on, so I probably am only sitting a couple hours a day.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I chose lightly active and logged the school runs. Housework can seriously burn calories especially hoovering and mopping the floor.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I had originally thought that my day was "light activity", but then I got a Fitbit. I now realize that I am actually "moderate activity" even before my exercise is added in. I have a 6, 5, and 3 year old and we homeschool. I kept my settings at "light" though and just adjust what I eat based on my Fitbit calorie adjustment.
  • likka_me
    likka_me Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I did weight watchers years ago I was told a stay at home mom is a light activity. So that is what I put here.
  • _shortstack
    _shortstack Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. I spend a lot more time in front of the computer than I'd like to admit. I go to school online, then work from home. I keep the house really clean (as clean as possible for 2 active kids!) and I only do a deep clean about once a week. I am currently doing C25k and Insanity when the kids nap.
  • phillips0911
    Options
    Mine is set as sedentary and If I am super active I eat a little more. It just depends.
  • kirstina_23
    Options
    thanks to you all stay at home moms and dads :)