Kale Chips

Options
Psychedelicately
Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
Bought a bunch of Kale this morning... I want to make Kale chips! Anyone have any good recipes?

Replies

• Adrian211
    Adrian211 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I tried making them last week, but unfortunately they didn't turn out. Basically I washed and spun dried it, chopped it in bite size pieces, and tossed it with olive oil, salt, and pepper. 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until leaves started to brown, but not blacken. I think you have to play with the temperature and time. Sorry I couldn't be more help
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lw7tkuQda31r0hti6.gif
  • bigcatsrock
    bigcatsrock Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've made them a bunch of times and found it really does varies as far as temperature and time. The last time I made them, I put them on 400 degrees and watched them very closely every few minutes and I think cooked them about 6-8 minutes. Wash leaves, break apart and take out the thick stalk, spin dry, lay them out on a cookie sheet (sprayed with cooking spray), then I spray with the kale with olive oil spray or other cooking spray and sprinkle sea salt on them. Bake on a cookie sheet until crisp. You need to eat them right away, they do not store well and will be soggy if you store them. I've also broken up the chips and put them in air popped popcorn.
  • SunseekerChild
    Options
    Kale Chips:
    wash kale and remove stems
    place kale in large bowl and add a sprinkle of extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed), sea salt and nutritional yeast
    place on dehydrator and dehydrate until desired crispyness

raw-kale-chips-makes-45-dehydrator-trays-21252620.jpg
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Nouveau Raw has a great Cheesy Kale Chip recipe:

Ingredients:
    • 2 heads curly leaf kale (de-stemmed and tore in bits)
    • 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 2 hrs)
    • 1 large red bell pepper
    • Juice of one large lemon
    • 1/4 to 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
    • 1/2 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
    • 1/2 tsp sea salt

Preparation:
    1. Chop the red pepper into chunks and add to a blender with the lemon juice. Blend until the pepper is broke done nicely.
    2. Add the cashews, red chili pepper flakes and salt and again blend until smooth.
    3. Add the nutritional yeast and blend again. Doing it in stages like this helps you to get the smooth consistency you need without over-heating it.
    4. Put the kale in a large bowl then pour the blended mixture over it and massage it in until all the leaves are coated.
    5. Place it on dehydrator trays on mesh sheets and dehydrate at 110 degrees for about 8 hrs. If they aren’t crispy enough, leave them in a bit longer.

Tips:
    • Soaking your cashews will help them blend smooth and creamy.
    • Use the kale when it’s as fresh as possible, kale gets much more bitter as it gets older.
    • When tearing the kale into pieces, don’t tear the kale up too small. They will shrink as they dry.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • nixie70
    Options
    Beware! Kale chips are good - but - they will leave you with some serious bad breath! :noway: :sick:
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I tried a batch this morning before I had any responses and they did NOT turn out. I'm going to try again tomorrow with some of your recommendations!
  • Anita1271
    Options
    I made some for the first time last week. I made sure they were super dry, put them in a plastic bag with olive oil, sea salt and a bit of garlic salt & shook them up to make sure they were all coated. I baked them at 350 for about 7-8 min, then I tossed them, and put them back in for another 7-8 min. I did two batches like this and the first batch wasn't very crispy, so the second batch I baked them a little longer. I loved them! I could have eaten them all in one sitting! :blushing:
  • Crabbyone77
    Options
    Does anyone know if baby Kale can be used to make chips? I usually buy a big bag of the baby Kale from Costco.

thank you
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yes, baby kale works

I made kale chips the first time last week and have had to make them twice more because hubs loves them so much!

I tore the leaves of 2 bunches of kale into bite size (about 2 inch) pieces, washed and spun in a salad spinner. Put the kale in a bowl with about 1.5-2tbsp olive oil and massaged it into the leaves so all parts of all leaves had oil. I spread out on a tray, sprinkled with salt and pepper and cooked in my convection-toaster oven on 300*f for 20-22min (check for doneness starting around 18min)

Edit: next time I'm gonna sprinkle some grated parmesan on before baking.. I heard it's awesome
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the recipes. I love kale chips and have always wanted to make them!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I would imagine baby kale would taste better than mature kale. I'll just have to find me some!

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • Crabbyone77
    Options
    It's nice and easy to work with , no big stems! I'll try it out :D
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set recipe, but I basically take 2-4 cups of shredded kale leaves, washed & let dry, spread them around a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, mist with oil & sprinkle with some spices of some sort, rearrange it all a bunch with some tongs, mist it & spice it again, then bake at 350F for 10-30 minutes, checking every 10m until they're as done as I like them to be.

Normally I pull 'em out when they're getting more brown than green.

For the oil, Pam will work, or I'll use a mister filled with some chili-infused oil that I've made.

For the spices, sometimes I'll just use salt & pepper, sometimes garlic salt, sometimes a cajun mix of some sort. Old Bay and Emeril's Essence work in a pinch. :)
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Bump!