Simple Tomato Soup - 155 cals per serving!

Options
gjriddle
gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
This is my favorite tomato soup recipe to date. It is so delicious. Not too thick, not too thin and nothing too fancy! This is the recipe I wrote down as I made it, but it is a huge batch.. made 10 bowls, so you could half it if you don't want that much.

Ingredients
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
(4) 28-oz cans of peeled plum tomatoes in tomato puree
1 cup light cream (I used the real stuff... just the "light" instead of "heavy" or "whipping")
Oregano to taste (I used 3 sprigs fresh from my garden, probably 1/2 tsp or so of dried)

Directions
In a large stock pot heat EVOO over medium heat. Add onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (and oregano if you're using dried) and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes (and the puree they're packed in) and cream, stir to combine and cook over medium heat until hot throughout, about 10 minutes.

If you're using fresh oregano, add it now. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until you can no longer see any chunks, it will take 3-4 minutes. If soup is too thick, add water until desired consistency is reached.

NUTRITION STATS:
155 Calories
6g Fat
17g carbs
4g protein

Serve with a grilled cheese sandwich for dunking! I recommend using one slice muenster and half ounce of goat cheese for the perfectly melty and creamy grilled cheese. (NOT included in the 155 cal count!)

Replies