Favorite Excuse to Skip the Gym (and rebuttal)

Options
13»

Replies

• tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It always boils down to "I don't wanna" - and my immediate response is "ok, then! You can do the laundry or clean the kids' room or wash the dishes or scrub the kitchen or pay some bills or go through that pile of clothes for Goodwill or..."

Funnily enough, I'm never really interested in skipping the gym.
    Problem is those other things are still there when I'm done working out. Good news is I have motivation and energy to do them.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm tired-
    then do 10 min if you want to stop you can. I usually end up finishing the whole run
    Not enough time-
    do 10 min at least again I usually end up doing more
    No clean workout gear-
    who cares you're going to stink them up anyway
    I would rather do something else-
    You can do both and if you do your workout first then you'll enjoy watching tv, reading, taking a bath, etc. without guilt
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If I don't feel like getting up to run (which I do in the morning before work) I tell myself that if I don't run today I will HAVE to run tomorrow (not "allowed" to skip more than one day in a row) even if I feel even less like doing it. So each day I go out it preserves my option to wimp out the following day. I also remind myself that by running first thing in the day I can feel virtuous for the whole rest of the day!

And YES to the clothes thing - if I can get my teeth brushed, and my shoes and running gear on, suddenly the energy level goes up. Especially if I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and I *look* like a runner! LOL A little wrinkled and grayhaired, but nonetheless a runner!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    "I've already showered once today." TRUE STORY. This will get me more than any other excuse.

To get over it, I just tell myself that I'm going to earn another shower. Or I just stay gross. Whatever works. :)
  • Adilts814
    Options
    My favorite excuse to skip is that I feel like that nothing is happening so why keep doing it! The hurdle from starting to workout to making it a routine thing takes weeks because I think like this.
    But then the next day comes and I wonder why I feel sluggish and just plan awful. I put my sneakers back on and drag my butt back outside and just do it, its not like a jog is going to kill me.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Usually I can get myself to go but with the cold lately, it's been more of a challenge.

I woke up the other day and fought with myself about running outside. It was cold, the run would take too long, I didn't want to.... but finally got out of bed with resolution that I would do half the run and then squats/lunges/pushups for the 20 mins I missed running.

Something was better than nothing!
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    I never force myself to go to the gym, because I know if I don't feel like working out, then my workout is gonna suck.
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    "I'm due for a recovery day"
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I've got stuff to do, to busy

I'm to stressed I can't handle it today

I'll get extra in tomorrow

I think one day is not a big deal

I'm taking care of hubby today, that is more important

Its not good weather for it today

lamest? I don't have anything to wear.

I am good at excuses I guess. Only rebuttal is mental images of what I could look like vs what I do.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    There's only one excuse I use to skip the gym and that's when my husband tells me he wants some lovin'. He wins every time hands down. I don't have a rebuttal for that one.
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    These are awesome!

Me: I just want to sit a relax for a change

Uhhhhh................that's what helped get you fat to begin with!

*I do love the photo album idea!! Thanks!