Do you log every single item...

Options
For instance, I stopped logging in my black coffee I drink every morning. I was surprised there were calories in black coffee.

Are there items you don't count?

Oh yea, I don't log any lettuce.

Just your thoughts?
:flowerforyou:

Thanks!

Replies

• tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nope, I log everything. Simply because several "little" things can add up to not meeting goals :) My two cents.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't log in black coffee. Everything else I do. I actually didn't even think of coffee until I saw someone else comment.
  • kksam
    kksam Posts: 38
    Options
    I try to log everything in. I want to be as accurate as I can. That way I don't feel like I'm cheating myself :flowerforyou:
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't log in black coffee. Everything else I do. I actually didn't even think of coffee until I saw someone else comment. I only drink 1 or 1 1/2 cups a day so not a lot.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i'm with you. i don't log black coffee. (don't drink as much as i used to either)
    i do log lettuce.
    however, i do not log my vitamins & i know the multivitamin, calcium, etc do have some calories in them.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I don't log my coffee either - but I do log the sugar that I put in it. I try to log everything.... but there are some things that I don't usually count.... like when I use a teaspoon of olive oil to saute veggies and I'm making enough veggies for 4 of 5 people... I guess I just don't really believe that I'm getting "THAT" much... and I'm sure I over estimate on something else throughout the day. I always have a hard time determining whether an apple is a medium apple or a large apple...so I count it as a large.
  • signchik
    signchik Posts: 17
    Options
    I log everything except my Diet Dr. Pepper. Even things like pickles that are basically Free food I log. If I go over on my calories, I want to know exactly where it was.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I still have the weight watchers mentality when it comes to veggies... lettuce was considered a zero point food, I would have never logged in lemon juice I add to my salad either but I guess like others said it does add up... I am on the fence about this as you are...
  • gennyvieve
    Options
    i log everything except my vitamins---i always forget that they have calories.....i should just make them a meal i can add in, but i haven't gotten around to it....
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    If you don't log it, you're only cheating yourself...if you can live with the lie...well, that for you to be at peace with.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    now that I am thinking about it, I highly doubt black coffee has been the cause of weight gain or lettuce for that matter...
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat or drink.
    I learned many years ago while in weight watchers that all those little"bites, licks and tastes" add up.
    I'm still new to this so for me I have to do it by the book, or I will slide right down hill very quickly.
    Good luck, I hope you find what works for you.
  • monicawildonger
    monicawildonger Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything too, I don't want to cheat myself, but I don't log the olive oil I use to saute veggies either and sometimes I forget about the sauces I occasional use.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    if it goes to my mouth it gets logged each and everything ..I do log my coffee cause it does have calories in it even if it is so little...I log anything that I drink..and eat
    I even log when I use black pepper or a dash of salt...
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I log everything except my Diet Dr. Pepper. Even things like pickles that are basically Free food I log. If I go over on my calories, I want to know exactly where it was.

I don't log a lot of things. In fact, I don't log my Diet Mt. Dew. BUT... that being said, I probably should, because my biggest challenge in my daily food totals has become sodium. While diet sodas do not have calories or fat to worry about, they do have sodium. Also, pickles have a lot of sodium. Once upon a time, on Weight Watchers and later, on Atkins, I used pickles as filler food, cuz they were "freebies." But, I just looked tonight, and there are over 200mg of sodium in a single dill pickle. My once favorite "free food" is now getting logged so that I can try to honestly control my sodium.
  • luciebelle
    luciebelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I log in everything. I've been slowly gaining weight the past few years and, although I've been an exerciser and (mostly) healthy eater the whole time, I gained by not being precise about calories. Now, on this website, I'm finally seeing results!

I'd say the most important reason to log everything in is to be able to identify patterns. Coffee has an effect on metabolism and I've read that while in limited amounts is good, can have negative metabolic results if you drink too much.

But, hey, do what you want. I like the fact that everyone can decide for themselves and call the shots in their own life :)
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    IF YOU BITE IT WRITE IT... wise words to live by. I will start to do this myself even things I didn't think of like a squeeze of lemon in my salad... GREAT POST- eye opening!
  • Tamie_Girl
    Tamie_Girl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Starryeyedgirl,

That is soooooooooo true - nobody ever gained weight on black coffee and lettuce.

I am a past Weight Watcher-er ... so yes, the mentality is to not log some zero point foods, ex. lettuce. :wink:

Besides, within a week I usually have about 200 calories to spare - I'm sure that makes up for the black coffee and lettuce.

I love all the responses so far.

Thanks everyone!

~Tammy
    :flowerforyou:
  • skinnyjess00
    skinnyjess00 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Be careful! Pickles are VERY high in sodium!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I log everything except my coffee. Every pickle, squirt of mustard, jalapeno pepper, leaf of lettuce and raisin I put in my mouth. And if I put it in my mouth, it's been weighed and measured.