ramen noodles?

Options

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Raman is made in the same place where shellfish are processed and I am allergic!
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who is VERY poor (unemployed, has bills still), I do sometimes buy ramen noodles. I haven't in awhile, but, they are not completely out of my diet.

What I do is throw away the seasoning packets and just use the noodles. I season them with whatever I might be wanting that day, oregano, chili powder, italian seasonings. I figure, it is still unhealthy because of the noodles but I have to be somewhat better off without using THEIR seasonings. Which who knows what it really is.

well then why not just buy wheat pasta for $1-2 a pound.

I can't believe you think the noodles are okay and the SPICES is what to worry about.....

I can not believe that is what you got out of what I said. I did not say that, at all. I said I am better off not using their seasoning, but it is still unhealthy.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Coming from someone who is VERY poor (unemployed, has bills still), I do sometimes buy ramen noodles. I haven't in awhile, but, they are not completely out of my diet.

What I do is throw away the seasoning packets and just use the noodles. I season them with whatever I might be wanting that day, oregano, chili powder, italian seasonings. I figure, it is still unhealthy because of the noodles but I have to be somewhat better off without using THEIR seasonings. Which who knows what it really is.

I've started to buy my pasta in bulk, so I do that. I haven't bought ramen in a long time. But since I still have some packets, they are not completely out of my diet. But, pound by pound, ramen is still cheaper than 1-2$ a pound. At least where I live. I can get a packet of ramen for 5 cents.

IT's not a huge savings. $1 maybe? I don't think that's much considering you can by a perfectly healthy food for nearly as cheap.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I've started to buy my pasta in bulk, so I do that. I haven't bought ramen in a long time. But since I still have some packets, they are not completely out of my diet. But, pound by pound, ramen is still cheaper than 1-2$ a pound. At least where I live. I can get a packet of ramen for 5 cents.

Yea I have about 48 packs of them actually! Family sent them as a care package :P and I need the sodium, so i still eat them! :D

they are 25 cents a pack here, so pasta is actually cheaper though xD
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I think for cheap I would go for regular noodles boiled in chicken broth and whatever seasoning.

If you like the taste get asian noodles like chow mein noodles and cook with broth and a bit of soy sauce.

You can also get those fresh ramen noodles in the refer section. At least they aren't fried.
  • djc315
    Options

IT's not a huge savings. $1 maybe? I don't think that's much considering you can by a perfectly healthy food for nearly as cheap.

Be thankful you don't have to crunch pennies or dollars, I guess.
  • klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I crave them, and I eat them occasionally- for me, they are filling, comforting, easy to store in my classroom for an "emergency" lunch, and cheap. They are portion controlled, and especially good when my throat is starting to get sore or I feel a cold coming on. There is no such thing as a "BAD" food--- so I've been told. Could be worse!
    Options

Well, not to be mean but if you had to crunch pennies or dollars wouldn't it make more sense to find odd jobs that can earn you a bit more money than to spend hours online? I don't really see how you can say that $1 is cost prohibitive. Especially considering you already said you don't eat them often.
  • ParaSempreAmor11
    ParaSempreAmor11 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    lets just say last time i ate some was in front of my foods teacher and she made me promise her never to eat them again, i promised her and ever since then i haven't eaten any sooooooo im guessing they are pretty bad cause of the salt and many other things she told me why sadly i forgot though
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My family has a foreign exchange student who makes his own "flavoring" for the noodles... Sooooo good and soooooo much healthier. Unfortunately, I'm in a dorm XD So I just stick with the normal noodles and eat them on a day when I've worked out a lot
  • manth090
    Options
    I think you should google "ramen noodle digestion". It might just keep you away from them. I've never touched this stuff and probably never will. There are a million other great natural cheap alternatives to eat(Beans, oats, Sweet potatoes, peanut butter, brown rice, canned tuna(love tuna:) and a million more). Just have to research a bit. Hope this helps! :)
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Well, not to be mean but if you had to crunch pennies or dollars wouldn't it make more sense to find odd jobs that can earn you a bit more money than to spend hours online? I don't really see how you can say that $1 is cost prohibitive. Especially considering you already said you don't eat them often.

She said she buys them ONCE IN A WHILE and omits the seasoning packet to reduce the sodium content. She acknowledged that the noodles were still bad. She barely eats them anymore but still buys them occasionally. Look at her diary, she doesn sit around loading up on junk. Everyone on here eats "junk" sometimes and LOOK they're alive. Get off your high horse. You don;t know other people's situations. What is your deal? And yeah for people who have to pinch pennies, a dollar here and there can make a difference especially when things like rent and gas are so expensive. Just because a person owns a computer and posted on a site you cannot assume that they spend hours online and are too lazy to work. She posts all the time about having job interviews and such. People on here seriously have issues with taking things way out of context. Not just this, all the forums. It's ridiculous. Calm down. THEY'RE JUST NOODLES. :flowerforyou:
  • djc315
    Options

I feel sorry for you. You just assumed SO many things about me because I buy ramen noodles every now and then. You do not know anything about me, you do not know why I am unemployed. You do not know if I am or am not doing odd jobs. Not to mention I am not going to get an odd job so I can afford to buy a box of noodles compared to ramen noodles, it isn't that big of a deal to me, why is it for you? (for the record, I am doing odd jobs, otherwise I'd be living on the streets. Maybe I need to paint out exactly my situation for such a simple minded person) So, not to be mean but, go screw yourself.

Thank you, Liz.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    OMG there was a time when I would have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner . . . and then my roomie would wake me up at midnight and we'd share another pack.
    And we'd add a cheese slice to it now and then, sometimes a dollop of butter too, sometimes stir in some more ketchup and add in fried onions :noway: :noway:

I'd say that's the reason I gained my freshman fifteen . . .:cry:

But once in a blue moon . . .maybe
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well they're terrible for you - but occasionally I love a packet - Oriental flavor (how is that even an actual flavor) w/an egg dropped in and stirred up so it has a bit of a scrambled effect and some frozen peas tossed in. Yum!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    They're right up there with pork rinds -- aka fried pork fat. A one-to-ten scale doesn't go high enough to measure the bad.
  • Joneisha07
    Options
    11 cents a pack here. I say eat what you want in moderation.
  • kim200950
    Options
    I have this issue 2, but no lie they do really but weight on you! Any kinda of pasta does, If you most have it make no more than on cup and make it with something that has some other things you need in your diet. I am right with you I live off of this for my first yr of college and I still crave them badly from time to time!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten them in years but I remember buying baked ramen noodles in college. They still had a ton of sodium and crap in them but were lower in calories and fat. If you love them, eat half a package and add some steamed vegetables on the side. And some protein and it wouldn't be that awful.

I don't believe in giving up everything you love. I love ice cream (for example) and still eat it everyday. Just a controlled portion size that fits into my caloric needs instead of eating an entire carton of icecream like back in the day!
    Options
    Well Liz--i might have oversimplified your situation but your response was uncalled for. So, I'm not going to apologize for what I said--your whole situation sounds rather contradictory to me. I wasn't mean in my suggestion and didn't deserve a "go screw yourself" --you clearly have a lot of time on your hands to post on a fitness website and bash someone who calls you out. I don't think it's a bad suggestion to tell someone to find an odd job to supplement their income. So if that makes me simple minded then I'll take it.