"Spanish" chicken stew

Options
I made this tonight and it was a huge hit with everyone!!

spanish-chicken-stew-HERO-c2724015-052a-410e-8efa-1579bc9e583a-0-472x310.jpg

http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spanish-chicken-stew.html

Info for the link shy:

ingredients:
1tbsp olive oil
8 chicken thighs
125g (4oz) chorizo
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
100ml (3½fl oz) dry white wine (optional)
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin cannellini beans, washed and drained
1 sprig thyme

Heat the oil in a large pot with lid. Cook the chicken thighs for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the pot. Thickly slice the chorizo, then cook it for a couple of minutes until starting to brown, then tip in the onion and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes.

Add the wine (if using) and simmer until nearly boiled away. Tip in the tomatoes and beans, 200ml (7fl oz) water and season. Return the meat to the pot and add the thyme.

Simmer for 30-35 minutes with lid on (top the stew up with water if it looks like it’s becoming dry) until cooked.

What I did differently for mine:
- omitted the garlic, added a large red chilli pepper instead
- omitted the wine
- used less chorizo (rounded down to 100g)
- after the 30 mins removed the lid and boiled to reduce the sauce, its a very thin sauce and we're a thick chunky sauce family

Mine served a family of 4 quite nicely, I wouldn't recommend it for 6 as the recipe suggests. This allowed for 2 thighs each and a nice helping of the bean and chorizo sauce.

I served mine with rice, in future I will be serving with grilled vegetables I just didn't have the energy to do much in the kitchen today and just wanted to do something I could chuck on the stove and let do its thing :)

Now, the important bit. Serving the recipe as a "for 4" recipe:
Calories: 450
Carbs: 13
Fat: 21
Sugar: 4
Fiber: 6
Protein: 49

which is a lot different from the breakdown on the Tesco website, but even adjusting the values to serve 6 is shows higher calorie than tesco lists so it may be the ingredients I chose on the database.

Replies

• MissPreciosa
    MissPreciosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...I love chorizo. Thanks for sharing :-)
  • fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    oh poop posted this on the wrong forum, can a mod move please?
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Got this in the pot now, can't wait looks great.

Kept the sauce the same but only did one thigh each as they are huge. Any left over sauce I will add a little chilli powder and have with some quinoa for lunch tomorrow

PS This was fantastic, definitely on my to make again list

Thank you
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump!