Training for a 5k and getting slower with each run???

Options
I am doing the c25k training program and in the middle of week 7 which is 3 days of running 2.5 miles without stopping. Up until now I have felt like I was doing well and progressing - my first run of 2 miles without stopping I completed in 19:41 so was even starting to feel confident! Well, since then I've gotten slower with every run. I realize that the longer the distance I will likely get slower as the distance goes on, but now I am running at almost a minute slower per mile right from the beginning. Its as if I don't have energy or can't make my legs move fast enough. Does anyone have any advice for what causes this type of thing and how to move past it? I've tried changing my eating habits before I run and just can't seem to get back into the groove I felt a few weeks ago. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• andriaharriman
    andriaharriman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bueller...? Bueller...? Anyone?
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm no-where near an expert on this, but maybe take a few days or even a week off? Give your body some time to heal, then get back into it?
  • tubaman58
    Options
    Be sure you are eating enough carbs...... the high protein thing does not dovetail well with heavy exercise...
    Do let your body rest....
    Hang in there and keep goin:)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I find if take a couple days off to do some other non-running exercise, I feel more energized when I come back to C25K. I also find that if I don't get enough sleep it makes a massive difference.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I glanced at your diary and looks like you are eating enough. I didn't get into too much detail in terms of your food choices...

Are you running on an empty stomach? Are you sleeping enough? Did anything at all changed that might be slowing you down?
    Try having a bowl of oatmeal for a quick fuel or a small protein energy bar 15 minutes before your run and see how that goes.

Every day is different for me. Sometimes I feel like I can run for hours but sometimes a 3 mile run is a torture, and that's usually when I am tired or not eating enough.

Good luck!
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing. I think it's because the plan has you walk/running for about 25 mins total each workout. So in the early stages you are only running shorter distances/times and therefore have more in the tank to run faster... so each run segment is a faster pace and you get to recover. As you get to the point of running the whole 25 minutes your pace will slow down. I'm doing a 5K this weekend but I'm only into week 7. My goal is to just finish however slow I am. Once I can run the full 5K I'll start working on getting faster.

I did the program based on minutes run not distance.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a break between running days?! I know I certainly do my best runs when I have not run for a few days.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What are your splits? Are you running faster in the beginning and slower in the end? Is this the first time you have run? There are a lot of variables, I find most of them are mental. Make sure you there is nothing wrong and then find a way past whatever is going on when you are running. Take it easy on yourself either way this is supposed to be fun! Enjoy yourself and good luck!
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Likely what is happening is that you have reached a point where you need to push yourself -- this is a good sign -- you likely have gotten very comfortable with a pace and are slightly under performing it. Try doing some interval training and/or using a well calibrated treadmill so you can set a faster pace that feels like you are really pushing yourself (but not overdoing it).
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    No an expert, I just finished week 6 today. But I did my first 5k on Sunday and made it to the finish line (goal #1 for me, I knew I had to walk part of the 5k but that was fine with me - I was slow but still managed to come in under the time I had set as a personal goal). From everything I have heard/read/experienced speed and longer stride will come eventually. Just keep doing what you are doing, don't worry about time yet. You may be a bit slower because you run slow in order to keep going for a longer stretch of time - and that is a good thing!!!! If it really bothers you, repeat that week and see if that helps. Also, don't force yourself to go faster if it causes pain. You want to get your body used to running and not injure yourself. And do the 5k.....even if you have to walk a couple of minutes here and there. I really enjoyed being able to finish (and not come in last) and I am signed up for another 5 k on Thankksgiving day. Not sure if I can run the whole 5 k by then but I will certainly finish and walk a little less than last time, aim to shave a couple of minutes off my time as well. Good luck, keep running!!
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others, maybe you just need to take a day or two off. How often are you running? I find I do much better if I only run every other day, if I try to push it too often my body just doesn't work quite the same. I do my my weight training one day, my runs the next and keep alternating, and then try to have at least one full day off of both. Hope this helps.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    It all boils down to a few 4 Letter words... and none of them bad.

REST - body gets tired and it won't perform. Are you giving yourself adequate time to rest between workouts?

FORM - Sloppy form will result in a sloppy time. Concentrate on your form and breathing. When I run a Half or Full Marathon, sometimes towards the end, concentrating on my form is all I've got left. Think of eyes forward to the horizon, shorter steps, a straight torso (no slouching) and a slight forward lean. If you think about your breathing, what will give your airways the best airflow?

SHOE - I sometimes find that when my equipment is worn out, my performance suffers. As a distance runner, I tick my wife off to no end. I will not run in shoes with more than 500 Miles on them (which is every 2-3 months... yes Nike loves me) Think about it... your shoe gets slammed into the pavement thousands of times per mile... how much support do you expect them the provide after you've beaten the snot out of them? :) If your shoe isn't performing, how do you expect to?

DIET - Make sure you get a proper blend of carbs and protein especially post workout. These help replace your electrolytes and repair damaged tissues. I find a quick Boost Meal Replacement is almost an ideal blend of carbs and proteins (apparently several members of the Canadian Olympic Team swear by this as well... or so one of their trainers told me).

Hope it helps!
  • Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    maybe you got it in reverse...are you running backwards?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Are you running on dreadmills at the gym? If so, they are often not calibrated properly which could lead to different readouts for similar efforts on different machines.

I
  • michmill98
    Options
    I had a similar issue. Turned out once I got new shoes, my time went back to where it was. My old shoes were shot and I was compensating by taking smaller steps and slowing down because my knees were hurting.

Also I knew I repeated Week 7 and a couple of days on week 8 just so I was comfortable with the amount of time running/jogging - that seemed to help too.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the benefits of taking a day or so off on a regular basis. Switch up your routes too, keeps it interesting.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    With all exercises, there comes a point of diminishing returns. You could be running ( no pun intended, lol ) into over training. Change your training up for a few days, ie , shorter and harder runs for example and/ or take a day or two off , like most are saying. Rest and then see if your run times improve.
  • andriaharriman
    andriaharriman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I have been resting enough between runs but have been dealing with bouts of insomnia that may be affecting me more than I realized. Will definitely start using your advice!