Meal replacement shakes

Options
124»

Replies

• YukonLandcruiser
    Options
    "I mix up shakes using Protein Powder, almond milk, frozen fruits and veggies when I don't have time to make real food. Sure beats the alternative of running up the street for fast food, which is what I would have done in the past. I also find that a good chocolate protein powder, thrown in the blender with some unsweetened almond milk and a frozen banana makes a great healthy alternative to Ice Cream or Chocolate treats when I have a sweet craving."

Thanks for the reminder that we can make our OWN shakes very easily!
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology, personally.

But I work very closely with a dietitician and I did ask her advice. She said that any shake replacement is fine, you just need to find one you can afford and that you like. She also said that she recommends doing the "two shakes a day" to speed up weightloss for 3 months max and then cutting back to one meal replacement shake a day.

Goodluck! Heck try'em all if you can! LOL!
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have one meal replacement shake in the morning to replace breakfast. It's better than not having breakfast at all, or worse, being so hungry on my way to work that I end up at a drive-thru getting a 700 calorie breakfast burrito. So all you people saying that meal replacements don't help your learn portion control can get over it. One meal is not the only meal that can teach you how much you need to eat.

As for the shakes I use, I go back and forth between a few...

IsaLean shakes from Isagenix because it has a good carb/protein/fat balance, and since it's so thick, it keeps me full the longest of any of the shakes. The downside is that they're kind of gross.

Complete 40 Pro shakes. They're slightly lower in calories than Isagenix, and have WAY more protein (40g), so I use these when I've worked out a lot, and need that extra bit of protein boost. I've tried both the Banana Cream Pie, and the Strawberry Shortcake flavors and they're both amazing.

I still have some Slim Fast shake mix sitting in my cupboard, but I'm not as big of a fan as the other two. The quality just doesn't stand up.
  • Grits2926
    Options
    I have been on Medifast since August 14, 2012. I've lost 18 pounds without a great deal of exercising. My cardiologist recommended it to me. I like it so well that when I've reached my goal, I intend to continue using the products in maintenance.

It does include one lean and green meal which helps me get accustomed to eating healthy. Taste buds have changed dramatically already.

I also am now using a FitBit which I LOVE! It encourages me to take the stairs and to get as much exercise as I can every day. It is making a huge difference in how I view working out.

Good luck!
  • ZTazlor
    ZTazlor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Every time there is one of these threads there are the slew of comments about how you shouldn't drink meal replacements and blah blah blah. I don't believe the OP was asking if she SHOULD drink them, she was asking for opinions from those that DO drink them. There is nothing wrong with drinking a meal replacement shake if that's what you choose to do. If you are using a healthy one, there's no reason you can't drink it the rest of your life if you want to. If you are learning portion control and healthy eatting then you won't gain back the weight when you stop drinking them. You continue to eat sensibly, staying in your calorie goals.

When someone asks for an opinion about wether or not to drink them, then feel free to preach about how much of a waste you think they are, but when someone is asking about opinions from those who actually drink them - move on and let those people share their opinions.

I'm sorry, but I get so tired of the negativity every time someone posts about nutritional shakes.

I have to agree here!!

I was interested in this topic to find out which are the most nutritious...I struggle a lot on weekends so thought that i could use meal replacement shakes at least for two meals over the weekend. So want to know that the ones I choose are still balanced but low calorie...
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    I use meal replacement shakes. Right now they have a new flavor for the holidays, orange cream. If anyone wants to buy some...I'll send you the website.

•Available in Chocolate Mocha, Chocolate, Vanilla and Berry
    •Offered in pouches
    •24 grams of protein
    •5-6 grams of fiber
    •26 vitamins and minerals and only 220 calories
    •Contains 50% of the daily value of calcium
  • stashypants
    Options
    I love my shakeology! Chocolate and the vegan strawberry. I wasn't a very strong believer in shakes as a meal replacement simply because I love my food, and my breakfast haha. However I do use shakeology as my breakfast because after doing research on ingredients, it really is as healthy as it gets in a powder form. I'm sure I could go out and get ingredients to make something AS nutritious if I had time to spend. I see a shake as a time saver, and since its all natural I don't feel bad at all about it. The ingredients are quite incredible.
  • goddessofsewing
    goddessofsewing Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't use any shakes, but I usually have a green smoothie in the morning. Almond milk, greek yogurt, peanut butter, spinach, and a frozen banana to cover the spinach flavor. Switch the regular almond milk for the chocolate flavor and you've got heaven in a cup. It even keeps me full for several hours. If it sounds good you can google Green Monster Smoothie and you'll get lots of results for that and other variations.