Cardio and weight loss question

Options
How has jogging/walking helped you lose weight? Today was the first day I have gone jogging in a long time. I am hoping that if I can keep exercising I will have less on an issue with plateauing. I have had a hard time dropping weight but have lost inches in the last 85 days. I really want my weight and inches to drop. What do you guys think? Right now I just want to get the fat off. What have you guys experienced?

Replies

• rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I started I did nothing (exercise wise) except take walks which started as a 15 min loop around the block and would increase over time. Now I walk/jog for about a 3 mile loop every few days (doing strength training now on opposite days) and it has gotten easier overall except that some days may be harder then other if I'm just feeling tired. Cardio was my best friend when starting to lose weight because it was such an easy thing to do and it eventually just became a routine, the fact that walking was very low impact for me and didn't cause a lot of strain kept my motivation up to keep moving.

Strength training is great to tone your body and lose weight but when I tried to lift weights early on in my journey I found I would get too frustrated with it, or become too sore afterwards and end up taking days off to recover but then be very reluctant to start again. If you are comfortable with cardio then I say keep it up! If you decide to switch up workouts in the future then that would be great as well but I found that when just starting off the best thing I could do to keep exercising regularly was to pick something that I actually enjoyed doing and could just make it a habit, not a chore, to get it done.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I want to try walking/ jogging since it is so cold outside. I can actually exercise when it is cold. I live with other people and they keep the temperature up around 70-75 degrees. That is too hot for me to be able to work out. also I have had issue with the other people I live with complaining that I exercise at home normally
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Also, Since doing the jogging/walking yesterday, my shins hurt every time they move, I feel like something is trying to detach itself from the bone. What could that be?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints.

For me, cardio means I can eat more while maintaining my weight loss goals. That's about it.