Banana or protein shake?

Options
I normally work out (weight training) early in the morning, after I have been awake for around an hour or two. And that means I do not eat breakfast and hence need something to keep the hunger down and also provide some energy for the workout.

Earlier I used to eat a small or medium banana, do my weight training and after about half an hour, have the protein shake, followed by breakfast an hour or two after the shake.

However lately I have been a little bit more hungry, so for past couple of days I started consuming the protein shake (39g EAS 100% Whey and around 100ml of toned milk) before my workout and I am not really sure if it is the right approach and whether I should be eating the banana before the workout or the protein shake if my primary aim is to lose weight.

Any help/advice/insight regarding this would be really great.

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it doesn't matter when you eat. Your total calories/macros for the day/week/whatever is what matters.

If you get a better workout after eating then eat. If you get a better workout fasted then don't eat.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    do both
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    and do squats
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If your goal is weight loss, calories in vs. calories out for the day is all you need to worry about. I've always found my body responds best to any workout (cardio or weights) if I have a protein shake with some complex carbs about an hour or so before. Maybe try half the protein shake and half the banana before and the other halves after?
  • bail8gent
    Options
    sjohnny is right it doesn't matter when you eat the banana before or after works it will prevent muscle cramping either way ! :wink:
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a morning work out person too. I wake up and drink (yes drink) 8 ounces of egg whites, once I am done I then follow up with a protein shake. It works for me :) hope this helps
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Put half a banana in your protein shake, drink it before your workout. Then put the other half in another shake, and drink it after. :)
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sjohnny and bail8gent can’t workout empty stomach, especially since I am usually hungry when I wake up in the morning. Keeping a tight tab on the calories I am consuming each day and ensuring I do not go over the limit and that is when Fitnesspal does not deducts any calories for weight training and jut for cardio, which I do very less.

McBully4 doing squats :)

jasonp_ritzer and dave4d, will try that.

ENCORRALES21 used to drink eggs earlier, but not anymore. Boiled is the way to go for me now :)
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a morning work out person too. I wake up and drink (yes drink) 8 ounces of egg whites, once I am done I then follow up with a protein shake. It works for me :) hope this helps

Way to to there Rocky!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Sjohnny and bail8gent can’t workout empty stomach, especially since I am usually hungry when I wake up in the morning. Keeping a tight tab on the calories I am consuming each day and ensuring I do not go over the limit and that is when Fitnesspal does not deducts any calories for weight training and jut for cardio, which I do very less.

McBully4 doing squats :)

jasonp_ritzer and dave4d, will try that.

ENCORRALES21 used to drink eggs earlier, but not anymore. Boiled is the way to go for me now :)

You can put strength training in under cardio. It will give you an estimated calorie burn.

The BCAAs from the whey are supposed to help maintain muscle mass, and reduce soreness. (BCAAs are recommended pre-workout for this reason.) The carbs from the banana can help fuel your workout, but most bodybuilders also recommend a high glucose carb, (like a banana) for post workout to get the proteins to your muscles to help them start rebuilding. That's why I recommend doing both. I understand oats are a better pre-workout carb choice, but you need to eat them at least an hour before your workout, for digestion. (I like to workout first thing in the morning, and I don't have time to wait for the hour, so I usually do the banana in my pre-workout shake, instead of oats.)
  • dandaninc
    Options
    and do squats

^ this and before the squats be sure to do a bunch of deadlifts.
  • titanium2012
    Options
    I normally work out (weight training) early in the morning, after I have been awake for around an hour or two. And that means I do not eat breakfast and hence need something to keep the hunger down and also provide some energy for the workout.

Earlier I used to eat a small or medium banana, do my weight training and after about half an hour, have the protein shake, followed by breakfast an hour or two after the shake.

I don't really have any advice. I just wanted to say that this is my exact current routine! I'm so glad someone else does it too!

Sorry for my randomness!
  • FitnessLover27
    Options
    I like to drink my protein shakes after I workout, essentially restocking nutrients back into my body. I would agree with other posters, tailor your needs based on your activity. The banana wouldn't hurt as a basis for energy so I think you should continue munching on that.