Indoor grills - any suggestions???

Options
Looking for opinions or suggestions.

My apartment complex doesn't allow grills and it's killing me not to be able to grill. Does anyone have or can suggest an indoor grill that they may have or used? I've had one of those Foreman grills and honestly I hate how uneven it cooks meats and scorches them basically. I would prefer an open top indoor grill to put on my counter.

Thanks for any suggestions, and as always keep up the great work, you all are doing awesome!!!

Replies

• lucysmommy
    Options
    i use my foreman and i dont close it over - and turn my meat etc when its cooked on that side just like a normal grill
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    you can get one that basically goes over the eyes on your stove....and that is what I would go with bc storing a grill such as this will take up less space.

i would recommend a cast iron or ceramic stove top grill or 1 that you plug in. If money isn't a concern, then allow me to live vicariously and buy a Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Grill Pan. I *promise* you will be thrilled with Le Creuset's quality.
    Traditional nonstick grills will in 2-3 years no longer be sold bc they aren't healthy. If you simply must get nonstick, purchase PFOA-free nonstick cookware.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    cgr-4c_lg.jpg

I have one of these, but the Superstore brand, I think it was about 50$ when I bought it and it is the only way I will grill my chicken breast, plus we use it for pancakes, sandwiches and a million other things.
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After going through my second Breville (1st quit heating after 2 years; second, plate retaining latch broke and couldn't hold the top plate any longer) I found the Wolfgang Puck WPRGG0010 reversible grill. I'm very pleased with it so far, had it about three weeks and have used it about a dozen times aleady. Google search for images. It's a flat, open top grill.

Pros: 1800 watts, has a grill side and smooth side, large surface area for cooking, adjustable thermostat to 400º, grill plate is dishwasher safe and metal utensil safe. Series of small holes at on end allows grease to drain into large drip pan that fits under the grill plate. Nice long cord, plug-in thermostat typical of the kind found on electric skillets. Heats very quickly. Interlock system requires the thermostat in place to operate the grill. Thermostat must be disconnected to reverse the grill plate.

Cons: It's huge, takes up a lot of counter space, the grill plate is thick and heavy and can be difficult to fit in small dishwashers. That's mitigated by the fact that at least so far (for me) it has wiped clean very easily. The drip pan is large but shallow and is accessible only by removing the grill plate first. Allowing both to cool is highly recommended. There's no handles on the drip pan to lift it out so either let it cool or handle with vice grips or something similar. The grill plate has handles on each end but they do get very warm, heat proof gloves are a must if you have to handle the hot plate.

Overall, I like it. I still have the Breville and if I'm in a hurry, I can heat one of those plates on the Puck while I prepare a cheese sandwich, cover with the heated plate and grill both sides at once. Same for chicken, fish, etc. Cheaper than the Breville too. About $100 on Amazon.