ramen noodles?

Options
From scale 1 to 10, how bad are ramen noodles?

Replies

• akmlebre
    akmlebre Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    idk about a scale but the sodium content is very high and their is very little nutritional value. That being said I do crave them about once a month
  • Pamemiller
    Options
    i know the feeling... sometimes i don't have appetite for nothing just noodles
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    they are really, really really processed, and fried.

That one guy (the eat this, not that author) said that one package has 2 servings in it, so the calories are really high for a small amount of food.
  • akmlebre
    Options
    have you tried spaghetti squash
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I crave them, my kids love them, but I mean, 400 calories for one packet??!! That is just too much, not worth it. And the sodium would put 2 lbs on me over night. So I give them like an 8, 10 being the worst.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I know theyre bad but I love them!
    I usually add some vegetables in them to give them a little more nutritional value
  • Pamemiller
    Options
    have you tried spaghetti squash
    i never had those .. are they good?
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have three packages in the fridge, and plan to buy more sometime later this year.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    you should google ramen noodle recipes. You could probably make some decently healthy meals out of them if you tried. The sodium is the killer though
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    the real ones are high in calories and sodium, I'm not sure about the cheap ones at the regular grocery store. I would assume those are probably worse.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    LOTS of sodium...not very good for losing weight,not good for someone who would struggle with bp!! One pack has 2 servings and really what is nutritional about them???? SPAGHETTI SQUASH!!! But if you must every once in a while.....Have your ramen noodles! We all have something now and then!
  • Pamemiller
    Options
    I have three packages in the fridge, and plan to buy more sometime later this year.
    why in the fridge?
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm going to put it up there at an 8 or 9. Refined carbs and fried... not good. Plus if you add the seasoning package, TONS of sodium. Best to avoid if you can.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you only have one serving and add in veg and chicken or hard boiled egg and only use part of the seasoning (or make your own seasoning) they aren't as bad. Just not much nutritional value in the noodles by themselves.
  • RayMan354
    Options
    The sodium is the deal breaker with ramen noodles... but bang for the buck (like 25 to 35 cents), it is a tasty (salty) treat. I NEVER use the entire flavor packet... I drain all the water, just add a little bit of the packet (sprinkle, sprinkle) and try to drink plenty of water when I'm finished. The cheap stuff is never the best for you health wise... but it sure does taste good! :laugh:
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    There is something to be said about a meal that costs less than a pack of gum. But heres my recipie

I can of hormel all natural chicken
    I can of green giant sliced mushrooms
    I package of ramen noodles
    throw away the chicken flavor pack use low sodium chicken broth and or a chicken bullion cube. Boil serve delish
  • CaptChad75
    Options
    I save the chicken bullion packs and when I get enough of them i unscrew the shower head and pour them in and screw it back on so when my roomate hops in the shower he gets some aroma therapy
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    High cal, high sodium, low nutrition. Cheap, easy, fast, and tasty. I remember the days of eating 2 packages as a side dish to a meal. It's no wonder I'm fat.

Look into Shiritaki noodles if you want pasta. They have no calories and hence no nutritional value but if your looking for a pasta substitute they work. Make sure you do some research in how to prepare them. If you just boil them like pasta and pour spaghetti sauce over them you will probably be disappointed in them.
  • Pamemiller
    Options
    There is something to be said about a meal that costs less than a pack of gum. But heres my recipie

I can of hormel all natural chicken
    I can of green giant sliced mushrooms
    I package of ramen noodles
    throw away the chicken flavor pack use low sodium chicken broth and or a chicken bullion cube. Boil serve delish
    that sounds really good, i guess i can try it whenever i feel like eating noodles .. thanks ... but for sure I'm going to try to take ramen noodles away from me lol
  • akmlebre
    Options
    that sounds pretty good