weight loss surgery options

Options
I have been recommended to have weight loss surgery as due to my mobility issues it would seem I am on a spinning wheel, need to move more but the weight is making it difficult to move due to knee and back injuries I have sustained. I guess I need to make some decisions on which surgery to have, I like the thought of the vertical sleeve but my doctor is suggesting gastric bypass...any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Replies

• sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi, i recently had the lap band surgery. Some people say they find them too much to do (adjustments, etc.) I don't see anything severe about having it. I researched all methods very carefully and for the past ten years I have been considering it. I found that I wanted to do the lap band and I know I can be successful if I take my doctor's advice and do just as I am suppose to do. I can tell you that I had moving issues also. Bought an ergonomic Tempurpedic bed because of back and visited a foot doctor many years only to realize that I needed to simply lose the pounds. I have been banded for two weeks now and I feel great! I need friends on my fitness pal to share with. Oh yes, in two weeks I have lost 14 lbs.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't have any info on WLS options, but best of luck to you as you research your options. Just wondering if pool exercise is an option for you? I have problems with one of my feet, and the pool is amazing. It's one of the few times I'm 100% pain free. I just wish I could access it more!
  • Felicity_jane
    Options
    My dad had a slimband put in last year. Since then, he's lost 96 pounds. He absolutely adores his slimband because he can eat the same as everyone else, just in lower amounts. He needed the slimband because he had severe arthritis, colitis and diabetes so he couldn't exercise/eat the way that the rest of people on a diet do. Since he's gotten into his 200s, he's been slowly starting to exercise again and is now at the point he can walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes everyday! Hope everything works out for you, if you have any questions just let me know :)
  • Eavie0513
    Eavie0513 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My sister had a bariatric procedure done in the early 80's during the infancy of the program. The procedure used staples and stapled her stomach to the size of a walnut sized pouch. She developed alot of scar tissue and eventually gained back every single pound and more and topped the scale at 300 in 2010. In the beginning of 2011, she consulted a bariatric specialty practice. While she had to have alot of repair done from the previous surgery, she had approx 3/4 of her stomach and quite a bit of her small intestine removed. She has to take alot of supplements, have bloodwork done on a very frequent basis and really has to watch her fat and sugar intake. She LOVES food and it's a real sacrifice for her, but because of the therapy she recieved prior to the surgery she is doing wonderfully. Her head had to be in the right place for the surgery to be successful, it's not a magic thing like some people do but an awesome tool for people who can't lose weight in more conventional means.

I hope you have much success and get moving again, you will feel so much better no matter which choice you make. I know her life is changed forever.