Electrolytes: Potassium, Sodium & Need Advise

Options
I am low on electrolytes according to RDA and that does not account for what I am losing through exercise. I can’t seem to get enough Sodium & potassium. I do okay on calcium. Eating banana’s, avocados, spinach, etc. supplementing water with electrolyte mix and still not even at “RDA”. I know most folks are probably not tracking this, but I get ocular migraines when they are low. I wonder if the foods added by MFP members actually “account” for potassium. I notice when I add certain things, it does not give me a space for potassium even when food may have it, so maybe I am getting it. I am hesitant to take a supplement as too much is also dangerous. I really really want to get it naturally, but DANG, I can’t seem to even when focusing on high potassium foods.

Anyone else tracking this or have advise?

Sodium: RDA 2500 & Me 800-2000
Potassium: RDA 3500 & Me 1500 or less

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the foods added by MFP members actually “account” for potassium.

They're probably not. Go plug a typical day's diet into nutritiondata.com, that should tell you where you are.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    sodium you don't really need 2500 unless a dr told you specifically.
    I have a potassium deficiency and I eat lots of cantelope because it has a lot.
    You can change your diary settings to show you potassium, I can see mine so I nkow where my levels are for the day.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    its so funny you posted this. I just finished looking at the exact same thing. I am not getting nearly enough potassium. I found this list on WebMd.com for potoassium rich foods. Some of these I can manage, but some yuck. Wineter squash and cantaloupe. Yikes!

Winter squash, cubed, 1 cup, cooked: 896 mg
    Sweet potato, medium, baked with skin: 694 mg
    Potato, medium, baked with skin: 610 mg
    White beans, canned, drained, half cup: 595 mg
    Yogurt, fat-free, 1 cup: 579 mg
    Halibut, 3 ounces, cooked: 490 mg
    100% orange juice, 8 ounces: 496 mg
    Broccoli, 1 cup, cooked: 457 mg
    Cantaloupe, cubed, 1 cup: 431 mg
    Banana, 1 medium: 422 mg
    Pork tenderloin, 3 ounces, cooked: 382 mg
    Lentils, half cup, cooked: 366 mg
    Milk, 1% low fat, 8 ounces: 366 mg
    Salmon, farmed Atlantic, 3 ounces, cooked: 326 mg
    Pistachios, shelled, 1 ounce, dry roasted: 295 mg
    Raisins, quarter cup: 250 mg
    Chicken breast, 3 ounces, cooked: 218 mg
    Tuna, light, canned, drained, 3 ounces: 201 mg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My daily, primary sources, of potassium are spinach, white potato (call the food Nazi's!!), & chicken breast.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you could take a potassium supplement but chances are you electrolytes are normal unless you really do eat very little. I used to track potassium and it was always really low, but when I went to the doctor recently and had my electrolytes checked they were all completely normal. Your body is very good at keeping homeostasis. Most likely you are fine unless you are noticing physical symptoms of low potassium/sodium.. Also, sodium the maximum amount is 2500 but I think you only need around 500 to get all you need for the day.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most people aren't tracking potassium and don't enter it because it's not required on labelling.
    I look it up on here:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    and add or edit entries on myfitnesspal.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    No, most of the foods on here don't have potassium listed. Don't try to use MFP to track it! It's not something most people track so it's not something they care about getting right in the food db.
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great tips, especially cantaloupe. I did not know that one!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    In the UK at least, don't know about other countries, potassium is rarely mentioned in the nutritional information on food packets, so chances are, there are many, many entries in the database that are not accurate for potassium content. As far as sodium content goes, I've noticed that many entries have that info missing, or entered incorrectly (eg. people mistake 0.5 g for 0.5 mg). So, you're probably getting more of both than it seems in your diary.

With sodium, I'm not sure of the recommended minimum intake, but I think 2,500 is more the recommended maximum. I try to keep mine under 1,500. If you really are short on it, it shouldn't be too hard to get more. Even if you eat no processed foods at all, you can easily just add a sprinkling of table salt to your food.

I'm always trying to get more potassium, and find eating potatoes always bumps the level up a lot. Otherwise, have a look at http://nutritiondata.self.com/ or something, and find some more potassium-rich things you like. Lately, I've been making a lot of homemade vegetable soups which help. But again, you're probably getting more than you realise because it's not listed on a lot of the products in the database.
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. These tips are helpful and yes, MFP is NOT good tracking for this. I get occular migraines with exercise adn is why I track it and do better when I get more electrolytes. Thanks for tip below!

Most people aren't tracking potassium and don't enter it because it's not required on labelling.
    I look it up on here:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    and add or edit entries on myfitnesspal.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    In the Summer I add morton's salt substitute to my drinking water. It's potassium Chloride. 1/4tsp is about 500 mg IIRC.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    i heard brawndo has electrolytes... its what plants crave!
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    i heard brawndo has electrolytes... its what plants crave!

MFP needs a like button.