Atkins diet

Im doing the Atkins diet, but was wondering how I could make it work with mfp? Is anybody else on here on a low carb diet and not counting calories? I love being on mfp it gives me lots inspiration to not give up on losing weight.

Replies

• LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Not on Atkins, but I am on South Beach Diet. I just lower my carbs and sugars on here. Raised my protein. It all works out for me.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    I started off low carb/ketogenic and not counting cals. Lost almost 100lbs then stalled big time, got discouraged and put on about 40 of those lbs. Then I found this site and have been lucky with calorie counting and watching carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    You still have to count calories even if you do low carb. You can't sit back and eat 5,000 calories of fat and expect to lose weight.

^^^ This

When my mom tried Atkins, she used to eat like entire slabs of ribs. She would say that as long as she didn't eat carbs with it she would still lose. But she didn't.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    My experience with 3 years of practising Atkins religiously: I lost 40 pounds just counting carbs, but not calories. Then I plateaued. For a year. I found with myself and other folks I've talked to that you will reach a point where calories count and you won't be able to lose anymore until you start counting them too. While I felt really good eating low carb [and not eating sugar], I soon got frustrated with not losing weight and went off it. I was still not giving my body the nutrients it needed.

I later discovered that by following Atkins, I was still eating an 'acidic' nutrient-deficient diet and that had something to do with my not losing weight and experiencing cravings. Nothing against Atkins. I just wasn't doing it right by also including an abundance of vegetables, in addition to the meat and cream cheese.

I've evolved to accept and practise a 70% plant-based, raw food diet, to alkalize my body, eliminate toxins and reduce the acidity that causes cravings, inflammation and systemic disease.

If this sounds reasonable to you, consider visiting a Live Blood Analyst/Nutritionist in your area and getting a glimpse inside YOUR body to see what's actually going on and how what you're eating actually affects you.

Hollycat:flowerforyou:
  • alexisdc
    alexisdc Posts: 117 Member
    I am doing south beach. I have done this before and agree that there comes a point that calories count. I log all my food as normal and just try to get in low carb healthy foods in the allotted calories I have. I feel its good to log anyway to really see what you are actually taking in calories wise. I think we all under estimate that number :)
  • Thanks all for you replies you have all been very helpfull!