tips on running

Options
i never run in my life, think the fear of falling flat on your face
i just side up on peak running in our local area, (peak running is running from the begining moutain peak to the other, its about 40 km/ 24 miles)
but i dont know how to start running!?!?
i know put one foot infrount of the other
help

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i never run in my life, think the fear of falling flat on your face
    i just side up on peak running in our local area, (peak running is running from the begining moutain peak to the other, its about 40 km/ 24 miles)
    but i dont know how to start running!?!?
    i know put one foot infrount of the other
    help

Well you've nailed the basics, though signing up to what's essentially a marathon length course on a mountain with no previous experience sounds pretty suicidal tbh.

There's not much to it. You already know the basic technique of putting one foot in front of the other. You pretty much just keep doing that, as a pace you're comfortable with, as far as you can. Then a couple of days later you try do it a bit further. Rinse and repeat. Check your technique, if you feel strain in your shins or achilles then try a different landing technique (some people land on their heel like an exaggerated walk, that breaks my ankles so I land flat footed and bounce off). Keep going. Your times will come down and distances will go up pretty quickly. DO NOT OVERTRAIN.
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k app is awesome. Listening to something (music, talk radio, ect.) makes it so much easier as well. Yes, the basis is put one foot in front of the other, but there is much more to it than that. The hardest thing about running is that its 90% mental and 10% physical. Other than that, its a just that easy. You will have to start slow of course but once you build up an endurance than the miles just seem to fly by. The hardest mile is always the first!

Have fun and don't think about what others think.

Cheers.
  • earndien
    earndien Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Well you've nailed the basics, though signing up to what's essentially a marathon length course on a mountain with no previous experience sounds pretty suicidal
    [/quote]

its next year november so ja i got a who year
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend starting with a Couch to 5k programme or similar - they're structured to take you from not running & very unfit, to being able to run for 30 mins in 8-12 weeks, depending in on the particular one you go with. If you're unable to complete a week, then you can simply repeat it until you're ready to move on. And the great thing is, you can download an app/podcast/set of instructions free of charge! No gym fees! :wink:

Once you can do 5k, there are similar programmes such as Bridge to 10k, or programmes to train up to a half- or full marathon.

I'd definitely find some sort of structured programme, though - certainly for me, starting from nowhere and aiming for a marathon would be too overwhelming and would never happen. Aiming for 5k in 9 weeks, though, is perfectly believeable (and I've just completed week 7), so taking it a step at a time (ha!) would be the way to go...
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am using the C25K program and I love it! Here is a link to an explanation of the app I am using, there are a bunch of them out there this is just the one I like.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/c25k-a-beautiful-couch-to_n_913310.html
  • jod11171
    jod11171 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was recently told about a book called "Run Fat ***** Run" by Ruth Fieldit is quite humorous, I cant wait to start the program myself, I was on that train of thought but I had a injury to my leg and gone back to walking until it is healed properly. Good Luck!!:happy:
  • Meegz84
    Options
    I was recently told about a book called "Run Fat ***** Run" by Ruth Fieldit is quite humorous, I cant wait to start the program myself, I was on that train of thought but I had a injury to my leg and gone back to walking until it is healed properly. Good Luck!!:happy:

Was just about to recommend this very book!!! Weird concept but really works and is a good laugh to read!! Your mind is a powerful thing! Use it to your advantage!!! 13mths ago I could run a few hundred meters.. I can now comfortably do 10+km :):)
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I started running on 4/1/2012 and just recently ran my first 1/2 marathon last October. I am planning on running another 1/2 marathon while training for a full marathon sometime next summer. My suggestions:

1. Do C25K...
    2. Run some 5K races to work on your pacing and endurance
    3. When you can run three miles straight with no issues consistently, start training for a 1/2.
    4. Pick a 1/2 marathon being held a couple of months before this crazy mountain race and develop a training schedule for the 1/2.
    5. Run your 1/2 and then adjust your training to train for the full marathon in November.

Tips: Hal Higdon has written some unbelievable books on long distance running. I highly suggest you check him out. Other folks like Jeff Galloway's training style. Those books will outlay training plans, fueling plans, hydration plans, etc.

Get properly fitted for running shoes at a running store. Have them analyze your stride on a treadmill. It is worth every penny to get the proper running shoes.

I love the lofty goals! You have a year to get there...you can do it!
  • brewstar10
    brewstar10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Step 1 is to go to a Running store and have them analyze your foot, gait, running style and buy a good pair of shoes. This is crucial to having any success running. If you have pains in your shins, knees, hips, feet etc. you're not going to stick with it no matter how many books you read or apps you download. I spared no expense on my sneakers (which was hard for me because I'm the type of guy who thinks $40 is too much for shoes) and they are the best investment I have made so far. After that, I agree the C25K app is great. It eases you in to running which will again reduce injury and discomfort and increase your chances of sticking with it. I hated running and couldn't run very far before starting this app and now I look forward to my run days and am on W4D2 of the program.