Not losing weight... Im confused!

Options
Hi all,

Im Sarah. Ive been eating well for about one week now, and doing Insanity for 3 days. I have actually seemed to gain 2 lbs. I am eating below my suggested calorie goal? So what gives?

Any advice?

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Give it a month. Seriously, it takes time. If you just started working out your body is likely holding a little more water in the muscles. Consistency and patience will pay off
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Two things that I can think of are that you are actually not eating enough calories to offset your exercise. Another is that muscle weighs more than muscle and muscle absorbs water to heal after a workout.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It's ONE week, and you did exercise THREE times.....Did you pick up the extra weight in one week?
    Yoour muscles are not used to the exercise and is holding back water for repair...Drink water and have patience....
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    your body could be getting used to the program..however you need to be careful to watch how many calories you are taking in/and how many you are burning..if you are burning more than you are consumming your body can go into starvation mode and u can actually gain weight..also make sure you are drinking enough water
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    One week is hardly enough time to gage your progress. Give it sometime and stop weighing yourself everyday...you just started! Stay within a sensible calorie goal and exercise and you will get results!
  • malditamelodia
    Options
    Sarah, I feel you!

I actually gained a pound! WHAT!!! Last week, I lost 4 lbs...now I gained. I hate it... but that's what happens sometimes. Just gotta keep positive and DO NOT stop. Everyone's bodies are different.
  • swagar12
    Options
    I am no where NEAR giving up! I just wanted to make sure that this was normal and I wasnt doing something wrong. I didnt expect to drop 5 lbs the first week or anything!

Thanks to all of you who answered! It means a lot that I can count on input from you guys!! Thanks again!
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Give it a month. Seriously, it takes time. If you just started working out your body is likely holding a little more water in the muscles. Consistency and patience will pay off

^^This!! That is too soon to tell and to make the statement that you are not losing weight.
  • swagar12
    Options
    It's ONE week, and you did exercise THREE times.....Did you pick up the extra weight in one week?
    Yoour muscles are not used to the exercise and is holding back water for repair...Drink water and have patience....

My weight fluxuates a good bit, its quite odd actually. And I wasnt expecting to lose it all in one week, or anything like that, I just thought I might see results. Knowing not to expect that is good for me. Thank you.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know if your calorie goals are accurate because your diary is closed.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

My weight fluxuates a good bit, its quite odd actually. And I wasnt expecting to lose it all in one week, or anything like that, I just thought I might see results. Knowing not to expect that is good for me. Thank you.

I know it's frustrating but the results are that you stuck with a healthy regime for a week and that's progress in the right direction. Certainly way better than complete gluttony for one week! This is a lifestyle, settle in and be patient. and OMG once again please stay off the scale!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate for lots of reasons. One time lots of people retain water is when they start a new exercise programme, or suddenly increase the intensity of exercise they are already doing. Your muscles hold on to water as they repair themselves. You might also see temporary gains if you consume more sodium than normal, more carbs than normal, or because of hormonal fluctuations.

PS. One tip - try to reach your calorie goal, not always aim to be under it.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Have tough skin on this website...I know you said you just joined...so I want you to be prepared...if you post on here you will get good advice, bad advice and troll responses. Keep the good advice, discard the bad advice and ignore the trolls is my advice...now you need to decide which of the 3 I am. :)
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    besides the obvious 1 week thing and the fact that you have shocked your body into retaining water, insanity isn't usually known for it's weight loss results it's focused on tone and what you will see more often than not is a reduction in inches even if the scale doesn't move.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It took about 3 weeks for me to see any change at all, but I stuck to it and have lost 9 pounds in the last 3 months and had several NSV's (non scale victories) such as compliments, looser clothing, subtle changes in my appearance, breathing easier and just feeling better.

It's a lifestyle change. Eat healthy foods in modest proportions and exercise regularly no matter what. It will happen over time. Try not to over think it, you'll just make yourself crazy.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Have tough skin on this website...I know you said you just joined...so I want you to be prepared...if you post on here you will get good advice, bad advice and troll responses. Keep the good advice, discard the bad advice and ignore the trolls is my advice...now you need to decide which of the 3 I am. :)

^^& this is one of the reasons why we are friends on here! Bahaha!
  • akrepel85
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I used to be a jock then when I stopped working out my body put on weight. I'm working out again and like you my body is getting used to it again. I'm doing P90X not Insanity, but what I've found is that even though my weight wasn't moving in the first month my body was changing dramatically. As my muscles began to grow stronger I lost inches but not weight. My advice is to not just use the scale. Buy a tape measure if you don't already have one and take your measurements weekly.

Also like many people have said one week is early to to start seeing results. You may feel them sooner but normally it takes 4 weeks for you to see results, 8 weeks for friends and family to notice, and 16 weeks for the rest of the world to see them.

Remember that many things can add a few pounds to the scale at any time. A few tips that I've learned are to always try and weigh yourself around the same time wearing the same thing. Be aware of what the suggested serving size is because that changes you're calories more than you realize. Too much salt intake can make you hold water, as much as not drinking enough water can. Last but not least cardio is great for burning fat but you'll burn more fat the stronger your muscles are so doing larger muscle groups like legs once or twice a week is a great way to help boost calorie burns.

Hope some of this helped. :)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

^^& this is one of the reasons why we are friends on here! Bahaha!

Right back at ya! :) I hope the OP has good luck with it...this place can do wonders if used correctly.
  • swagar12
    Options
    It's hard to know if your calorie goals are accurate because your diary is closed.

Ill friend you!
  • swagar12
    Options

I have plenty tough skin. To be honest, I have zero interest in finding out which of the three you are. I do have interest in the insight you gave regarding water weight gain however. Thanks for that!