Does it bother you when...

trekkiebeth
trekkiebeth Posts: 172
edited September 20 in Chit-Chat
Does it bother you when skinny girls complain about how many calories they've eaten or how they really want a muffin but they know they shouldn't? And I don't mean average sized girls, I mean girls who are naturally very skinny and seem like they don't gain an ounce no matter what they eat. For some reason, this really gets on my nerves. I feel like if a girl that size is agonizing over a muffin, she must think an average sized girl like me is grossly fat.

What do you think? Am I being too hard on these poor naturally thin women? Do they have as much right to loudly complain about their weight as us genuinely chubby women? (Not to imply that everyone who reads this must be chubby.)

Replies

• mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Roommate. 5'7", 98lbs, size 00-1 (1's fit loose), can eat a double-double, large fries and a shake on top of a full day of eating and not even be bloated the next day. She usually loses weight when she eats a lot, actually.

She's superhuman, I swear.

And YES, it annoys me to death when she says "oh I shouldn't have a coke, I'll take DIET" or "Hmm.. that candy looks soooo good, but I just can't."

AH!!! Makes me want to pull my hair out sometimes.

Screw that, I'm eating the candy :P
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    It annoys me but then I know some of those girls and a lot of the time they think they look awful.
    If they are agonising over every mouthful then they must live sad lives.

also the ones that I know seem to think that EVERYBODY else looks good except them
  • trekkiebeth
    Yikes. If someone is actually super skinny and think that they're fat, does that qualify as delusional?
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Yikes. If someone is actually super skinny and think that they're fat, does that qualify as delusional?

I would think so!! And probably sick.. :frown: in the sense that they don't know what a healthy body size is.

Normal "skinny" girls who have lost weight also suffer from body dysmorphia. Such a tricky balance.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    I know what you mean, but do you actually know that they are "naturally skinny"? Could be they're skinny *because* they agonise over what they eat. Not saying its so, just saying its possible. I still empathise with you though.
  • trekkiebeth
    And probably sick.. :frown: in the sense that they don't know what a healthy body size is.

Unfortunately that probably describes a lot of people since the societally ideal body type can only be reached by most people through unhealthy extremist measures.
  • JustJamie
    JustJamie Posts: 31 Member
    5'7", 98lbs

Dang, I'm 5'0 and I don't even look good at 98lbs! I personally prefer a healthy, lean (and, on me, curvier) look to a stick figure look. Which is why I'm aiming for more like 115-120.

My aunt is about 5'9 and MAYBE 130lbs, skeletal skinny and has no muscle mass and SHE thinks she's fat!!! I feel sad for her. :frown:
  • helenrandle
    helenrandle Posts: 2 Member
    I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I've just allowed my diet and lifestyle to lay some flab on my lower body! I know I'm not in need of entering the biggest loser by a long way, but I'm trying to eat healthily and restart exercise to lose this new gained flab!
    I'm aware that other people around me must think I'm crazy but they haven't seen me in a bikini or try to heave on my clothes that no longer fit so well!
    It's a very individual thing, but yes, I'm careful not to moan to much as friends and colleagues have a bigger battle with the bulge than I do.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I've just allowed my diet and lifestyle to lay some flab on my lower body! I know I'm not in need of entering the biggest loser by a long way, but I'm trying to eat healthily and restart exercise to lose this new gained flab!
    I'm aware that other people around me must think I'm crazy but they haven't seen me in a bikini or try to heave on my clothes that no longer fit so well!
    It's a very individual thing, but yes, I'm careful not to moan to much as friends and colleagues have a bigger battle with the bulge than I do.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't like to be judged by people that have never seen me without my clothes on. So what if I don't want to eat that greasy cheeseburger.......it's my choice and I'm not going to let other people make me feel bad about it. What I can't stand are the people that claim to be "dieting", yet eat blueberry muffins, hot chocolate & Pepsi for breakfast and Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonalds and potato chips EVERYDAY for lunch.....(not to mention NEVER exercising) then complain to me that they are not losing any weight and don't know why. Seriously?
  • What I can't stand are the people that claim to be "dieting", yet eat blueberry muffins, hot chocolate & Pepsi for breakfast and Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonalds and potato chips EVERYDAY for lunch.....(not to mention NEVER exercising) then complain to me that they are not losing any weight and don't know why. Seriously?

This right here - annoys me soooo much
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    When I was thin before, people thought I had a problem because I weighed constantly and worried over my weight. The reason I did that was because I had to work my butt off to get it off after having my kids and my mom was always a yo-yo dieter who never managed to maintain her weight loss. After she got cancer and eventually died, I stopped caring about me and managed to put on about 30 pounds. So yes it's an obsession for some people. I was thin for so many years because I was so careful. When I stopped being careful, I became overweight.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    I just figured that the skinny ones saying that they shouldn't eat this or that... I always just told myself - well, that's why they were skinny... :flowerforyou:

Yes, I agree with gutterball about eating all wrong then complain that they can't lose weight. They figure it should be magic, I guess. :bigsmile:
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    every body has an angle.. I hear that alot when i go to the gym here at the complex. Young girls in their 20's complaining that they can't lift too much weight of they will bulk up. I lift some decent weights and have no bulked up yet. And it amazes me to see the women who are body builders with all that mass who weigh 130 132 lbs. Still got 40 lbs over them and no where near looking like that . but on my way to a healthier life style .thanks for the post.. Ellie :smile:
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    :smile: sorry about your mom.. Yes losing the ones we love does effect our weight loss.. This is something that does take thought and planning and not easy when you live a real life.. thanks for the post
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Does it bother you when skinny girls complain about how many calories they've eaten or how they really want a muffin but they know they shouldn't? And I don't mean average sized girls, I mean girls who are naturally very skinny and seem like they don't gain an ounce no matter what they eat. For some reason, this really gets on my nerves. I feel like if a girl that size is agonizing over a muffin, she must think an average sized girl like me is grossly fat.

What do you think? Am I being too hard on these poor naturally thin women? Do they have as much right to loudly complain about their weight as us genuinely chubby women? (Not to imply that everyone who reads this must be chubby.)

Similarly, I used to hate the guy that would act all bummed and miffed in college when he got his paper back and recieved a B. Meanwhile, I'd be content with my C.... I really dislike that guy :laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Nope...doesn't bother me. Just because they are thin doesn't mean that they are healthy. Society has put in in our heads that healthy=skinny...we all know that this isn't true but it's portrayed like this in movies, on tv, magazines, ect...
    I'm pretty thin myself (I weigh 90 pounds-and yes it's a healthy weight for me)...but I still have a 'mom pouch' that I'm trying to get rid of.
    Also, why is it okay to talk about girls that complain about what they eat, but it's not okay to talk about girls who are over weight and don't want to change?
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    I agree with TheMaidOfAstolat, there are always these post about "skinny" girls and how everyone hates to hear them complain, and make the smart choice by saying "oh that looks good but I better not", but yet it's not acceptable and somewhat offensive to say something to the overweight person that is always complaining about being overweight. Why is it ok to constantly banter about "skinny" girls, but if I were to say something about the "overweight" girls, I would more than likely get a lot of "hate" replies. We all have our battles and our sensitivities......
  • Yes, this gets under my skin as well.. do what I do... I simply ask them "you think you are fat, I hate to think of what you think of me"? They hate that because they turn red in the face and are thrown off.
    They usually say "oh, your not fat" then I say "oh, and you think you are though" and I ask them how much sense that makes......

They hate it and they never say things like again in front of me.... matter of fact they try really hard to bring up anything to do with weight to me....

Give it a try
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Along my journey, I'm learning to think differently about how or why people do what they do, or don't do. Maybe she was really heavy before, and literally worked her *kitten* off to get "skinny". So eating a muffin or something is something she really has to think about. I'm sure some people in the supermarket look at me funny when I look at the nutrition content of a box of Chips Ahoy and decide if I have enough calories to get a small box.

Also, when I see people eating things they shouldn't, like in a restaurant or their in a fast food drive through, instead of automatically thinking "Ugh, God, why are they eating that?" I think twice. Maybe they have already lost a bunch of weight, and maybe this is their cheat day. I don't know them, who am I to judge them harshly?

ETA: Sorry, i jusr reread your post and saw you directed it about naturally skinny people...
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,999 Member

Nah, it doesn't bother me any more than complainers bother me in general. I figure I have more important things to focus my attention on than getting bothered by stuff that has absolutely no effect on me and that I can't do anything about.
This discussion has been closed.