Starvation mode is a myth

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Please go and read this - and then search the seven million times this topic has been beaten to death on the site......:sick: :noway:

I know about search - but this is intended to be an interactive message board - if you don't want to participate then just don't

Snitty aren't you?

This should be good.

In...

...to read and get all defensive about online stuff later...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    how original. a simple search of prior threads would give you everything you're looking for and more. /thread.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I believe starvation mode happens but only to those with a BMI below normal.
  • DL21Smith
    DL21Smith Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think i will stick with what my DR, Dietary Nurse and Diabetes Nurse have told me. Anything less than 1200 cals a day and your body is not getting the nutrients you need. Regardless of loosing weight...it should be about being healthy.

I agree...
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    Nawh, it's cool, I'll keep eating WAY MORE than 1200 calories and lose fat not muscle. You enjoy that though.
    Options
    The topic may be over worked but I still have not seen any scientific proof of it - it is just anecdotal at best or an old wives tale at worst
    I agree with this. People even get mad at me on here for bringing it up but I've STILL never seen actual proof of it.

I don't restrict below 1000 calories, I eat usually from 1300 to 1500 but that's simply because if I forced myself to go lower, I'd probably feel irritable or binge eat. I don't really think going below that would cause me to lose fat slower though, I really don't. There are people who literally fast, with juice, water, or otherwise, for 30 straight days and lose tremendous amounts of weight. They've clearly not entered starvation mode yet.

Literal starvation and a HUGE deficit are slightly different --in the absence of calories your body has NO CHOICE but to use it's fat stores. That doesn't mean your weight loss is as great as one would predict based on your estimated deficit--it usually isn't. That's adaptive thermogenesis for you. I'll be damned if I endure the agony of such a low calorie diet only for a nominal increase in my rate of weight loss--that's just silly.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think i will stick with what my DR, Dietary Nurse and Diabetes Nurse have told me. Anything less than 1200 cals a day and your body is not getting the nutrients you need. Regardless of loosing weight...it should be about being healthy.

I agree...

Many people eat 3000 calories a day and still dont get the nutrients they need. More calories does not equal more essential vitamins/minerals/nutrients!
    Options

I agree...

Many people eat 3000 calories a day and still dont get the nutrients they need. More calories does not equal more essential vitamins/minerals/nutrients!

Doesn't necessarily mean more nutrients but the odds of getting more nutrients while eating 3000 calories is SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the odds of getting enough while eating less than 1200 calories.
  • knrhardin
    Options
    HECK YEAH IT SHOULD LETS GET HEALTHY!!!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Please go and read this - and then search the seven million times this topic has been beaten to death on the site......:sick: :noway:

Who is the author of this article? Anecdotal at best & premised on a sample of 1 with absolutely no data to back it up. (But I do agree, the topic has been done to death.....)

Word^. agree with OP....
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Sigh.

Starvation mode is not kids in Africa. That is starvation.

What people call 'Starvation Mode' here is the metabolic slowdown from a reduced calorie intake over an extended period of time. It's a natural response that allows your body to capitalise on periods of Plenty to store food for reserve, in times of Famine.

There are no periods of Plenty in Africa.

Anorexics tend to start at low calories - around 800-900 and drop it as their weightloss slows(aka 'Starvation Mode') (read:not stops) down to dangerous levels, below what their body needs for basic functions like making your heart beat and breathing. It is at this point the energy starts to be taken from muscle and organ tissue to keep up with demand. This is Starvation.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Nutrition, nutrition and nutrition is VERY important all of one's life and is especially important in seniors. Many older people unconsciously adopt a "starvation mode" diet because they get in a vicious cycle of eating less because of poor appetite, which cuts their energy levels and makes them eat even less. They lose their muscle mass as their bodies, starved for nutrients, begin to catabolize their muscles (called sarcopenia) which often leads to falls and bone breakage, which in turn, can be so debilitating, in the case of a broken hip, that they succumb to their injuries. Nutrition and exercise are especially important for seniors as a way of staying reasonably healthy until their bodies just quit. Studies have shown that seniors who are well-nourished and maintain an active lifestyle do not die a lot later than their poorly-nourished and sedentary age-mates. They just spend a lot less time being debilitated.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    There are people dying from anorexia on a fairly regular basis. Super low calorie is not the way to go.
    Wow anorexia is a mental disorder. Not a diet.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    There are people dying from anorexia on a fairly regular basis. Super low calorie is not the way to go.

Where did the poster said anorexia is a diet?
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    This is gonna get good, I can tell.
  • ironanimal
    Options
    It's a mental disorder that makes you restrict food intake to dangerous levels. Stop being so intentionally ignorant.
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is gonna get good, I can tell.

Yup...get the popcorn ready. That's a safe snack right?! LOL
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Doesn't exist. Your metabolism slows down due to leptin and thyroid hormones but it doesn't stop. Most people who starve often binge once in a while. If you are hyper dieted your body hyper compensates. For instance, after a body building comp due to water, salt and calories consumed I can put on 28lb in 4 days...
  • ironanimal
    Options
    Doesn't exist. Your metabolism slows down due to leptin and thyroid hormones but it doesn't stop. Most people who starve often binge once in a while. If you are hyper dieted your body hyper compensates. For instance, after a body building comp due to water, salt and calories consumed I can put on 28lb in 4 days...
    Yay for science.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options