Spaghetti Squash?

Options
I live in Australia and I keep seeing people on MFP talking about Spaghetti Squash and how wonderful it is, but I have never seen it here.
What it is exactly?

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I like it myself, but it is not spaghetti.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash
  • VanessaLysette3
    VanessaLysette3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's a really big squash, I don't know the right way of explaining it haha. But I think it is soo yummy and have it constantly. It's baked, cut in half, and with a fork you can easily create noodles by scraping the insides. Definitely recommended:)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Hard to find in the UK too.
    Apparently sell it in Waitrose, but I live in a bit of a cess-pit, so none near here.

Shirataki noodles are another really low calorie option, but again haven't found anywhere selling them so far.

What I have done is used leeks cut in to long segments as a replacement for pasta, which works ok, though certainly not the same.
  • lulu241
    Options
    I have a Spiralizer machine which makes spaghetti out of most veggies ie. courgettes, squash, cucumber, carrots etc. I bought it from Amazon awhile ago, iv not used it recently so might get it out tonight. Its great, you can have a massive pile of veg spaghetti either raw in salads, or cooked (stir-fried/steamed) with sauce on top and hardly any calories!!
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd update this - now managed to get some Shirataki noodles.
    Only had three left; got two to try, but went back and got the other one - a total of an hour and twenty mins cycling to get some 0 calorie noodles perhaps a bit excessive, but meant I could have icecream and cookies too :).

Anyway, very impressed so far.
    Made a (very) large plate of stir fry in the morning, then did a bolognese in the evening; pleased with the results in both cases.
    Did worry replacing italian style pasta would turn out a bit weird, but it worked very nicey. Sure, I'd preferred to have 'real' pasta, but with two decent sized servings totalling 510 calories, can't complain!
  • spozzybear
    Options
    Thanks for the update - will have to go and search for these noodles.
  • Allyice
    Allyice Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You can get the Australian brand of shiritaki noodles at Woolworths in the health food section, they're called slimpasta. They come in spaghetti, wok, angelhair and there's a couple others :)
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I too live in Australia and buy the spagetti squash at my local farmers market and it is great. Changs super low cal noodles are good too.
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian, and you can get Spaghetti Squash or Spaghetti Vegetable in South Australia. It is the size of a large rockmelon.

If you enquire at a greengrocer,they sometimes have them, or can get them in.

Or possibly google it so that you know what it looks like and will recognise it when you see it.

Good luck in you vege hunt. ; )
  • spozzybear
    Options
    You can get the Australian brand of shiritaki noodles at Woolworths in the health food section, they're called slimpasta. They come in spaghetti, wok, angelhair and there's a couple others :)

OOoooh thanks! Wil be heading to Woolies very soon.