will i lose weight w a day like today?

Options
i feel like i ate so much today and i didnt workout. i hope i will lose weight still

chewy almond granola bar- 160 cal
coffee- 40 cal
double fiber english muffin- 130
1 chicken sausage- 130
small saalad w 1/2 slice swiss cheese- 100
sugar free rice pudding- 70
mini popcorn bag- 100
subway 6" sweet onion chicken sandwich- 380
non fat greek yogurt- 100
1T almond butter- 100

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You're barely over 1200 calories. That's not eating so much - I'd hate to see what you consider a normal day if you think this is excessive. If anything you won't lose weight because you probably eat too little.
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    nah i dont think the calories were excessive but i just felt like i was munching alot. and my day consisted of: - walk 5 feet to my car, sit on butt in office for 6 hours, walk 5 feet back to my car, take a nap, get up to eat subway, sit on computer lol. hopefully im still in a deficit
  • kaylad8528
    kaylad8528 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Jc, have you tried looking at your BMR? MFP has a calculator for it here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Your BMR is the number of calories your body burns just keeping you alive. So, for example, my BMR is 1600, but my diet plan is 1200 calories a day, so even if I did nothing but eat and sleep, I would still be in a 400 calorie deficit.

Even though you snacked, and you were always full, your snacks were healthy and good portions. : ) You did great.
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    Thanks! Yikes my bmr is only 1300 though :/. Looks like I probably gained a bit
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate. This is the number of calories you would use if you were in a coma. Unless you are quite obese, you should not be eating less calories than your BMR. In order to lose weight, you should eat about 15-20% below your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), which is much higher than your BMR. This (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) will give you a general estimate of your TDEE. If you know your body fat percentage, you can use this (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/) to determine a more accurate caloric intake. You are not going to gain weight from the 1310 calories you ate today, even if you literally did nothing all day. In fact, you should probably be eating more like 1400-1500 calories a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yikes my bmr is only 1300 though :/. Looks like I probably gained a bit

BMR is not maintenance (TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure) which is equal to the calories you would consume without gaining or losing.

There is no way your TDEE is less than you ate.

What did you set your weight loss goal at?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    You already show a 17 pound loss... why are you looking for advice? It seems like you have things figured out if you're already nearing your goal.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So, for example, my BMR is 1600, but my diet plan is 1200 calories a day, so even if I did nothing but eat and sleep, I would still be in a 400 calorie deficit.
    NO!!! This is incorrect!!

If you did nothing but eat and sleep, you would be burning 1920 calories a day (1600 x 1.2). Your BMR calories is for stuff to keep your body alive and organs going. Doing stuff like going to the toilet, making food, sitting, etc is over and above that (the extra 320 calories on top).

You are not eating at a 400 calorie deficit, you are eating at a 720 calorie deficit. Unfortunately your body can only get so much energy from fat stores. If you are not eating enough, two things start happening: 1. your body starts using muscle for energy instead (meaning some fantastic results on the scale, but then 2. your metabolism slows down considerably to adjust to your new caloric intake and also due to much less muscle. So while you'll see some great results initially, you're simply taking off muscle and causing bigger issues in the long run.