Is 1200 calories enough?

Options
I have been eating 1200 calories for roughly 2 years now I have seen results but I found in the last 5 or 6 months that I seem to constantly feel hungry only eating 1200 calories a day. I eat a lot of fiber and I try to eat lots of protien but still feel hungry all the time. I am pretty active I try work out at least 3 times a week and I work with children so I am on my feet all day. I have almost reached my goal weight now I am really just trying to maintain my weight more than anything and tone. I typically can stick to the 1200 calories a day all week while I am busy at work but once the weekend comes I feel absolutely starving and usually end up binge eating. I am getting married in a year and really want to look great in my wedding dress. Ive worked really hard to lose the weight I have lost and its taken a few years to get to the weight I have gotten to and I dont want to ruin all my hard work. Should I be eating more than 1200 calories a day?

Replies

• bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water? I find that helps. Also, eat more fruits and vegetables--those are filling and very few calories.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you're ravenously hungry at only 1200 calories then, well, simply eat more. Make it healthy foods(try to incorporate some healthy fats like nuts and avocado) but still try to eat more calories. Before I started MFP I didn't believe in the concept of "eat more to weigh less" but I've become a convert. Eating too few calories is not good for you. Plus feeling hungry makes me obsess about food which then will turn into a binge......
  • casey882
    casey882 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you're ravenously hungry at only 1200 calories then, well, simply eat more. Make it healthy foods(try to incorporate some healthy fats like nuts and avocado) but still try to eat more calories. Before I started MFP I didn't believe in the concept of "eat more to weigh less" but I've become a convert. Eating too few calories is not good for you. Plus feeling hungry makes me obsess about food which then will turn into a binge......
    very wise words
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    I would say if you're hungry then eat. You can increase your cals just a little bit each week and see if you gain or not? Should be fine though if you're eating good and exercising. You prob do need to increase. If you don't eat enough you're gonna start feeling like crap I would venture. I only eat 1200 but I'm not an very active person, also I do eat my exercise cals back (not all of them usually but some).
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My husbands aunt teaches (not yoga.. but something like that), pretty and thin. She watches her calories hard on the weekdays but takes the weekend 'off'. It's the only time she'll have any alcohol, dessert, etc. She doesn't binge.. just enjoys the weekend. Seems to work for her.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein because that keeps you from feeling hungry. A hard boiled egg is 70 calories. As far as your question, if you are binge eating regularly are you really eating 1200? Try eating a few more calories, particularly your exercise calories, and see how that works for you. Some time ago, there was a lot of discussion on the boards about zigzag dieting. This is varying your calories from day to day, along the lines of the cheat day idea.
  • westberrykaren
    Options
    I found in the past eating raw veggies would fill that hunger when I felt as though I was starving. I am the opposite 1200 cal seems to be way too much for me and I have a hard time reaching 1200.