Heel Spur- Plantar Fasciitis

Options
Yesterday, I was seen and told I had a heel spur/plantar fasciitis. Today, I can put some weight on my foot. But yesterday I could not. They are suggesting injections of steroids to help. Has anyone had issues with this and any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want this to hold me up for too long, as I have been told to hold off on any exercise for the next week.

Replies

• Mariannewww
    Options
    Iv have plantar fasciitis and have had it on and off for about a year now - I was running 5k 3-4 times a week currently I don't do any exercise as my foot was agony and have to walk to and from work which is bad enough. Iv had steroid injections following a lot of rest and have foot pads etc. in goin to try and get back into the exercise soon (keep putting it off as frightened it will still be bad). Don't be disheartened though - mine is a pretty bad case according to dr I'm sure you will be fine with some rest and ibuprofen
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I got plantar fasciitis a little over a year ago. At first, I did the exercises, ice, ibuprofen,wearing sturdy shoes, etc. I got to the point where I could walk, but was still in pain and it never fully healed.
    I sprained my foot about 6 months later, and that doctor recommended I go see a podiatrist. I went, and she recommended that I get fitted for custon orthotics. That was the best decision ever. After one week of wearing the orthotics, my pain from arthritis in my foot, as well as my plantar fasciitis went away. I can even walk barefoot again. And I can wear dress shoes. The pain is GONE!
    Now, for the record, if I go barefoot all day, or wear dress shoes for a few days straight, my foot starts to hurt again. BUT if I go back to wearing my orthotics for a few days straight with no barefeet, then I am fine again.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My mom has a god awful heel spur and plantar fascitis in the same foot. The x-ray is gross. She has these weird little half ball things she puts on the floor and has to stretch her feet out on.
    But long term, it won't go away on it's own. Try to get an insert for your shoes. Talk to your dr about other options.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    thanks for answering, bumping for anyone else with info.
  • Holliday2
    Options
    I have had plantar fascitis for a year now. It has improved immensely since I started wearing Berkinstocks. I also have orthotics. What has helped is the plantar fascitis brace I purchased and wear most nights. It keeps my foot stretched so when I get up in the morning there's no pain. I also have finn comfort shoes from Germany I purchased. Of course nothing is cheap. If they gave you exercises to do that will help. When I first started I used to take a glass jar fill it half full and freeze it. I would wrap it in a towel and roll my foot across it. I would do that for 15 min. I know the pain you must be going through and it will get better in time. It seemed to take forever for my foot to heal. My foot is almost healed but I find I prefer to keep my shoes and not go in my sock feet as I can feel it. I hope this helps you.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I had awful plantar fascists off and on for a year. When I started training for a half-marathon it became unbearable. No amount of rest and ice bags seemed to be helping much. A podiatrist practically demanded that I do an injection but I avoid meds when I can and said no. He literally steamed out of the office.

I found another podiatrist who offered a laser surgery in his practice, but he took a look at my situation and agreed that I had a bad case but was sure I could be helped with orthotics. Sure enough he made them for me and I have never had a problem since. I did two half-marathons with no foot pain from the training or the events.

I wish you the best. The one therapy I learned that helped when it was bad and I hadn't found the right doc was cool water baths. Cold water in a basin and soak the foot, add a few ice cubes as soon as the water feels warm. You don't want it to be icy cold, just cool.
  • mexicomichelle
    mexicomichelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was misdiagnosed with plantar fac. for about a year. At times, I couldn't even put pressure on my foot. I was fitted for an orthotic by a occupational therapist specializing in plantar fac. which made the heel pain worse. After months of taking medications prescribed by my family doctor, my blood pressure got dangerously high, so I went to a foot doctor (podiatrist). He recommended another type of orthotic and my pain was gone in two days without any medication. The podiatrist diagnosed my problem (in my big toe joint) quickly and the problem resolved quickly. Good luck!