Help!! I need to burn 1154 calories..any ideas?

Options
Hello all. Today is my first day with FP. I logged my intake and "somehow" I overate the recommended daily calorie intake by 1154. Any suggestions on what I can do to burn the extra calories? Thank you for your help in advance.

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Yep. Go to bed and start fresh tomorrow.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I personally would use your first week as your baseline... Just eat what you normally would so you know where your intake is presently.
  • mona252
    Options
    That is a good Idea. I know sleep is important and that is part of my problem. I go to bed too late. Fresh start in the a.m. sounds great. Thank you!!
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options

^^ This. It's your first week. Use it to learn where you're at. Go to bed, get some rest, you're going to need it. Do better tomorrow =D
  • mona252
    Options
    I did not think of that. I just saw the numbers and was a little shocked at how quickly things add up. Especially what I consider fairly healthy things. This is good advice as well thank you. =)
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I personally would use your first week as your baseline... Just eat what you normally would so you know where your intake is presently.

I would do this.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

this x a miggity miggity million.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I would do this.

I vote this. It will be INCREDIBLY helpful to accurately log your calories and weight for a week or two before starting. It will provide you with invaluable information. Do it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Use it to track calories so you can find out how much energy in calories you need to eat to maintain your present weight according to current daily activities. If you find after one month that you are neither gaining nor losing weight, you have found your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calories and can thus take the appropriate deficit based on how much weight you can realistically lose per week. The reason why I recommend this is because many people have no idea what their maintenance calorie range is and blindly pick a deficit which may not be suitable for them.

In that time, you can educate yourself on the site and science of adjusting one's body composition. In fact, if you love reading, I highly recommend you check out articles by Lyle McDonald as his stuff is backed by peer-reviewed studies.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/articles
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

^^this^^. first of all Congratulations for beginning this journey! Starting tomorrow I recommend you consider prelogging your favorite, go to foods that you consider healthy in order to learn the nutritional makeup of those foods. When you educate yourself about the foods you're choosing you can make more informed choices for what you eat. In time it becomes more habitual but in the beginning if you're going over calories often it could be that you need to get a firm grasp on nutritional composition of your foods. Exercise is extremely important but you lose weight in the kitchen and you get strong & fit through exercise.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Your just getting started...it was a live & learn for us too. It was hard to believe how much I ate. Make a plan for tomorrow and stick with it. Log your food when you eat it...or before. Then at the end of the day you will still have calories for dinner : )
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Review your MFP settings and goals..perhaps you have them to strict for just starting out?
    I agree with first post...start fresh tomorrow..everyday is a new day...you are not going to be perfect or proud each day. Take one day at a time!
  • emilysmellz
    emilysmellz Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    forget a couple pizzas in the oven..that'll surely burn 1154 calories!
  • mona252
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your help. I appreciate it. I will be checking out that website I do love to read so it would work out well for me. Today is a new day time to get motivated and moving. Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    This is really good advice.

And unless you are very over weight 1100 cal is super difficult to do.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Sleep is very important. Weight creepped on me because I slept on the sofa while watching TV every night, late at night, while also working, surfing the net. Since I started the weight loss journey, I have set a time, 11pm, and just go to bed and sleep for 8 hours. I wake up refreshed and ready to go. It also encourages me to stop eating after a certain time, about 8pm. If I feel hungry then, I just drink tea, lots of decaf tea like chamomile, without sugar. Since this is your first week, write in MFP what you eat because it will give you an idea where you consume a lot of calories and what changes you can make in your daily food choices to reduce your daily intake. Make also sure that you have put logical goals. We are all exited to put 2 lb weight loss per week, but when you start slow, it is more easy to stick with the plan. Put may be 0.5lb per week for the first month, as you experiment on the food changes you can make and become comfortable to stick with that menu. Do not be overly aggressive on your exercise at the start. Go slow but steady. As you built stamina and feel comfortable with the exercise routine, you can increase your exercise.
  • mona252
    Options
    Thank you Alta I appreciate your advice. Your situation is similar to mine. I used to work the graveyard shift a few years back so now my body is still used to being up at night even after all of this time has passed. I am trying to get myself back into going to sleep at a normal time. I also partially work from my computer now so I am not as active as I was before. That is why change is necessary! It will happen for us all. I know it will. Now that I am actually logging it and paying attention..I see where I have been going wrong. Good results are on their way! =)
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is 90 minutes of intense exercise. I did it last night playing 7 games of racquetball.

Is your Goal weight set to lose 2 lbs a week? That's pretty aggressive but everybody seems to start with that. I understand wanting to lose as much as fast as you can but in many cases that leads to burn out.

My favorite quote-
    "I'm not on a diet because diets don't work. This is a lifestyle change." - Unknown MFP'er