dieting and exercising yet gaining weight!!!

Options
hello all,
am new here! trying to find the food i eat daily on the database, which does not work all the time but i choose things that are close to.
am from the Africa and i can not find all the varieties in here and i do not know the calories in some of my food, but i try to be balanced and controlled.

am 5.4 and i weighed 167 when i started, i do the Jillians 30 days shred and i try a 1200 calorie diet.... in the last four days my scale went from 167.2 to 171.6!!!! why! why! whyyyy!!!

i can not figure what it is am doing wrong! HELP please

Replies

• painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I live in France and also have to guess often in the data base!
    I put on two kilos when I started the 30 day shred. I don't know why. It's starting to come off now though so I guess it's just a case of being patient!

Good luck!
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Im on day 15 and my weight went up 2lbs then down 3 now back up the 2lbs :p
    But take your measurements and photos its more accurate.
    I believe when you start an excercise programme your muscles retain fluid causing the scale to go up. Just stick with it. Its only a number on a machine. Doing the excercise is way more important. I am so much stronger already on Day 15 :)
    Best of Luck!
  • Biodemon
    Biodemon Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You are either:

A.) Gaining muscle or
    B.) Dealing with water retention. Reduce your sodium intake but your muscles must be waking which retains some fluids. Give your body a while to catch up :3
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    hello all,
    am new here! trying to find the food i eat daily on the database, which does not work all the time but i choose things that are close to.
    am from the Africa and i can not find all the varieties in here and i do not know the calories in some of my food, but i try to be balanced and controlled.

am 5.4 and i weighed 167 when i started, i do the Jillians 30 days shred and i try a 1200 calorie diet.... in the last four days my scale went from 167.2 to 171.6!!!! why! why! whyyyy!!!

i can not figure what it is am doing wrong! HELP please

a) the food calories you are logging are too low
    b) the food exercise calories you think you are burning are too high
    c) you're retaining water
    d) your BMR/TDEE baseline calculations are too high
    e) you're not logging everything correctly
    f) some combination of the above

these are the most common reasons. if everything else is correct, c) can easily cause you to see wild fluctuations with your "weight" over the course of a day or two. try looking at your weight over longer intervals before you get too panicked. for example, weigh yourself once a week and wait 2 or 3 weeks and then see where you are...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You are either:

A.) Gaining muscle or

B.) Dealing with water retention. Reduce your sodium intake but your muscles must be waking which retains some fluids. Give your body a while to catch up :3

Muscle gain doesn't occur that rapidly--if only it did we'd all be in a much better place--it is water weight. Also, I recommend eating your exercise calories OP. So, on 30 day shred days you'd eat 1200 + calories burned, which is likely somewhere around 200 calories.
  • Rawanmakki
    Options
    hey all! thank you sooo much! it is a relief to see others on the shred! i can see my endurance is getting better am still on day 5 ,, i exercise in the morning before i go to work, and i eat to satisfaction my breakfast and lunch... my dinner is either tea with biscuits (like my breakfast) or i just take tea. i snack as well, but i cheat ( small bites) if i desire something, i tried the yo yo diets and got fed up with it though it delivers results pretty fast! thanks guys i will keep on and weigh again next Wednesday inshaAllah, i weigh daily now! will come back to share my, hopefully, good results.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You are either:

A.) Gaining muscle or

Muscle gain doesn't occur that rapidly--if only it did we'd all be in a much better place--it is water weight. Also, I recommend eating your exercise calories OP. So, on 30 day shred days you'd eat 1200 + calories burned, which is likely somewhere around 200 calories.

Muscles hold on to water for repair. Exercise tears your muscle fibers, so along with protein, muscles retain water to recover. This has nothing to do with "building" muscle in the same way as a bodybuilder.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    hey all! thank you sooo much! it is a relief to see others on the shred! i can see my endurance is getting better am still on day 5 ,, i exercise in the morning before i go to work, and i eat to satisfaction my breakfast and lunch... my dinner is either tea with biscuits (like my breakfast) or i just take tea. i snack as well, but i cheat ( small bites) if i desire something, i tried the yo yo diets and got fed up with it though it delivers results pretty fast! thanks guys i will keep on and weigh again next Wednesday inshaAllah, i weigh daily now! will come back to share my, hopefully, good results.

I have been doing the 30DS workout for my exercise. I did Level 1 in October and just started Level 2. I know some people like to do it for 30 "calendar days" without taking rest, but I did it about 2 days a week and then did strength training and waking on my off days. I like it because it is intense. I like to spend about 30 minutes a day working out. And, I like to give my muscles recovery time. Training your muscles isn't what brings results. *Recovering* from training is what increases your endurance and strength.

I will also add that I really don't care about my total body weight. I'm tired of being a fat weakling! :laugh: And, I'm tired of seeing cute outfits that I can't wear. Instead, I have to go to the "plus section" where the choices are limited and only *rarely* can they be called cute! It's funny too because when I was a teenager, I never cared much about clothes. I played sports year round and once I reached high school, I lifted weights twice a week. But back then, Mom bought my clothes for me, so the only thing that mattered was if it was on sale. Whatever clothes I wanted were almost always in my size. It's like once I started wearing maternity clothes, I got used to having a spare tire. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Im on day 15 and my weight went up 2lbs then down 3 now back up the 2lbs :p
    But take your measurements and photos its more accurate.
    I believe when you start an excercise programme your muscles retain fluid causing the scale to go up. Just stick with it. Its only a number on a machine. Doing the excercise is way more important. I am so much stronger already on Day 15 :)
    Best of Luck!

Oh, and ^^^ this too!

My weight has went up and down. It seems like it takes about 48 hours for my body to release that water weight at which time my weight will drop down again. I weigh and measure myself often. I have noticed that I will typically gain 2-3 pounds, and a couple of times, my waist measurement was a full inch higher the day after I do a 30DS workout. I have been able to correlate the bloated feeling with the higher weight and inches, And then it's gone plus more to boot. Knowledge and patience are vital to sanity in these situations. :laugh:
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options

If you are only having tea and biscuits (maybe I picked that up wrong) then maybe you aren't eating enough?
  • Rawanmakki
    Options
    Hello all, i eat that for breakfast, sometimes i add in a banana,
    am still not losing any weight, am still 78! trying not to stop! it feels bad that after 10 days of exercise and watching what i eat, i still gain weight though i was stable for a while while not exercising or dieting! i was lighter!!! DISAPPOINTED!!!!
  • miscje1985
    Options
    newbie here!? what is the 30 day shred??
  • Toshiana123
    Options
    Whenever I don't know what the calorie intake is I Google it. For instance, Google calories for grilled chicken. You should find a website that tells you what the calories, fat, etc is. Hope this helps! ;0)
  • fivenight
    fivenight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me to - how discouraging it is - i have been at this for 11 months and still having trouble loosing weight.
    When you find the answer please please let me know
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself so often, weight can fluctuate a lot due to water. Your calorie goal of 1200 calories also seems quite low, do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    good thoughts,..thanks. I am having trouble losing weight and also looking for ideas.
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It is normal for your body weight to vary several pounds (a couple of kilos) through the course of the day. There are a lot of variables that can cause the fluctuation so don't worry about it. Stop weighing yourself so much. As a matter of fact, ignore the scale because it doesn't tell the full story. Log your weight weekly - same day and time each week just so you have a record. Measure everything else as well and take photos. It doesn't happen overnight, it's going to take some time.

As far as logging your meals, if you don't find it in the database, add it! I've got dozens of recipes that I've added as I find foods and meals that work for me. Enter the information off the labels if you can, if not then Google usually knows. If you take a bite of something from time to time - log it! Eating a couple of cookies a day can add up quickly even if they are small. If it goes in your mouth, it should go in your food diary, otherwise you're just cheating yourself.

Don't worry, if you stick with it and follow the basic rules the weight loss will come as will the fitness and health. Hang in there!
  • Rawanmakki
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much! am really happy ( and tearing) for all the support i got from you!
    I will keep on trying, i will add some time at the gym as well starting soon, maybe next week!
    i used to exercise at home alone.
  • Rawanmakki
    Options
    No am not eating all my exercise calories, i usually have biscuits with morning tea, whatever for lunch and a little something for dinner, then my evening tea. it does not usually add up to the calories i should consume but i do not feel hungry, sometimes i eat much at a meal when am enjoying it, but it still doesnt add uo to the 1200 at times, never mind the added 300 calories for exercise! maybe my inputs are not correct?
  • Rawanmakki
    Options
    sorry i missed replying to that, its a 30 day exercise sequence that gradually increase in level of difficulity, its by Jillian the biggest loser coach! it is fun and you can feel it!! it has a "modified" version of exercises along with more advanced ones...i love it hope you try it